Thursday, December 7, 2017

Remembering "Infamy" with Pamela Clare and BREAKING POINT



Today is the 76th Anniversary of the "date which will live in infamy". The Japanese targeted numerous military sites on the island of Oahu, including Pearl Harbor, Hickam Field, Barbers Point, and Kaneohe Bay.  As most of you know, I lived on Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam from 2009-2013.  It was an unique opportunity to pay tribute each year to the military and civilians who responded valiantly to the surprise attack.  


After meeting romance author Pamela Clare (link) in 2010, I learned her Uncle Joe was aboard the USS Utah, a training ship, when it sunk on December 7, 1941.  In 2011, she published BREAKING POINT, Book 5 in her I Team series ... and she asked me to review it.  At first I was hesitant; Romantic Suspense is not my preferred genre.  However, I loved this book ... and I read portions of it to Uncle Joe as I sat on the deck overlooking the USS Utah.  I think he loved the book, too.

Image result for aloha on my mind uss utah
USS Utah Memorial in Pearl Harbor

Yesterday, Pamela posted this on her Facebook page:

I was reminded of the power of romantic fiction last night when a reader friend told me she'd been inspired by BREAKING POINT (I-Team #5) to become a nurse so she could work with people suffering from PTSD. Zach, the hero of that novel, had PTSD from combat experience as a SEAL in Afghanistan.

My reader announced has completed her nurse's training and now has a job helping people like Zach.

In honor of Danielle's fantastic achievement, here's an excerpt from BREAKING POINT.


Check out her Facebook page for the excerpt at this link.

9314304

I thank Pamela for posting this tribute to her reader ... and her reader for serving our veterans.  As we take time to remember Pearl Harbor (and the other sites on Oahu), let us live a life that honors their sacrifices.  

I am giving away Hawaiian swag to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about WWII - do you have a favorite book (any genre), TV show, or movie from this time period?

My father, a Korean Era Army veteran, loved HOGAN'S HEROES.


2.  Comments are open through Sunday, December 31, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Monday, January 1.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Check out my review of BREAKING POINT at this link.

Check out a guest post from Pamela about Uncle Jo at this link.


Image result for sos aloha punchbowl

11 comments:

  1. My father loved HOGAN'S HEROES too. He never missed an episode. M*A*S*H was a big favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Band of Brothers and The Pacific are two of my favorite miniseries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. somewhat do but not sure of the names

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post Kim. My Dad also loved Hogan's Hero's and Mash. I loved The movie The Sullivan Brothers and Band of Brothers.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have several that some to mind. Saving Private Ryan and THe Longest Day are just two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say Band of Brothers and Pearl Harbor are two but there have been so many.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Longest Day is one of my favorites. I loved the book Winds of War. My dad was USN and was on one of 3 tankers travelling back & forth from Pearl Harbor and San Diego on Dec 7th. Mom, of course, didn't know where exactly he was until much later. Kate Sparks girlygirlhoosier52@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember one of the older men at church, Mr. Coleman, describing what it was like to be there that day.

    I remember watching reruns of McHale's Navy and Hogan's Heroes when I was a kid.

    I've been to Pearl Harbor and it was one of the most solemn places I've ever been.

    denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always enjoyed the movie Pearl Harbor, despite its historical inaccuracies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all.
    Me too, Hogan's Heroes. My dad and several of his brothers were served in WW2. Saving Private Ryan and Pearl Harbor are 2 of my fav war movies.

    ReplyDelete