Friday, October 31, 2014

The Education of Women ... and the Charitable Work of Bonnie Vanak


In response to the kerfuffle between a YA Author and online reviewer, I have spotlighted the original Colonial catfisher, Benjamin Franklin.  As a 16 year old printer's apprentice, he submitted letters as the middle aged widow, Mrs. Silence Dogood, to comment on Boston society.   Today I share her/his thoughts of the education of women:

May 28, 1722 • Silence Dogood #5

If Knowledge and Understanding had been useless Additions to the Sex, God Almighty would never have given them Capacities, for he made nothing Needless. What has the Woman done to forfeit the Priviledge of being taught? Does she plague us with her Pride and Impertinence? Why did we not let her learn, that she might have had more Wit? Shall we upbraid Women with Folly, when 'tis only the Error of this inhumane Custom that hindred them being made wiser.

23301960


The women of romance, from all walks of life, have shared their wisdom to make our world a better place.  One such author is Bonnie Vanak.  From her bio (link),

After graduating from the University of Florida with a journalism degree, I worked as a newspaper reporter. After, tired of simply reporting the news, I became a writer for a large international charity. My work took me to countries like Haiti and Honduras to write about famine, disease and other issues. Humanitarian jobs are fulfilling, but emotionally draining. The work is for a good cause, but the pressure can be enormous.

So to counter the suffering I encountered in my travels, I began writing romance novels. 

Because in the end, I believe that love is the most powerful force in the universe. It can make magic happen, renew faith, and give hope for a better tomorrow. As the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu said, "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

Thank you, Bonnie, for caring about our global community!  Bonnie contributed to the box set LAST HERO STANDING (link) to support the medical fund for breast cancer survivor Pamela Clare.  I am giving away a digital copy of LAST HERO STANDING to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  What subject/trade/craft have you enjoyed learning?   I enjoyed learning about Hawaii's history and culture when I lived on Pearl Harbor.  

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, November 1, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, November 2.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Bonnie and her books at bonnievanak.com.



7 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed learning about cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed learning more about photography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed learning about runes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home renovation.... not that I am doing any! Just an HGTV, etc junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed learning to crochet. I'm still not that good at it, but do know the basics.

    ReplyDelete