Tuesday, October 6, 2015

TV Review - The Good Wife's Bond (Season 7 premiere)

cbs.com

The Good Wife returned on Sunday, 9 pm, on CBS.  I have a love/hate relationship with this legal drama set in Chicago, Illinois.  I don't always enjoy the story lines.  But I cannot deny the show offers stimulating story telling and award winning acting.  Julianna Margulies stars as the title character, the good wife emerging from the ashes of her bad husband's political corruption.

Season 6 ended with Alicia winning the election for Illinois State's Attorney (her husband's former job).  But a reporter revealed one of the polling station was rigged.  The Democratic Party asked Alicia to resign, aka "take one for the team", to protect another Democrat who would loose his seat if the rigging was investigated. Having sold her share in her own law firm to run for State's Attorney, Alicia found herself unemployed.  Yet she never gave up hope.  Alicia simply went home to create a website offering her legal services.

Season 7 opens with Alicia learning the ropes at bond court where "bottom feeding" lawyers are only paid if they are able to secure bond for clients they recruit in lock up.  She returns home to find a more reputable client responding to her website. The client requests Alicia to settle her mother's estate "fifty-fifty" with her brother.  Her brother's attorneys, of course, are Alicia's former partners.  The two sets of attorneys arrive at the mother's sealed apartment to find all the post it notes have fallen from items the mother identified for each sibling.  It remains unclear who inherits the mother's only valuable, an $8 million painting.  Here's where the fun begins - Alicia battles her former partners over their technical experts of adhesive stick, paint chips, and Roomba batteries.  SNL alumni Jane Curtain offers comedic relief as the presiding judge who is overwhelmed by the conflicting testimonies, "Are we going to hear from a scissors expert, today?"

The episode is a tossed salad of many ingredients which interact well with each other:


- Alicia's teenage daughter, Grace, serves as her research assistant for the inheritance case, googling issues as they arise in the courtroom.

- Alicia's former partner, Cary, finds himself as an "old fogey" in his own law firm.

- Alicia's husband, Peter, fires longtime public relations guru Eli Gold.  He then hires a national level political adviser to steer him as a Vice President candidate.  Outraged by his disloyalty, Alicia hires Eli to serve as her chief of staff.   Eli commits to protecting Alicia from any efforts by Peter's staff to "rehabilitate" her after the election scandal (oh, the irony).


cbs.com

The icing on the cake is Louis Canning, a sleazy lawyer who exploits his obvious disability.  He is played flawlessly by the beloved Michael J. Fox.  The Back To The Future Star uses his own disability, Parkinson's Disease, to demonstrate that he is still a bankable actor.  Louis follows Alicia from bond court to a local bar, interrupting her well deserved glass of wine.  He invites her to join his law firm.  Alicia replies by calling him the devil.  At the end of the episode, Louis follows Alicia again to the bar.  Alicia suspects, and Louis confirms, that he sent the inheritance case to her.  She considers his second job offer, noting he is still the devil.

If you are a fan of The Good Wife, you will enjoy its return.  If you are not watching The Good Wife, find time in your schedule to do so.


Have you discovered a new show this season?   Or have you welcomed back a returning favorite?  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Saturday, October 10.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, October 12.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


Julianne Margulies was an original cast member of ER -
also set in Chicago.

31 comments:

  1. There are a few new shows I like including Blindspot and Minority Report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Blindspot yet ... let me find it on the schedule.

      Delete
  2. The Good Wife is a favorite at our house, and Madam Secretary is a personal favorite. I am not sure yet about the new shows this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like Madame Secretary but I missed the season premiere - Hawaii Life offered a new episode on HGTV.

      Delete
  3. No new shows for me. I watched the first season of THE GOOD WIFE until they messed up the scheduling here. I do like Michael J. Fox though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it intriguing to see what American shows are popular in foreign markets. No doubt the Aussies have their own dramas.

      Delete
  4. I'm watching Drop Dead Diva right now. Just finished the first season and will start the second soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Drop Dead Diva, too! What other American shows are popular in the Netherlands?

      Delete
  5. I love my returning shows like Agents of SHIELD and How To Get Away With Murder but I've also added Blindspot and Limitless to my viewing list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the shows you listed ... but I am curious about HTGAWM now that Viola Davis won the Emmy as the lead actress.

      Delete
  6. I never got "into" The Good Wife for some reason. I've stuck with my old favorites - the three NCIS programs and trying out Code Black and Limitless. I'm a sports fan, so it's football and baseball when I can get them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned at the start of the review, I have a love/hate relationship with The Good Wife. I have only followed it off/on because of the story lines. But when I do watch it, the story telling draws me in. Kudos to producer Ridley Scott for his creative angles.

      Delete
  7. I'm waiting for Chicago Fire to come back......my husband likes Limitless. Me I like my favs. I DVR Blindspot but I haven't watched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really digging Blindspot and Quantico!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just caught up with The Big Bang.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say, that I loved The Good Wife, but when Will died, I was a little bit disappointed, now, I feel they just want the series to continue and mix characters into an intrigue that is getting boring. I can't watch it anymore! I now love Blindspot, The Black List, NCIS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise when Will died. Yet that episode was an excellent example of Ridley Scott's unique ability to tell a story.

      Delete
  11. I hadn't watched the show since the early seasons, but I did watch this one Sunday night. I enjoyed it, so I think I'll be watching again. I think I stopped because it was getting too soap operaish(?) and maybe there were other things on other stations I preferred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the show can drift towards soap opera ... but then one episode just draws me back.

      Delete
  12. The Good Wife, Nashville, Survivor, Dancing with The Stars.
    ladbookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother in law watches Nashville. I sometimes see the tail end of Dancing With The Stars when I turn on ABC for Castle. I'm developing a love/hate relationship with Castle, too.

      Delete
  13. Blindspot is my new show for the season. I'm still mourning Forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm waiting for Reign to come back. I do like the new show "Bastard Executioner". Anything medieval gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not yet watched The Good Wife, but I think I will try it this week. Michael J. Fox is such a versatile actor and I have enjoyed many of the roles he played.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I return to svu
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love watching my procedurals - Castle, NCIS (all 3 series), Chicago P.D. as well as my superhero shows, Arrow and The Flash. I do like Code Black and Heroes Reborn and waiting for Supergirl to premiere!

    ReplyDelete