Monday, December 7, 2015

Aloha to Olivia Dade and BROKEN RESOLUTIONS


From One to Many:

The Creation of the Lovestruck Librarians Series

by Olivia Dade

When I first wrote Broken Resolutions, my debut contemporary romance, I didn’t intend to make it part of a series. In fact, I assumed it would never see the light of day.

The only previous book I’d written had found its home in the dusty depths of my hard drive. For good reason, too. It lacks what is popularly known as “a plot.” (Turns out, your book can’t just contain chapters of your couple bantering and having hot monkey sex. Who knew?)

The Romance Writers of America conference last year inspired me to do something a little different. I attended a session discussing how novellas could help tighten your prose and allow you to experiment with different stories without a huge time commitment.

Perfect, I thought. Why don’t I try writing a novella? One with an actual plot?

So I did. I wrote the story of Penny Callahan, a quiet librarian whose previous lovers had invariably cheated on and lied to her. Understandably, she’d made a New Year’s Resolution to swear off men until she got her head straight. And then I threw her together with temptation—in the form of sexy but reticent accountant Jack Williamson, who was really John Williamson, reclusive bestselling writer—for an entire night of provocative shenanigans at the library.

Lies, lust, and the library. All the things I love, packed into one short book!

To my shock and delight, Broken Resolutions didn’t end up in a digital graveyard alongside my first book. Instead, I got offers to publish it—as part of a series.

Which startled me, honestly. I hadn’t really planned on other books written in that same world, much as I’d loved playing there. But when I read over the book again, I saw that some tiny part of my brain had understood the series possibility and just hadn’t bothered to tell the rest of me. I’d set up the perfect character for a sequel with Penny’s outspoken boss, Angie. I’d mentioned another coworker, a timid woman named Mary. And I could expand from there as needed in future books.

So I gave Penny good friends and a safe place for her to share her joy and heartbreak. And when I read my book yet again, I realized I’d fixed a problem I hadn’t even consciously recognized.

In my first version of the story, I’d made Penny too emotionally isolated. Too alone throughout the tumultuous process of falling in love. My books are romantic comedies, after all. They need sweetness and warmth to suffuse their bawdiness. The circle of female friends I created provided the comfort and optimism the story had been missing.

Suddenly, my book didn’t stand alone anymore. Neither did my heroine.

In a perfect world, none of us would either. So I’m wishing each of you a safe place for your joy and your heartbreak, and a trusted circle of friends to see you through both. Happy reading!

LOVE BETWEEN THE LINES

Romance has never had a happy ending for librarian Penny Callahan, who could write the book on cheating, heartbreaking liars. So she’s made a resolution: no men for the next twelve months. If she can just get through the library’s New Year’s Eve singles night, she can return home to her pajamas and a good book. But when she finds herself checking out a hot hunk with an irresistible smile, an evening in the stacks becomes a lot more tempting…

Reclusive author Jack Williamson never should have trusted his mother. Even though he’s trying to avoid being recognized, she guilts him into attending a dating meet-and-greet—where an adorable librarian makes him question his lonely lifestyle. Is this just a fleeting, flirty scene? Or could love be the next chapter for them both?




Olivia Dade grew up an undeniable—and proud—nerd, prone to ignoring the world around her as she read any book she could find. Her favorite stories, though, were always romances. As an adult, she earned an M.A. in American history and worked in a variety of jobs that required her to hide her bawdy interior under a demure exterior: Colonial Williamsburg interpreter, high school teacher, academic tutor, and (of course) librarian. Finally, though, she realized the call of the hussy could no longer be denied. So now she writes contemporary romantic comedy with plenty of sex, banter, and nerdery. When not writing, she cooks alongside her husband, and dabbles in photography. Visit her on the web at oliviadade.com.








23 comments:

  1. Love this post, Olivia! And I can't wait to have the entire series on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mia! I'm so excited about this book--and the next, which stars Penny's boss Angie. She lacks a fully functioning brain-mouth filter, so she's a blast to write!

      Delete
  2. I so love the premise of this book! I love when stories show the supportive network of friends, who help the heroine or give her a kick if needed. Looking forward to all of the librarians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I really love a close circle of female friends (in romances and in real life) too. I get nervous when heroines are too isolated!

      Delete
    2. ...and it appears my past online life has come back to haunt me. At least it doesn't involve naked photos!

      Delete
  3. Great post! Sounds like a fun book. I love hearing about the creation of novels and books in a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I loved writing the book, and I hope readers enjoy it just as much. :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. If you read the books, I hope you get a kick out of the setting and the characters!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. If you decide to read the book, I really hope you enjoy it. :-)

      Delete
  6. sounds good......can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! If you love nerds and a bit of bawdiness, I hope you'll enjoy it. :-)

      Delete
  7. The premise is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby! I'm a former librarian, so I love setting my books in the library (AKA nerd paradise).

      Delete
  8. Always nice to hear about new to me authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you pick up my book, I hope you love my hero and heroine. They were so much fun to write. :-)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on the publication of your first book! It sounds like the beginning of a great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BookLady! I'm just now writing the fifth book, and I'm realizing that each one has its own strengths. The heroine of the second, for instance, may be my all-time favorite. The third is my hottest. And my fourth is my funniest, I think.

      I'm really excited about all of them. And if you read them, I hope you enjoy them. :-)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fun read.
    Natalie's Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie's Mama: Thank you so much! If you pick it up, I hope you love it. (And I've always loved the name Natalie.) :-)

      Delete
  11. I like girlfriends romance books.
    Patty B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patty! Me too. I get nervous for heroines if they're too isolated in their books, so I gave mine lots of friends. :-)

      Delete