Thursday, May 19, 2011

Aloha to Deb Marlowe and HOW TO MARRY A RAKE



Two heroes make my heart sing - one stars in Hawaii Five O and the other can be found in Regency Romances.   For Hawaii Five O, check out my guest blog at The Reading Reviewer.  For Regency Romances, join me in welcoming one of my favorite authors, Deb Marlowe.  From her bio,

Deb Marlowe grew up in Pennsylvania with her nose in a book. Luckily, she’d read enough romances to recognize the true modern hero she met at a college Halloween party—even though he wore a tuxedo t-shirt instead of breeches and tall boots. They married, settled in North Carolina and produced two handsome, intelligent and genuinely amusing boys. Though she spends much of her time with her nose in her laptop, for the sake of her family she does occasionally abandon her inner world for the domestic adventure of laundry, dinner and carpool. Despite her sacrifice, not one of the men in her family is yet willing to don breeches or tall boots. She’s working on it.

Deb loves to hear from readers! You can contact her at deb@debmarlowe.com

Tux or Regency - which do you prefer?

Kim:  I enjoyed the humor in how you met your personal hero (even without breeches and tall boots). Has this inspired any plots in your books? What other sources inspire your books?

Deb:  Well, I have to say that the heroine in my next book, tentatively titled The Marauding Marquess, has a decided preference for men in boots—but that’s as far as I’ve taken that particular idiosyncrasy. 

As for other sources—an idea can come from anywhere! From a painting or a line in a song, for instance. But since I am a major history geek, the majority of my ideas are spawned by historical research. I never understand it when people think history is boring—because in many instances truth really is stranger than fiction!


Kim:  How did you break into publishing? Can you tell us a little about how it is to write your own story and then collaborate as you have with THE DIAMONDS OF WELLBOURNE MANOR
Deb:  I broke into publishing from the slushpile, with a little nudge from my lovely and multi-talented mentor, Nicola Cornick, who was so very kind enough to tell her editor that she had a good manuscript waiting on her attention.

As for the Diamonds of Welbourne Manor, there was a lot of collaboration going on with that anthology! Diane and Amanda and I came up with the Manning/Fitzmanning family together and we worked very closely on connecting all three stories. For the follow up books, it was a little different. I was the first one to write a spin-off, so I came up with a conflict and story and ran it by the other two. We talked about where/what the other characters would be doing at the time. Luckily, Stephen’s story takes place away in the racing town of Newmarket, so I just mentioned the other family members and didn’t have to worry about locking Diane or Amanda into anything.

cardmine.co.uk

Kim:  Your new book, HOW TO MARRY A RAKE, spotlights England's fascination with horse racing.  Do you have any personal experience with horses and/or racing? Where did you draw upon resources for your research?

Deb:  I only have a little first hand experience with horses, but I was a typical girl—fascinated with them! The research for Newmarket and the racing scene that is featured in HTMAR was mostly done through research books and online sights. I’m a fiend for that sort of thing, and like to research the pants off of a subject so I can feel grounded when I’m writing about it.

  


Kim:  What's next for Deb Marlowe?

Deb:  Later this year Harlequin Mills and Boon is re-releasing my first two books in a two-in-one volume. Titled Regency Rebels, it will feature Scandalous Lord, Rebellious Miss and An Improper Aristocrat.

Next year will see the release of The Marauding Marquess (final title to be determined), the story of a reclusive nobleman and the woman he hires to help him organize and display his incredible weapons collection. It’s an adventurous romance with such disparate elements as a mysterious Hindu spear, party planning, an obsession with men in boots and the very difficult feat of dropping the masks we hide behind in order to embrace love.


Mahalo, Deb, for swapping tall boots and breaches for flip flop and boar shorts!  In honor of Deb's visit, I am giving away a copy of HOW TO MARRY A RAKE:
 
Back from Europe, heiress Mae Halford has mended her heart after her friend Stephen Manning's rejection. Looking radiant and full of confidence, she's ready to find herself a husband!
 
Only the first man she bumps into at a Newmarket house party is Lord Stephen himself! When the two find themselves covertly working together to find a missing prized racehorse, romance blossoms.
 
But can Mae believe that Stephen has changed enough that their adventure will lead to the altar?

Audley End House and Stables ... 
.... perfect country house for horse racing!

Click on this link for an excerpt. To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about a costume that would interest you in a man - tuxedo?  Tall boots and breeches?  Cape and fanged teeth?

2.  This giveaway is open to all readers.  

3.  Comments are open through Saturday, May 21, 10 pm, in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, May 22.

Mahalo,

Kim


I look forward to seeing Deb and other Regency writers at the
Beau Monde Conference during the RWA National Convention in NYC. 

