Yesterday I received the July issue of RWA's monthly magazine, Romance Writers' Report, including the following articles:
- Bobbi Dumas (founder of Read A Romance Month, link) authored The Growing Global Romance Celebration, reporting on her recent trips to Paris and Berlin for international romance events. She wrote,
Romance fandom is alive and well in Europe, no matter the language.
- Myretta Robens (historical romance author, link) offered an insider's look at the filming of a documentary about romance writing in Behind the Scenes - Love Between the Covers. She quoted the filmmaker Laura Kahn,
I wanted to capture the community's pay-it-forward spirit, its entrepreneurial energy, its global reach, its tech savvy, and the way it nurtures long-lasting meaningful friendships.
- Alyssa Day (paranormal romance author, link), combines advice from writers who experience depression (including herself) On Writers and Depression: You're Not Alone. She noted,
Luckily, we're members of Romance Writers of America. We've got an entire international tribe of fellow creatives who have our backs. With that in mind, I contacted some of the people in my tribe, fellow writers who've shared their own struggles with depression with me, so that we could present a panel on what depression looks like, how we manage, and what advice we'd give you if you're in that leaky boat with us. I also talked to my agentabout her experiences with clients with depression. Our first and best advice? Remember that you are not alone, and that depression lies.
Wounded warrior Greg Gadson (3rd from left)
starred in BATTLESHIP (my favorite movie)
I want to let my readers know that you can always contact me via email, email@example.com, if you need to talk. I have your back.
For me, romance books offer an escape from the factors that can contribute to depression. I often finish a romance book feeling a little better about my life. So let's giveaway a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter. To enter the giveaway,
1. Leave a comment about what you have planned for this weekend. For Americans, it is Independence Day Holiday Weekend. I'll be packing for my trip next week to San Diego. But I will pause to appreciate the freedom I enjoy every day.
2. Comments are open through Saturday, July 9, 10 pm in Baltimore.
3. I'll post the winner on Sunday, July 10.
Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City