Thursday, August 22, 2013

Aloha to Jade Lee and WHAT THE BRIDE WORE


On Monday, we received our household goods from Hawaii.   As you can imagine, it was Christmas in August ... especially as I opened the boxes of souvenirs from our recent trip to Korea.   I added the Korean folk bride figurine with the Japanese folk bride in our curio cabinet.
  
Modern Korean bride in Ko Olina

Brides are a popular topic in historical romances ... and Jade Lee delivers a delicious treat with WHAT THE BRIDE WORE:

When All is Lost

All Grant Benton, Earl of Crowle, can think of is restoring his family's fortune so he can go back to being a gentleman of leisure. But when he meets beautiful, purposeful Lady Irene Knopp, he begins to question whether there might not be a better way to live life after all...

What's Left is Desire

Lady Irene will never give up her fulfilling work dressing the most beautiful brides in England. She'd rather risk losing love forever than sacrifice her own life's purpose. Yet she has never met a more magnetic, attractive man than Grant. Trapped between the fleeting chance at love and passion for her work, is it possible she can have it all?

Praise for Wedded in Scandal:

"Dazzling...a beautiful, haunting tale of love overcoming the seemingly greatest odds."—Night Owl Reviews

"A delectable and delightful love story...Lee's gift for characterization, sensuality, and swift-moving plots engage readers' emotions and sweet them away."—RT Book Reviews, 4 star

"Jade Lee gives us a winner."—Fresh Fiction


Another bride in Kailua

I posted my four star review of WHAT THE BRIDE WORE on Goodreads (link).  I am giving away a copy of WHAT THE BRIDE WORE to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,


1.  Leave a comment about fabrics (as Lady Irene is a fabric buyer for a fashionable wedding dress shop).  What's your favorite?   I love damask!

2.  This giveaway is open to all readers.

3.  Comments are open through Saturday, August 24, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 25.

Mahalo,

Kim in Hawaii

To learn more about Jade and her books, check out her website at jadeleeauthor.com.

Wedded in Scandal (Bridal Favors, #1)Wedded in Sin (Bridal Favors, #2)


26 comments:

  1. Hi Kim!

    Sorry I've been AWOL lately but my husband has been holding the computer hostage!

    What a perfect night to stay up late so I had a chance to visit tonight!

    Since my mother owned a Bridal shop and actually took me to NYC with her on several shopping trips to pick out bridal gowns for her clients when I was in High School I learned a lot about different types of fabric.

    This came in handy when my husband was enlisted in the Navy during Vietnam. I made more as a secretary than he did as a sailor on an aircraft carrier and then in a Squadron in Florida. I then realize that those hours I hated when I was younger when my mother taught me about fabrics and how to sew were a lifesaver in being able to dress well.

    The one thing I learned from my Mom was that even if you were on a tight budget and making your own clothes and not buying them that if you didn't buy quality fabric the garment wouldn't last!

    I notice this often when I go shopping today. Many people wonder why the clothing they buy doesn't wear well - they have to learn to read the tags and find out what the are actually purchasing. Something may look wonderful on the rack or when they put it on but if the weave is faulty it's not going to last.

    It may say on the tag to just pop it in the washing machine but how many times have you gone somewhere and then realized that a seam is falling apart or the zipper isn't working right.

    When was the last time you checked the "little things" before you bought a new skirt or dress? Believe me it makes a difference.

    I've also learned that not only has the quality of the garment isn't as good but also at some point in time the manufacturers decided a Size 12 was a Size 8! If anyone has a box of old clothes put away for a season (or 3) just get it out and try on things you used to wear. Imagine my horror a few years ago when I got a box out of the attic and my old Size 12 jeans were too small! The ones I had just bought were a Size 8! Yup I didn't lose weight - they changed the sizing!

    Also if you want to pretend you've lost weight go to a consignment shop and buy some high cost designer clothes for a few dollars instead of a hundred and you'll notice that you can fit in a much smaller size. Just forget I've let you know about his and it will make your day!

    So check out the fabric and the "small stuff" like the buttons and the zipper and if you buy a skirt of pair of pants remember you no longer get a "free" belt that goes with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha, Jeanne! Mahalo for these insightful tips!

      Delete
    2. Hi Kim!

      Thanks Kim!

      I hope you and your family are all settled in and enjoying Baltimore!

      We love stopping there whenever we travel down to South Carolina to see our grandchildren but I must admit if my husband stops at Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine one more time I think I'll scream!

      Delete
  2. When I was younger I liked denim. Now that I'm older and heavier... its stretchy material with elastic waistbands! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got two fabric favorites that are as different as night and day: organza and denim. When going dressy I just love the feel and drape of high-quality organza, and it's very figure flattering and forgiving. For the everyday me, it's t-shirts and jeans; there is nothing like a pair of well-worn jeans. The denim is soft and supple and totally comfortable.

    Thanks for the Jade Lee giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bamboo. It's so much softer than cotton. It really has a nice texture to the material. My other fave is satin, because its just silky and sometimes it has a sheen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the fabrics made from natural fibres like cotton, silk, linen, bamboo & wool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite fabric is cotton. I buy a lot of clothes made from it and it feels so comfortable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love any material that doesn't have lyra in it!!!! I love cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like dry fit material since I hate feeling hot and sticky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never thought of that question before. I don't think I have a favorite lol. Although, we were given satin sheets for our honeymoon and they were very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a favorite fabric. Cotton is cool, but wrinkles fast for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wrinkle free Cotton! I'm a tshirt and athletic shorts kinda girl :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. TENCEL! I know it's made from wood but it feels just great against my skin. But it's getting a little expensive. Speaking of expensive fabrics, my second love--CASHMERE! (from "Seinfeld": 'I didn't want the money, Georgie. I wanted the CASHMERE.'

    I am moving back north so I can wear it again!

    annfesATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always liked velvet, it's so rich and soft, but alas, it's not such a great fabric for warm climates.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love linen it is so comfortable on a hot summer day. Yes it wrinkles, but some of the newer pants I've bought don't wrinkle as badly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cotton. I always want to be comfortable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love cotton. Being comfy is key with me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love cotton, denim, and silk.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For wedding dresses, I really love the look of lace, though mine is satin.
    For everyday wear, I love cotton. It breathes well and since I live in Fl where it is hot most of the year, it feels better to me than most other fabrics, especially when sweating. Lol.
    Glad you got you things to your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete