Today I am writing about second chances. And even third chances.
You've seen my reference to Mary Gramlich, The Reading Reviewer. But I'd like you to know more about her ... and second chances.
I attended my first RT Booklovers' Convention in Daytona/2006. It was my first anything related to books. I was curious to meet the women behind the covers. On the last day, I met Mary and Sandy in line for the book fair. They gave me helpful hints to navigate it. We even exchanged email addresses. After Daytona, we may have sent each other an email or two, but we returned to our busy lives - mine in Baltimore and Mary's in St. Louis.
Nine months would pass before I called Mary to tell her about the Old Fashioned Tea Party that I organized for military spouses and romance authors at Fort Meade. I was in hog heaven and I wanted to share this moment with Mary. Fate gave me a second chance.
I roomed with Mary and Sandy at the RT Booklovers' Convention in Houston/2007. They were quiet readers who went to bed early while I stayed out all night. I literally dragged them out of bed at midnight to help Christina Skye and Bobbi Smith set up for their breakfast party. To this day, we laugh at how we "got lost" in the basement, kitchen, and other odd places with a luggage cart full of books!
I thank Mary for her encouragement. I thank her for donating books she reviews to the SOS book giveaways. I thank Mary for serving as the shipping agent for the TWRP spotlight - it would have been difficult to ship that large of a quantity to/from Hawaii.
But most of all, I thank Mary for believing in me!
I am giving Mary the day off from shipping books. Instead, I'll giveway from my stash that offer us second chances - holiday books!
- A Christmas Ball (Anthology), Jennifer Ashley, Emily Bryan, and Alissa Johnson
- Here Comes Santa Clause (Anthology), Sandra Hill, Kate Holmes, Trish Jensen
- I'm Your Santa (Anthology), Lori Foster, Dianne Castell, Karen Kelley
- One Candlelit Christmas (Anthology), Julia Justiss, Annie Borrows, Terri Brisbin
- The Heart of Christmas (Anthology), Mary Balogh, Nicola Cornick, Courtney Milan
- Winter Heat (Anthology) Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jade Lee, Anna DeStefano
- A Creed Country Christmas, Linda Lael Miller
- Blue Christmas, Mary Kay Andrews
- The Christmas Clock, Kat Martin
To enter the book giveaway,
1. Contact Kelley at Columbussos@gmail.com to join Operation Holiday Card. It is our goal to ensure that 1000 deployed airmen, marines, sailors, soldiers, and Coast Guardsmen receive a holiday card.
I am promoting Operation Holiday Card through November 12 - if you have signed up, thank you!
2. Check out Mary's blog, http://marygramlich.blogspot.com/.
3. Leave a comment about RT, book fairs, second chances, and friend's encouragement.
The book giveaway is open to US residents only. Comments will be open through November 2 for the book giveaway.
Join us tomorrow as we welcome K.M. Daughters, http://www.kmdaughters.com/.
K.M. is a collaboration of two sisters - it's a fascinating story that I know you'll enjoy!
Kim in Hawaii
Registration is now open for the RT Booklovers' Convention.
April 6 -10, 2011 in LA!
I'll be there!