Saturday, August 10, 2013

Celebrate Little Victories - Moving across the Pacific (and the Continent, too)


Mary Gramlich, the Reading Reviewer (link), inspired the title for this semi-regular feature.  She once reminded me to appreciate the little victories in our lives .... and I am thankful for those who assisted me during our recent move:

- My neighbor Christine, who gave me the use of her second car after we shipped ours.  Her husband is currently deployed yet she found the time to assist me many times.  She also accepted my leftover cleaning products, toiletries, and other stuff that I could not ship.  

Christine is a Scentsy consultant - if you are interested in brightening your home, contact me at sos.aloha@yahoo.com and I'll connect you with Christine.



- Cat advocate Barbara, who coordinates the Hickam Ten Lives (link).  Her tireless efforts to rescue abandoned pets inspired me to join the team.   My family fostered 6 other cats (not all at once) plus our two own cats.

Barbara gave me the cat on the left as a farewell gift.   I bought the bank on the first night in Maryland.


  
- My teenagers, Andrew and David, who assisted me in packing our household and cleaning our house.   My oldest thinks it will be easier for him to go off to college as he has less possessions. Just wait, Andrew, just wait 'til you have a family!



- My peeps - Nadja, Renee, and Kory - who kept me sane.  They are military spouses and book enthusiasts who thought outside the box.   They are not only my friends, but rock stars in writing.

Nadja is NL Gassert (link).   Her debut novel, THE PROTECTOR, was a finalist for the 2009 Literary Lambda Award.   Nadja taught me to open my mind and not let the challenges of military life to get me down.   Nadja's first language is German ... but she is the best reviewer in English!

Renee is D Renee Bagby (link).  I quote from her website,

Magic, dimensional travel, other worlds, and things that go bump in the night fuel my imagination and dominant my books. The emotions are raw and the love is real. If you think you can handle it, "Leave Your Reality Behind" and come visit mine.

Renee has attended several of the same conferences as I have ... so we talk the talk about Romanceland!

Kory is my personal rock star as she assumed responsibility for the Hickam Library Friends.   This volunteer mission was hard to let go ... but I know it is now in safe (and sane) hands!

I will miss Nadja, Renee, and Kory!




- We flew Honolulu - Denver - Baltimore.   On the last leg, I sat in the emergency exit row with more leg room (my teens were two rows behind me).    The last passengers - three blonde moms - boarded the aircraft, two sitting next to me and the third in front of us.   They asked if I would switch so they could sit together.  At first, I was hesitant to give up my great seat ... but I did because I believe in good karma (Nadja would be proud). The flight was smooth and early - an extra bonus after a long night of traveling.  The "three blonde moms" were visiting a high school friend for the weekend.  They had one purpose for their trip - cheer on their friend who was battling cancer.  I was taken back by their generous spirit ... and realized that I, too, have friends like them.   


Everyone should have fairy-god-friends!

- Finally, I thank my in laws as they are currently hosting my teens (rather than them sit in our empty townhouse).   My in laws live in Ohio and plan to take my children to a Reds game, the NFL Hall of Fame, and back-to-school shopping.   My in laws have also been the recipient of my mail, including boxes from RT and RWA.   My teens will bring my mail back (including the boxes) so I will restart the "convention stash" in September.  

Do you have any little victory to celebrate?

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

PS I posted my first set of pictures from Maryland on my travel blog, ALOHA ON MY MIND, at this link.


15 comments:

  1. Wow Kim, it's seem like you've left lots of great friends behind you in Hawaii. I know how much you will miss them. I'm sure that you will make lots of new friends in Baltimore.

    Now, as to a victory that I've overcome, I can't really think of anything. Like you, being an Air Force wife, we've had to move many times. It was always a heartache for me to leave my friends and family behind. I hated all the packing up of my home, and then all the unpacking, and finding homes for everything.

    I wish you lots of luck, happiness and joy in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not surprisingly it sounds like you have many wonderful friends and they have one in you too. It sounds like your move is coming together without any hitches (or you've just not mentioned them lol). I have not moved now in the last 35 years which is good and bad - glad I don't have to but I have way too much stuff lol. Tonight I am getting together with a group of friends to play cards and to just enjoy each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful little victories Kim! Thank you for sharing. Now it is time to celebrate your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for great friends. Nothing particularly happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to the States!!!!!! No little victory for me this summer!!!! I've been on my best behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great column, Kim. I do celebrate little victories; for today, I'll join in celebrating yours. Glad to hear all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I signed up for my first First Aid and CPR course finally!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say this always and to anyone who will listen - you are the kindest person to be friends with and I am honored to count myself as one. Thanks and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is wonderful that your move was a somewhat easy one.
    I enjoy reading these posts. :)
    I am sure that I have a few little victories, but as it is late, I cannot think of them at the moment. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My victory (and it is big for me) was getting a letter in the mail yesterday saying that my disability was approved!!! It took so long and I ended up having to have a hearing with a judge (who was so nice) but it is approved and now I never have to worry about that again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound like you have heaps of victories to celebrate. Good for you.

    My victory would be clearing out cupboards. I see a garage sale on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim, I'll celebrate your victories today. :) Glad to hear that you are back in the States without any hassles. I'm sure you're going to miss Hawaii but you still have all your memories. :)
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you've been really busy. Glad to hear the move is going rather smoothly and that you've made such great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My victory this week is just surviving. I lost my mother this week.

    ReplyDelete