Friday, October 7, 2016

Aloha to Hawaii Five O Season 7 - Bromance, Tango, and Bond


Back in July, the cast and crew of HAWAII FIVE O participated in a Hawaiian blessing to kick off production for Season Seven.  The above picture was published by the Honolulu Star Advertiser (link). Two months later, fans welcomed the new season with Makaukau 'oe e Pa'ani? - Ready to Play?  My friend NL Gassert (link) and I played yeah or nay with the episode (she was my travel buddy when I lived in Hawaii):

Yeah to the wheel chair races between Steve and Danno as they recover from liver surgery (Danno gave Steve half of his liver at the end of last season ... something that will be a recurring joke between them for the rest of their lives).   

Nay to Steve meeting "Jack" in the hospital chapel.  "Jack" was a CGI creation superimposed on an actor who resembled the original Steve McGarrett - Jack Lord. The producers intended for the two "Steves" to meet ... but I thought it was creepy. 

Yeah to return of the bromance and carguments between Steve and Danno.  This is why I watch the series ... along with the scenery, of course!

Nay to the serial killer. I wasn't drawn into the plot.

Yeah to the new governor being an Asian wahine (woman) - a closer representation of the Hawaiian ohana (families) than previous governors.


Last week's episode was aptly titled No Ke Ali'i Wahine A Me Ka Aina - For Queen and Country. Above is 'Ioloni Place - home of Hawaii's last queen and the fictional office of H50.

In the second episode, Harry - an rogue MI6 agent - lands in Honolulu and recruits the H50 team for his mission. Again, NL Gassert played Yeah or Nay.

Yeah to the references to James Bond. Jerry was delighted to play with the agent's gadgets.

Nay to the Tango that Kono danced with the bad guy to distract him. There was no passion.

Yeah to Kono's red dress during the Tango (I can't find an online image to share with you).

Nay to the action leaving Hawaii to follow the bad guy to Europe.

Yeah to the bromance in the air as Harry flies Steve and Danno to the Czech Republic. Danno teases Steve that Harry flies a jet (while Steve only flies a helicopter).  

Yeah to Steve reflecting upon his feelings for Catherine and acknowledging that they will never again be a couple.

Yeah to Steve and Danno accompanying Harry to place flowers on his wife's grave back in London (a flashback to the opening scene of Roger Moore in FOR YOUR EYES ONLY).  

And it would not be H50 if they did not jump the shark - Steve and Danno receive an award from the Queen!  

FYI, three of Hawaii's queens - Queen Emma, Queen Kapiolani, and Queen Lili'uokalani - enjoyed a warm friendship with Queen Victoria. Below are Queen Kapiolani and then Crown Princess Lili'uokalani at Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.  Picture courtesy of the Hawaii State Archives.


Although H50 has lost some of the spark, I still find it entertaining. And the scenery ... yes, the water is that blue!  I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash.  To enter the giveaway,

1. Leave a comment about the new TV season - what are you watching?

2. Given the shipping costs, the giveaway is only open to US residents, but I welcome comments from all readers. 

3. Comments are open through Sunday, October 9, 10 pm in Baltimore. I'll post the winner on Sunday, October 10.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

NL and Ivy near the Navy's Boneyard
in Pearl Harbor West Loch


14 comments:

  1. I watched the first season, but I still remember the original with fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the show. Used to watch the original., back in the day. I really don't watch much TV. I did watch the premier of a show called West World. And that's because my daughter had it on .
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the show. Used to watch the original., back in the day. I really don't watch much TV. I did watch the premier of a show called West World. And that's because my daughter had it on .
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. so far I've been watching the same shows that I always watch. I tried a couple of new shows and was not impressed. Although I am going to watch On Demand Designated Survivor....I heard that it is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far, I am only watching The Big Bang

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love H50, but agree it has lost a tiny bit of spark. I still laugh and love the action and danger, though. The bromance between Danny and Steve is just awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friday night is full with MacGyver - Hawaii Five-O - Blue Bloods; I also enjoy Big Bang Theory and the new shows Speechless & Designated Survivor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoying Timeless, Lethal Weapon and Pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Longmire on Netflix! I love Lou Diamond Phillips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't started watching any series except for the cartoons my 3 year old enjoys watching. Lol! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, that tango seemed forced. It was shoehorned in, because it fit with the James Bond theme, but it did not fit Kono (even in her stunning dress).

    I love watching for the bromance and the scenery. And --we've talked about this--to spot the mistakes only a local would catch (crossing the Pearl Harbor bridge to end up on Sand Island etc).

    Nadja

    PS Wow, Ivy has grown so much since that picture was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honestly I haven't started any of the new series....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only one show the big bang theory

    ReplyDelete