Last Wednesday, before the RWA Annual Convention kicked off, we searched for SEALs ...
Join Navy veteran Cathy Maxwell, Navy spouse Anne Elizabeth, and Air Force veteran Kim Lowe for a driving tour of Navy Base Coronado. We’ll drive by historic sights such as “Camp Trouble,” where Naval aviation was born. We’ll walk in the footsteps of the first commander’s wife, Wallis Warfield, who later became the Duchess of Windsor. Today, Navy Base Coronado is a consortium of eight installations providing support for 16 helicopter squadrons, two fixed wing squadrons, two aircraft carriers, four SEAL Teams, and Navy Expeditionary Combat Command squadrons. Our tour will give you a glimpse of military life with a retired Navy SEAL as our narrator.
I thank those who made this possible - Heather Ashby, AJ Brower, Anne Elizabeth, and Cathy Maxwell.
|USS Theodore Roosevelt|
Public Domain (link)
The highlights include ...
- We drove by the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
- We watched helicopters hover over the flightline.
- We noticed decoy coyotes on the flightline to keep the birds away.
- We wiggled our toes on Breakers Beach.
- We spotted the current BUD/S class repelling over the sand dunes along the Silver Strand.
- We stopped at McP's Irish Pub for refreshments; the pub is owned by former SEAL Greg McPartlin, author of COMBAT CORPSMAN.
On Wednesday night, RWA hosted its annual Literacy Signing, raising over $39,000 for literacy programs (and over $1M as a cumulative total for the signings). RWA donated several boxes of books to the USO - thank you!
I thank my sisters in arms - veterans turned authors - Heather Ashby, AJ Brower, Megan J., Merline Lovelace, Anna Richland, and Tamara W. for boxing up the books for our military families.
I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter. To enter the giveaway,
1. Leave a comment about your favorite beach - Breakers Beach reminded me of Barking Sands on the Navy's Pacific Missile Range on Kauai.
2. Comments are open through Saturday, July 23, 10 pm in Baltimore.
3. I'll post the winner on Sunday, July 24.
Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City