Wednesday, October 29, 2014

State of Romance, Benjamin Franklin, and Authors Behaving Humanely

Mount Hood, Oregon
Public Domain (link)

I contribute a weekly column, State of Romance, to USA Today's HEA Column.  Today we visit Oregon, the Beaver State, at this link.   We also return to the other state of romance ... the flow of free thought (link).   I continue sharing the musings from the colonial catfisher, Benjamin Franklin, posing as a middle aged Silence Dogood in his/her letters to the New England Courant.

April 30, 1722 • Silence Dogood #3

I am very sensible that it is impossible for me, or indeed any one Writer to please all Readers at once. Various Persons have different Sentiments; and that which is pleasant and delightful to one, gives another a Disgust.

I intend to proceed, bestowing now and then a few gentle Reproofs on those who deserve them, not forgetting at the same time to applaud those whose Actions merit Commendation. 


No doubt Mrs. Dogood would offer a few gentle reproofs to those authors behaving badly.  Likewise, she would applaud those whose Actions merit commendation ... 

Standing up to Cancer -  LAST HERO STANDING is a box set from Dianna LoveCynthia Eden, Elisabeth NaughtonJoan Swan, Bonnie VanakPamela Clare, Mary Buckham, Adrienne Giordano, Norah Wilson, and Stephanie Rowe.  Proceeds benefit Pamela Clare who is recovering from breast cancer. Learn more at this link.


Supporting deployed personnel - Geri Krotow and Heather Ashby sent books to deployed personnel.  Geri and Heather understand the challenges of deployment - they are Navy Veteran and spouse.  Mahalo, my fellow RomVets!


I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about Oregon, Benjamin Franklin, or an author you know who behaves humanely.

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, November 1, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, November 2.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Remember, you can also support deployed personnel at this link.


16 comments:

  1. I have not been to Oregon but once. It is a beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my bestest friends lives in Oregon....I've never met her only on the phone and through the RT Boards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister and her husband use to go to Oregon a lot for summer vacations they took lots of pictures love it and always wanted to go.
    Penney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Oregon for a wedding, but didn't get a chance to see the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out, Kim! LOVE anything Ben Franklin - and Silence Dogood is one of my favorites! The name he took to write letters to the editor at his brother's newspaper. Ben ROCKED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't been to Oregon; looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. My niece lived in Oregon for about 6 yrs. (and may go back depending on her husband's job) and they loved it. My husband lived in the neighboring state of Washington and said of all the places he has live (which is quite a few) that that area of the U.S. was his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many authors are big on animal rights; think Lori Foster is one. Dont know much about Oregon.
    Patoct

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Oregon, relatives live there
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that Benjamin Franklin was a very clever man. All sorts of inventions for one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been to Oregon. I would like to go and it's part of my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We traveled along the Oregon coast one year and visited lighthouses and beaches. They have nice state parks in Oregon with yurts that you can rent for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to Oregon.
    I love the Benjamin Franklin character in the musical '1776'!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband has family who lives there. I know there are a lot of authosr who are into animal causes. Betty White an actress is one.
    Patty B43

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know much about Oregon. I've always been intrigued by Ben Franklin, because he was so intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dont know much about Ben except he was very good with electricity knowledge; no nothing about Oregon and Brenda Novak is big supporting diabetes.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete