Today is my final doubleheader with a guest post at The Reading Reviewer, spotlighting Linda Francis Lee's EMILY AND EINSTEIN at this link.
Nancy (left), Eileen (right), and Tracy (below)
Friday brought breakfast with Nancy Gideon (which I won in Operation Auction). Mary Gramlich was having breakfast Tracy Anne Warren so we joined forces at the same table. Nancy shared her road to publishing. Her roommate, Eileen Dreyer, stopped by our table and I took a picture. But let me just say that none of us looked like beauty queens that early in the morning .... so the picture remains in the vault.
After making myself presentable, I popped into Mary Jo Putney's chat moderated by Cara Elliott (both are Word Wenches). Cara joined Mary and I for coffee ... and we bumped into other friends.
It is always fun to talk to Sally MacKenzie! Nearby was Roxanne St. Claire and Kate Douglas. Kate's son lives in Hawaii so I hope to see her soon!
I skipped lunch to haul more boxes to the post office. I rushed back for the Grand Central Publishing book signing, giving me the opportunity to meet many guests who have appeared at SOS Aloha. I took a quick nap before the RWA Awards Ceremony. The Golden Heart is awarded to unpublished manuscripts in 10 catagories. The RITA is awarded to published novels in 12 catagories. The winners are listed at this link.
Cathy Maxwell was nominated for the RITA/Regency Historical Romance for HIS CHRISTMAS PLEASURE. She invited me to be her guest at the VIP tables. Our table was a lucky as it include (left to right):
- Diana Van Dyke and her husband; Diana won the Golden Heart for Romantic Suspense with her manuscript, SPY IN THE MIRROR.
- Jodi Thomas and guest; Jodi won the RITA for Novel with Strong Romantic Elements for WELCOME TO HARMONY. I have never been that close to the RITA statue!
- Shelly Bates and her guest, presenter of the RITA for Inspirational Romance
- Lucia Macro, Avon Romance Executive Editor
- Cathy Maxwell, Navy Vet, NYT best selling author, and signing roommate.
Cathy and I found friends from the Washington Romance Writers, including Diane Gaston (second from left).
And my final picture - KT Grant and Roxanne St. Claire dressed to the nines! I am giving away a book of choice from my RT stash to one randomly selected commenter. To enter the giveaway,
1. Leave a comment about what you would wear to an awards ceremony - satin? sequins? good luck charm?
I wore a black dress with fuschia flowers - a modern take on a MuuMuu. Hey, I go for comfort!
2. This giveaway is open to all readers.
3. Comments are open through Saturday, July 9, 10 pm in Hawaii. I'll post the winners on Sunday, July 10.
Kim in Dayton