|When I lived in Boston, women fought over designer |
wedding dresses at Filene's Basement.
Kim: You bio addresses your dual life,
sparkling wine), and a shady courtyard with a great book. I'm actually writing this on Valentine's Day, so here goes: ti amo. I love you.I like risotto (creamy rice), with prosecco (
|Fabio from Top Chef All Stars|
He's Italian and makes a mean risotto
Mahalo, Eloisa, for joining us at SOS Aloha! In honor of your visit, Mary Gramlich, The Reading Reviewer, is giving away her review copy of WHEN BEAUTY TAMED THE BEAST. Mary posted her review on her blog.
Love is the ability to see past the beast to the inner beauty we all have.
To enter the giveaway,
1. Leave a comment about your favorite book by Eloisa, your favorite Italian food, and/or favorite beast at the zoo. Mine is the lion (see post script).
2. This giveaway is open to US residents only. Comments are open through Sunday, February 20, 10 pm in Hawaii to enter the giveaway.
3. If you are a new to SOS Aloha (US or international), I would like to share Aloha with you. Send your mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org for a Hawaiian treat!
Kim in Hawaii
|Apollo at the Honolulu Zoo|
I have several post scripts:
1. Speaking of beasts, today our Cub Scout Pack is visiting the Honolulu Zoo's Twilight Tour:
What sort of monkey business takes place at twilight at Honolulu Zoo? Learn about the lives of the zoo's remarkable citizens. It's a fun evening of education never experienced by day visitors.4.
2. Eloisa's website include a link to an article she wrote, Of Rice and Men. Her discussion of risotto and prosecco reminds me of the Italian officers when I worked for NATO. He was a widower and routinely invited the American females to his house for dinner. Before you mind wanders in that direction, he wanted to expose his teenage children to English speakers. Luckily he lived around the corner from me so I could wddle home after stuffing myself on pasta, fish, and wine.
I'll share my visit to his homes in Turin and Latina for a future blog. Sigh ... Italy is a magical place.
3. The hero from WHEN BEAUTY TAMED THE BEAST is Piers Yelverton, Earl of Marchant, who "lives in a castle in Wales where, it is rumored, his bad temper flays everyone he crosses."
Most American readers will think of Fox's popular doctor House. But I think of the town of Yelverton in Devonshire, England. Yelverton is located in the southwest corner of Dartmoor, overlooking Plymouth. It is the home of prehistoric huts, standing stones, and Buckland Abbey. Buckland Abbey is cared by the National Trust:
Buckland Abbey was home to Cistercian monks, who built the Abbey and the incredible Great Barn and farmed the then vast estate. The Abbey was later converted into a home by Sir Richard Grenville and then bought by Sir Francis Drake. It now has a combination of furnished rooms and interactive galleries which tell the story of how these two men changed the shape of the house and the fate of the country. Discover the Buckland estate, the meadows, the orchards and the late spring bluebells. Enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the Tavy Valley and the far-reaching views.