Friday, May 9, 2014

Military Spouse Appreciation - Teresa Taylor and NIGHT FLIGHT: THE COURAGE AND CALLING OF A COAST GUARD PILOT



night flight book

May is Military Appreciation Month ... and I want to introduce you to Teresa Taylor, author of NIGHT FLIGHT:  THE COURAGE AND CALLING OF A COAST GUARD PILOT:

Life is a Night Flight. But morning is coming.

From the moment that Teresa met Dale Taylor at a college party, she knew that he was not like anyone else. Tall, dark, handsome, and lovably goofy, they began dating and quickly fell in love. Then, when Teresa’s grandfather let Dale handle the controls of his small airplane, everything changed. It was as if Dale had been infected with a love of flying, and he would never recover. Just before they married, Dale applied to Officer Candidate School with the United States Coast Guard, and his path was set. From Pensacola, to Savannah, to San Francisco, to Mobile, Alabama, Dale Taylor’s career as a Coast Guard Pilot was filled with adventure, heroism, and sacrifice.

On February 28, 2012, Lieutenant Commander Dale Taylor and three crewmembers lost their lives when their H6535 crashed into the frigid waters of Mobile Bay. But Dale’s life was full of the kind of faith and courage that would become his legacy to his wife, his two young sons, and to scores of Coast Guard servicemen and women around the world.

This is a true story. It is also the story of the faithfulness of God in the life of a young family, and in the heart of the woman who would be widowed that February night. It is the story of what it means to live our lives by instruments that are more trustworthy than our feelings. It is the story of love and loss. Of hope and healing. It is the story of the brief but powerful life of LCDR Dale Taylor.


I salute Teresa for sharing her family's loss to demonstrate their faith in God and country.   I am giving away a Coast Guard gift pack to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about the Coast Guard - do you know any Coasties?  Live near a Coast Guard station?  Seen the Coast Guard in action?

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, May 17, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, May 18.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Teresa and NIGHT FLIGHT at nightflightministries.com.




14 comments:

  1. I live not too far south from Grand Haven, Michigan. Every year they host a 10 day Coast Guard Festival. I don't know anyone personally, but Lake Michigan has many Coast Guard Stations and are frequently called on for water rescues, etc.

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Governors Island used to be home to many Coast Guard families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm afraid not. But I thank them for their service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in the middle of the countryside, not a Coast Guard to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not know any Coasties but I do live in Connecticut and have visited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid I do not know any one who is and was in the Coast Guard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I don't know any Coast Guards, and I've never seen them. I do know that they're an important part of our military though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My lack of knowledge about the Coast Guard is shameful. Having live inland all my life, I don't know anyone and haven't meant anyone in the Coast Guard. As part of the military family, they have my utmost respect and appreciation for what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. During WWII, my Dad and his four brothers all served. One (son #4) was in the Coast Guard and was stationed with forces protecting the Panama Canal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a Coast Guard station here in San Diego. Our "newer" Point Loma Lighthouse is manned by the coast guard. Occasionally I see stories on the local news of incidents in which the local coast guard has helped out in situations. We also have a friend who is in the coast guard auxiliary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see the San Diego site n tv, love them
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this Post Km. I have a friend who was in the Coast Guard. But Imdon't think we have any nearby where I live. I'm definitely going to pick up a copy of Night Flight.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have only seen them on television when they rescue people.

    ReplyDelete