Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Historical Trivia ... and late birthday wishes


I enjoy historical trivia ... on this day:

In 1910, Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first U.S. president to fly in an airplane. He flew for four minutes with Arch Hoxsey in a plane built by the Wright brothers.

In 1942, during the Battle of Cape Esperance, United States Navy ships intercept and defeat a Japanese fleet on their way to reinforce troops on Guadalcanal and destroy the Allied airfield.

In 1984,  Kathryn D. Sullivan becomes the first American woman to perform a space walk during a mission aboard the Challenger.



Speaking of air and space, I missed the Air Force's 69th birthday on September 18 during my blogging break.  I set aside a box of books to giveaway to celebrate the youngest service within the Department of Defense - these authors are connect to the Air Force as veterans, spouses, brats, or parents. 

Delores Fossen, THE MARSHAL'S JUSTICE
Lorraine Heath, WHEN THE DUKE WAS WICKED
Shirley Jump, WHEN SOMEBOYD LOVES YOU

Merline Lovelace, THIR TIME'S THE BRIDE
Catherine Mann, SHELTER ME
Crista McHugh, TELL ME TRUE

Pamela Palmer, A LOVE UNTAMED
Tracy Solheim, RISKY GAME

plus the anthology WAY OF THE WARRIOR with Suzanne Brockman, ML Buckman, Anne Elizabeth, Lea Griffith, Catherine Mann, Kate Serine, Tina Wainscott, and Julie Ann Walker.



I am giving away the above books to one randomly selected commenter from all posts in October.  to enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about airplanes, space travel, or the Air Force - do you know someone who flies an airplane?  Would you like to go up into space like Wolowitz from the Big Bang Theory?  Do you know anyone connected to the Air Force?  Or do you have your own historical trivia to share?

2.  Due to shipping costs, this giveaway is open to US residents only.

3.  Comments are open through Monday, October 31, 2016.  I'll post the winners on Wednesday, November 2.

We celebrate the US Navy's birthday on Thursday, October 13 - 241 years strong!

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


Image result for aloha on my mind missing man
Missing Man Formation

16 comments:

  1. If I had the opportunity to go up into space I would not hesitate. It would be scary, but amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no I don't. Not really no. No to both of those things

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go to space, but alas I am older now and would have to wait for my next life. I do not know anyone who was in the Air Force. All the other services yes but not Air Force. I do know two who are helicopter pilots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go into space and explore but I do not like to fly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad and brother were both MP's in the Air Force.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother is in the Air National Guard. I hate to fly, though! I have been on more than 30 flights and still HATE it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love History and I didn't know about Kathryn Sullivan. My late BIL was a plane mechanic while in the Air Force. I'm too chicken to get in a plane so I don't have the desire to go into space.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandfather had his private pilot's license as did my dad. I was briefly married to a commercial pilot and one of my sisters husband served in the USAF in Japan, Turkey, Crete, England and in the USA. He's retired and they live in Florida. I love to fly, but hate all the hassle that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to fly! Before kids, I would even try and take plane trips/routes with the most take offs and landings. Now with kids, you just want to get there as quick as possible:-). I love to get to the destination, but I think the journey is just as fun. Seeing all the people in the airport, hearing snippets of various conversations, trying the different airport restaurants, feeling the excitement of the other travelers, and trying to guess where they're all going and what their stories are.
    Several Uncles and Great Uncles had their pilots licenses, flying in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, and my cousin is a commercial airline pilot.
    I'm lucky enough to live in San Diego so I get to often see the jets and ospreys from the Marine Base or Coronado.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH! And I saw an article that Mike Massamino (the actual astronaut in The Big Bang Theory,) just came out with a book called Spaceman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know a couple of commercial airline pilots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My uncle was in the Air Force.
    My 12 year old loves planes and has since he was a toddler 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would absolutely go to space if I were given the chance! For several years both my kids wanted to be astronauts - my daughter wanted to be the first veterinarian in space. My father in-law was career enlisted Air Force.

    ReplyDelete
  14. during BRAC, my brother did work at Pope AFB (I think it may have been absorbed into Bragg) while overseeing work at Ft. Bragg.

    I know someone whose husband was a fighter pilot and did several tours in the Middle East.

    denise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. That took some guts on Teddy's part to go up in the sky in something like that. I might have white knuckled it the whole way. Ha!

    My brother was a paratrooper for a bit. He loved the jumps but said they were stressful since he was a jump master. If I ever go skydiving he's coming with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband was in the Air Force.

    Yes, I would love to be able to go into space.

    ReplyDelete