Monday, June 1, 2015

Aloha to L.A. Kornetsky and CLAWED, A Gin and Tonic Mystery - Book Review

23492697

In this fourth mystery in the charming and witty Gin & Tonic series, private investigators Ginny and Teddy—with the help of their faithful pets—must unravel their most intriguing case yet…

Even though she’s unlicensed as an investigator, the infamously nosy Ginny Mallard and her cohort Teddy Tonica have begun to make a name for themselves in solving cases. But Ginny still has her day job as an event planner, and the promise of a lucrative job draws her to Portland, with her shar-pei puppy, Georgie, in tow. Much to her shock and horror, however, she’s been led there under false pretenses—and discovers a body in the parlor of her client's house!

Though the cops warn her to keep her nose out of it, Ginny just can't resist the itch to solve this case, and soon gets drawn into Portland's seedy underbelly of identity theft, forgery, and of course, murder…with Teddy and his cat Penny's devoted sleuthing helping her at every turn.


Vintage Image of Portland, 1890
Public Domain (link)

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine. - Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), Casablanca

Ginny walked into Mary's neighborhood bar ... and might borrow Rick's other famous line, "Teddy, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."  Ginny (with George the dog) and Teddy (with Penny the cat) have turned their friendship into a budding hobby of private investigation in three previous novels.  For their fourth adventure, CLAWED, Ginny's event planning business takes her (and George) out of town, leaving Teddy (and Penny) out of sorts.  Yet Portland welcomes Ginny with a dead body in the house of her new client.  Although the police (and Teddy) advise her to let the "pros" do their job, Ginny can't but take an interest in the murder mystery.  While Ginny (and George) poke their nose around Portland, Teddy (and Penny) run background checks on the victim and the client.  Teddy ultimately joins Ginny in Portland where they uncover nefarious dealings in the suburbs.

CLAWED is a lighthearted cozy mystery laced with humor, friendship, and fur therapy.  The plot follows the standard path with false leads and unorthodox methods.  Kornetsky keeps it fresh with the unique relationship between humans and pets.   Think Cheers meets Lassie.


I received an ARC from Pocket Books for an honest review.



I am giving away a copy of CLAWED to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,


1.  Leave a comment about Portland - have you visited the Rose City?  I have not but I am curious to visit it!

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, June 6, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, June 7.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about L.A., her books, and her alter ego at lauraannegilman.net.


135473041757119818775482

8 comments:

  1. I have never been to Portland & know next to nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I've never visited but I do have two very good Internet friends who live in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never visited Portland, but I would like to see the city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been my my niece lived there for quite a few years and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Portland. That cover is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several relatives in Portland. My dad spent his high school days there. I have been there to see relatives but not for many years now. Would love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, I have never visited Portland. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete