Monday, November 21, 2016
Weekly Winners and Giving Thanks
We have winners at SOS Aloha! Catslady, Debby, and Molly win a book choice from my convention stash.
This week Americans prepare for Thanksgiving. How can be best appreciate what we have? Here's a few ideas ...
1. Volunteer. My family volunteers at our church, through the Boy Scouts, and with our high school. I have to admit that volunteering has helped soothe some of the uneasiness I have felt since the election. Looking for an opportunity volunteer? Check out volunteermatch.org.
2. Donate. Too many Americans struggle to feed their families. My small church adopted 10 families and prepared Thanksgiving baskets for them. Since my family loves vegetables, we donated corn and green beans! You can help, too, by contacting a food bank near you:
3. Be Kind. Last Saturday, my church hosted a "treasures" sale for holiday shopping. An older gentleman shuffled into the room and spend an hour looking around. He asked me for advice on what to buy for his family. In the end, I gave him a discount for volume shopping. He thanked me for my time and blessed me in Arabic. I hugged him and said that his family was always welcome at our church. The hug cost me nothing ... but gave me the satisfaction that I acted like an American. Christian. Veteran.
4. Go to the library. We are blessed as a nation to have public libraries ... so use them! Libraries are more than books ... they offer multi media education and entertainment. Remember, use them or loose them.
5. Turn off the television, computer, and cell phone. We have been oversaturated with instant news and reality TV. For Thanksgiving, let us celebrate each other. Play a game. Take a walk. Write cards to deployed personnel - send me an email at email@example.com, for a list of those who are defending our freedom away from home.
What are your plans for Thanksgiving? One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Sunday, November 27, 10 pm in Baltimore. I'll post the winner on Sunday, November 28.
Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City