Wednesday, October 8, 2014

State of Romance - Kentucky



Kentucky Derby
Courtesy: Kentuckytourism.com

State of Romance visits Kentucky at USA Today's HEA Blog at this link.   Although I was born in Kentucky, my parents moved six weeks later.   Since then, I have driven through Kentucky once - I didn't even stop to check it out!   So I was intrigued to learn more about the Blue Grass State from romance authors.

Kentucky is home to the Mammoth Cave National Park.  From its website (link),

Mammoth Cave National Park preserves the cave system and a part of the Green River valley and hilly country of south central Kentucky. This is the world's longest known cave system, with more than 400 miles explored. Early guide Stephen Bishop called the cave a "grand, gloomy and peculiar place," but its vast chambers and complex labyrinths have earned its name - Mammoth.


National Park Service
Public Domain (link)

Laurel from Showtime Book Trailers created this video for today's State of Romance.   

What do you know about Kentucky?  Can you recommend any romances books set in the Blue Grass State?  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash.  Comments are open through Saturday, October 11, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, October 12.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Photo courtesy of John C. Engelhardt / patlangphoto.com
Kentucky Horse Racing Commission
khrc.ky.gov




17 comments:

  1. The only thing that I know about Kentucky is that they hold the Kentucky Derby there. We drove through the State on our way down to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about Kentucky at all. I have never been there. My sister traveled through the state during a motor home road trip one year, and she thought it was very scenic. Very green and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only thing I've heard of besides the derby is the Kentucky fried chicken. But no doubt are there better things about Kentucky I just have no knowledge of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have driven through it more than once and always thought it was a beautiful state. And of course the Kentucky Derby is there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to Kentucky one time when I lived in West Virginia because I have relatives living there. I can't think of any romances set there though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband is a native of Kentucky, so we've visited many times. We've been to the Kentucky Derby (and Oaks, the race for fillies, which is held the day before the Derby) for the past four years. Louisville is a wonderful city to visit--full of beauty, history and great restaurants.

    Lori Foster has written many books set in small towns in Kentucky. I always assumed The Hollows of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series must have been in Kentucky, since it is described as across the river from Cinncinatti. I believe that would be Covington, KY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot think of any books. But all I know is that they have good liquor and the KY Derby is run in KY.
    Patoct

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know anything about Kentucky other than they hold the Kentucky Derby there. And I think Katie McGarry published a couple YA novels based in Kentucky, though I'm not positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As already said I am aware of the Kentucky Derby. I can't think of any books set in Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kentucky is one state I have never visited. I want to go to Monmouth Caves

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cannot think of any Kentucky related books. And only know of the Derby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. None come to mind. Sorry. Really dont know anything about Kentucky except the Kentucky Derby runs there.

    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori Foster set several of her series in Kentucky - like the Buckhorns and Run the Risk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to go to the Derby one day, love the ladies and their fancy hats. That's almost as good a show to watch as the racing! The only book that comes to mind is one I read a while back, Kentucky Bride from Hannah Howell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kentucky Derby that is about all I know.
    Patty B43

    ReplyDelete