See if any of your favorite authors are nominated for the RITA at this link.

31 comments:

  1. Firstly, that last picture, Kim, is one of my favorite Regencies. And thanks for stopping by, Deb! The book looks great!

    As for me, I am a sucker for a man in uniform. Seriously. My husband is USAF Reserve, so he only wears his BDU's (Battle Dress Uniform) once a month. But when he does... Wow. My little heart goes pitter-patter in a major way. That's not to say, however, that I wouldn't be tickled pink to get him into a pair of breeches and tall boots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Alyssia! Oooh, I'm sure your hubby would be striking in breeches and boots!

    I'm with you on a man in uniform. It just strikes all the right notes, doesn't it? :-)

    The Regency is rife with men in great uniforms, due to the Napoleonic Wars. Check out Sean Bean as Sharpe in various uniforms, here:
    http://sharpecompendium.net/uniforms.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for those tall boots and breeches! I totally blame Darcy (Colin) for that one. The new book sounds great Deb, really like the horses theme... If you can call it that. The hat in the picture is so stylish, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb,

    Thanks for a great interview and I'm looking forward so much to reading this book. Who doesn't like a man in uniform? It always add so much more excitement to the man. Personally, I adore the Regency dress for men, ooh, those tight breeches and those shiny black Hessians. It fair makes me all tingly all over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Interview! I love to hear a slush-pile rescue story.

    Some men, I think, are just made for period clothing: Jeremy Irons, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kirsten! I'm glad I'm not alone in my obsession, I'll be sure to point the dh over here so he can see it first hand!

    And yes--don't you love the cover?! That saucy look is just Mae all over! And the dress. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, Diane D! The boots, it's all about the boots! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy! So glad to see you!

    I can continue that list! Let's see, Colin Firth has been mentioned, how about Jeremy Northam, Richard Armitage, Sean Bean--although he's rocking fantasy/medieval right now in Game of Thrones--Who else? This could be a seriously fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the game of thrones. prince harry and william. joseph fiennes in shakesphere in love, henry cavil & johathan rhys meyers in the tudors, especially henry cavil. colin firth in anything. jason issacs in harry potter and the patriot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree with the man-in-uniform thing. There isn't anything better a man can be dressed in, well except maybe a kilt. Gotta love a nice sturdy man in a kilt. :)
    I love the cover, especially the colour of the dress. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chrisbails--oh, yes, I luurve Jason Isaacs! Did you see him as Hook?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll go right along with the image of a manly man in a kilt, ClaudiaGC. Gerard Butler springs to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm definitely a sucker for a man in tall boots and breeches! I loved the Regency look for men and wish it was back in style...lol.
    Love the covers to Deb's books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How about a combo of tux and cape and fangs? Sounds like a great combination to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Maria--I've had some lovely covers, thanks to Harlequin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. June, I was waiting for someone with a preference for fangs! For me, it's Erik Northman all the way! Although I don't think I've seen him in a tux on Trueblood, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb's book sounds great. I especially like the tie in to horse racing, since Hubby and I just returned from the Kentucky Derby (great fun.)

    What kind of man costume do I like best? Hmmmm...Tuxedo is very good; uniform is nice; kilt of, course, is always welcome. So many choices! My own guy generally tools around in golf shorts and polo shirts, so I'll go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What is it with boots, horses and uniforms lol. Love them all. The only thing I don't care for are the wigs lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fasinating interview loved it ! A man in a costume mmmmm let me think I would have to say definitely in boots and some kind of uniform much like Catslady described !

    ReplyDelete
  20. LSUReader--How fun it must have been to attend the Kentucky Derby! It's actually fun to think about how different horse racing was in Regency England. I've got an article about it on my website;
    http://www.debmarlowe.com/special/behindbook.shtml

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lot of readers say that, catslady. But I don't mind those Georgians with their wigs, frock coats and swords. They were always misbehaving so deliciously. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks desere! I think we are united in our love of men in boots!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love a man in a military uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It just screams honor and dignity and Manly, doesn't it, Estella?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Omigosh, Deb, I can't believe you mentioned Richard Sharpe! LOVE the Cornwell novels, and especially Sean Bean in the famous lead role. When I was researching for my little Napoleonic romp (Return to Me), I, too, watched those movies like nobody's business. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I would love to see someone dressed during the regency era. I think it would be fascinating.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like the perfect inspiration, Alyssia!

    Debby--You and me too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Deb. Your books sound wonderful and I'd love to read one. In real life, I love a man in a tuxedo, but for my fantasy, it's all about how well he fills out those breeches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for a great day, Kim and everyone! I've loved hanging out and discussing hunky men in uniforms and boots!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My Name is, Paula James from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete