Monday, September 7, 2015

Aloha to Marissa Campbell and AVELYNN

23848159

Mary Gramlich, The Reading Reviewer, has been singing the praises of Marissa Campbell.  So let's check her out ... from her bio:

Marissa Campbell is a published freelance author, and co-author of the award-winning, spiritual self-help book Life: Living in Fulfillment Every Day. Look for her debut historical fiction Avelynn coming fall 2015, from St. Martin’s Press. Currently, hard at work on the second book in the Avelynn series, she is a proud member of the Historical Novel Society, Romance Writers of America, Writer’s Community of Durham Region, and local critique group B7.

When she is not writing, she is busy looking after her wonderful children, spending time with her fantastic husband, hanging out with her awesome friends, teaching yoga, dancing, laughing, and having fun!


Learn more about Marissa at marissacampbell.com.



Marissa is celebrating the release of her debut historical fiction, AVELYNN:

One extraordinary Saxon noblewoman and one fearless Viking warrior find passion and danger in this dazzling and sensuous debut

It is 869. For eighteen years, Avelynn, the beautiful and secretly pagan daughter of the Eadlorman of Somerset has lived in an environment of love and acceptance. She hasn't yet found a man to make her heart race, but her father has not pressured her to get married. Until now. With whispers of war threatening their land, her father forces Avelynn into a betrothal with Demas, a man who only covets her wealth and status. The dreaded marriage looming, she turns to her faith, searching for answers in an ancient ritual along the coast, only to find Alrik the Blood-Axe and sixty Viking berserkers have landed.

Alrik is unlike any man she has ever known, strong and intriguing. Likewise, he instantly falls for her beauty and courage. The two stumble into a passionate love affair, but it's more than just a greedy suitor who will try to keep them apart.

As the Saxons and Vikings go to war, Avelynn and Alrik find themselves caught in the throes of fate. Can they be true to their people as well as to each other?



File:Glastonbury tor (the final climb) arp.jpg
Glastonbury Tor in Somerset
Public Domain (link)

Another delicious book to add to the TBR pile!  I am giving away "Saxon" swag (i.e, fun stuff from England - my mother recently returned from her annual sojourn) to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about history - did you enjoy studying it in school?  Do you enjoy watching it now (ala The Vikings) at the movies or on TV?   I enjoy travel shows which highlight long forgotten history.

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, September 12, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, September 13.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


13 comments:

  1. History was one of my favorite subjects in school. I do enjoy watching shows like Vikings, The Tudors and Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kinda yes. Rather read about it. not sure if I like any of the shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I studied both ancient & modern history at school. The history was interesting, but the teachers tried their best to make it dull. I love reading & watching historical stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. History was one of the subjects I hated most in school but that was because our school books were hopelessly dry. Nothing like a good historical novel! I don't watch TV but I absolutely love reading historical romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I didn't enjoy studying history in school. I do enjoy watching some of the history shows on television - certainly presented in a more interesting manner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ido enjoy history. I like it better when it is real to me like on TV and in books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love history. I minored in it at college. I enjoy reading history books and watching history specials on TV. And whenever we travel, Hubby and I are apt to find ourselves on a battlefield or at a history museum at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't too keen on history in school. Now, it's a whole different story. I love anything and everything to do with history!

    ReplyDelete
  9. History was and is a favorite subject of mine. Seemed like we always started over at the discovery of America every year, never got past the late 1800's, and never had history of other countries. I've had to learn that on my own - often my interest has been peaked by movies or books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though history was not my favorite subject in school, I really enjoy history now. Both historical fiction and nonfiction are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. History wasn't one of my favorite subjects in high school mostly because of one teacher. The focus on memorizing dates and names was boring and really didn't teach us anything.. Luckily other teachers brought a bit more "life" into the subject. In college, the history methods course class professor believed the only way to teach history well was to learn how to write it. We did research learning about areas first hand. I was already interested in past civilizations and became more interested in more recent history after that class. One thing that helped in American History class was our being assigned to read an historical novel. It was the first I had read and opened a door to some good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I did enjoy history in school. Would have much rather of been able to take more history classes in school than the horrendous math classes that were required.

    ReplyDelete