Aloha, mai ka iulai puke SOS America!
Aloha, here is the July newsletter for SOS America!
Before we start our celebrations, I remind readers that SOS America is now on Facebook - please send me an invite so we can connect!
Many countries celebrate Independence Day in July, including:
- July 1: Somalia
- July 3: Belarus
- July 5: Venezuela and Algeria
- July 9: Argentina
- July 10: Bahamas
- July 14: Bastille Day in France
(the revolution that lead to independence)
- July 20: Columbia
- July 21: Belgium
- July 26: Maldives
- July 28: Peru
- July 30: Vanuatu
On July 4, the United States will celebrate its own independence - 244th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. I've had to good fortune to live in Boston, Baltimore, and Washington, DC to relive the historical moments of the War of Independence.
I thank our military - past and present, active duty and retired, guard and reserves, CONUS and overseas, for the opportunity to live in freedom. It is because of the military that we can read books uncensored. I was moved by RJ Matson's editorial cartoon published by the St. Louis Dispatch on Memorial Day:
THE PEN IS MIGHTY GRATEFUL TO THE SWORD
recognizing the military's sacrifice for our freedom of speech.
(scroll to May 30, 2010)
One of our SOS volunteers - Kelley from the RT Booklovers' Conventions - maintains a database of deployed personnel who request mail. If you would like to correspond with a deployed Soldier, Sailor, Airmen, Marine, or Coastie, contact Kelly at:
Kelley also accepts donations of stamps! She recently informed me that two NYT's best selling authors generously support her efforts to mail books to soldiers. Although these two authors prefer to remain unnamed, I hope to see them (and thank them) at RomCon and RWA for their support of SOS!
I also note that we have many Canadian authors who generously support SOS, so it is appropriate that we celebrate Canada Day on July 1. Wednesday Wanderings visited Canada for this special occasion:
Every commenter will receive a special treat from five Canadian authors - Kelly Armstrong, Mary Balogh, Vanessa Kelly, Ann Lethbridge, Michelle Rowan, and Lynsay Sands. Just follow the directions on Wednesday Wanderings.
And Wednesday Wanderings will be giving away books in July and August:
- July 7: Mary Gramlich, The Reading Reviewer, http://www.marygramlich.com/. Mary reviews books for several publishers and has donated 20 books for me to giveaway to SOS readers!
- July 14: Borders' RomCon. I'll giveaway books from the RomCon in Denver, http://www.romconinc.com/index.php/convention
- August 4: US Coast Guard's Birthday. I'll giveaway books from authors connected to the Coast Guard.
- August 11: RWA National Convention - I'll giveaway books from RWA in Orlando, http://www.rwanational.org/cs/conferences_and_events
I wish you the best as you celebrate Independence Day around the world!
SOS Aloha Newsletter Editor