Friday, February 12, 2016

Aloha to Willa Blair and SWEETIE PIE - Book Reivew

25445709

Makenna Stewart flees Scotland for the Big Island of Hawaii intent on making real a cherished dream—-a bakery of her own. Hard work and long hours leave Makenna craving some fun in her life. Her best customer, Greek-god sexy surfer Tom may be just what she needs, but she suspects there’'s more to him than board shorts and a devastating smile.

Retired professional surfer and real-estate multi-millionaire Tom Bensford is there when she opens every morning, but he’'s not craving her magical Morning Glory muffins. Fascinated by the dark-haired, blue-eyed wahine with the creamy Celtic skin and devastating Scottish accent, he’'s never met a woman like her. Too bad he’'s about to destroy her dreams.


To him, it’'s just business. To her, it’'s the kind of betrayal she fled Scotland to escape. Can the island magic in Makenna's heritage save her dream and their romance, or will his secret tear them apart?



Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park
"Place of Refuge"

He kehau ho`oma`ema`e ke aloha.
Love is like a cleansing dew.
- Hawaiian proverb

Willa Blair is known for her Scottish historical paranormal romance.  She changes genres with a modern Scottish lass who escapes to the Big Island of Hawaii.  After a painful break up and regretable job loss in Scotland, Makenna Stewart arrives in Kona to start her life anew among her mother's family.   She opens a bakery, Sweetie Pie, to infuse Scottish recipes with island flavors.  As she builds her business, Makenna finds herself flirting every morning with her first customer of the day.  Tom Bensford seems like a slacker surfer, but he is a real estate mogul and community philanthropist.  He is attracted to Makenna for her Gaelic accent, work ethic, and optimism. Tom holds back from disclosing his real estate business, including owning the building which houses Sweetie Pie, to ensure Makenna likes appreciates his personality, not his bank account.

SWEETIE PIE is a delicious pupu - Hawaiian word for appetizer. Blair delivers a sweet novella that captures the Aloha spirit of the island. I enjoyed following Tom's wooing of Makenna - surf lessons, sunset dinners, up country bar-b-que.  I commend Blair for incorporating Hawaiian culture into the plot.  The creme de la creme was Makenna's Auntie, who suggested baking ginger into her sweet treats to capture Tom's heart.  As Makenna noted, match making is all same in the Highlands or in the Pacific.

SWEETIE PIE was an entertaining escape to the Big Island of Hawaii.  My only complaint is it was over just as I became comfortable with the characters.  I would like to read more about Makenna, Tom, their families and their friends in future books.

I received a digital copy from the author for an honest review.

Learn more about Willa and her books at willablair.com.


Punalu'u Black Sand Beach

I am giving away Hawaiian swag to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway.

1.  Do you have a favorite bakery?  Favorite sweet treat?   I enjoy a chocolate croissant from Bonaparte Breads in Savage Mill (link).

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, February 13, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, February 14.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


18 comments:

  1. My supermarket has it's own bakery. Freshly baked each day. I love their iced finger buns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is only one bakery in my hometown. But I love the raisinbuns they sell :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. too many faves to like just one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm off sugar so I haven't visited a bakery in awhile. We do have two new bakeries in town I will have to visit though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gluten free and have yet to find a bakery who makes great pastries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. one of our local bakeries just closed. I do love the cupcakes from Flavor Cupcakery (Bel Air and Cockeysville, MD). They won on Cupcake Wars.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Paczki from Busy Bee bakery in Downers Grove, IL

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a wonderful bakery, Oakmont, and I love white almond cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love foodie romances.

    I do actually have a favorite bakery but it's not a bakery it's more of a bakery/deli. I found an Armenian Bakery/deli that makes the most delicious baklava I've ever had. It's rolled instead of in square pieces and I've had baklava before but this is so much better than anything I've had anywhere else. And the guy who owns the place gives me samples of his other sweets when I go in there hoping I'll buy other things. lol And I have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have several favorites, but Tai Pan Bakery is at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love just about all desserts, fruit, pies, chocolate cake, cream pies, cheesecake.

    The bakery section at Stop and Shop is great and the Italian bakery near where my Mom lived was awesome.

    ladbookfan

    ReplyDelete
  12. there's an excellent Italian bakery about fifteen minutes from me - yummy pastries and fabulous breads!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No like all kinds
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the chocolate chocolate chip bundlets from Nothing Bundt Cakes. They are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter has a wonderful bakery about three blocks from her house. Well Bread in Weaverville, NC is wonderful. It is a good thing I don't live any closer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have an awesome and delicious bakery near us that has to-die-for sweets! I try not to be near it too often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Try not to eat too many sweets. But like Carvel and BAsking Robbins cakes.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete