Sunday, May 4, 2014

Aloha to Tracy Solheim and RISKY GAME - Book Review


18667905

Several months ago, I received my sorority alumni magazine, which included a shout out to published authors among the alumni rank. I noticed one name, Tracy Solheim, who I featured at this link for FOOLISH GAMES. I contacted Tracy, we swapped emails about college life, and I learned she is an Air Force brat - term of endearment for military children. She asked if I would like to review her next book, RISKY GAME, set in Baltimore. Could the stars align any more for us?

Tracy may be a sorority sister, may have served as a military brat, and may have set her book in my new home town, but she had to win me over as I infrequently read contemporary romance, let along contemporary romance featuring sports characters. Indeed, she did win me over - I posted a five star review on Goodreads at this link.   RISKY GAME is available tomorrow, May 6, from Berkley Romance:

Baltimore Blaze tight end Brody Janik is a natural-born football star. At twenty-seven, his record-breaking athletic performance and his cover-boy good looks have turned him into a household name. But Brody’s hiding a major secret behind his charming public persona: a health condition that may cut his career short.

PhD candidate Shannon “Shay” Everett works multiple jobs to put herself through school—including an unpaid internship with the Blaze training department. Strapped for cash, Shay answers the call of an NFL gossip blogger to uncover personal details about the Blaze players. Sneaking into the locker room one night, she gets entangled in Brody’s secret…and swept up by his charm.

Brody isn’t sure what to make of the gawky girl with the whiskey eyes, especially when he discovers she was snooping. His first instinct is to turn her in as a snitch, but she could destroy him by sharing his secret. Instead, he decides to keep her close…perhaps closer than either of them originally intended…


Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Books A Million
Indie Bound
Powell’s Books



A family is a risky venture, because the greater the love, the greater the loss... That's the trade-off. But I'll take it all. – Brad Pitt

Football star Brody Janik shares many attributes with Brad Pitt – he is sexy, he is driven, and and he has a big family. Instead of Brady’s six children, Brody has three sisters whom he adores. He is at the height of his athletic career and yet he hides a secret … a secret Shannon “Shay” Everett overhears in the locker room. She could use the cash that this secret would generate from the tabloids. Instead, Shay offers to help Brody overcome it while opening her heart to him.

Solheim delivers an emotional yet romantic romp into today’s modern sports machine. I laughed along with Shay’s antics, Brody’s charm, and his sisters’ interference as the Golden Boy comes to terms with his own limitations while the independent intern realizes that it is okay to accept help, even love, from someone else.

RISKY GAME is Book Three in Solheim’s OUT OF BOUNDS series. Characters from the previous books appear as the supporting cast but allow Brody and Shay to shine on their own. I have not read the previous books (something that I will correct) yet I was able to follow along the storyline.

Recommended read for fans of contemporary settings, sports themes, and Baltimore!

I received an ARC from the author for an honest review.

Baltimore Inner Harbor 

I am giving away a "Baltimore" prize package to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about Baltimore - what do you know about it?

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, May 10, 10 pm in Baltimore.  

3.  I'll post the winners on Sunday, May 11.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Tracy and her books at tracysolheim.com.

159853461757286219654431



25 comments:

  1. I've visited a few times and will be heading there in a few weeks for a family event. Love the Fells Point and Canton areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know much about Baltimore. I usually just think of the Orioles and crab cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orioles, thanks
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't know anything about Baltimore. Only the things you've shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same. I know next to nothing, so look forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home of famous crab cakes, the Orioles and the Ravens. And Charm City Cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Star-Spangled Banner was written about an attack on Baltimore during the American Revolution. (from Wikipedia - LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visited E.A. Poe's grave when I was in Baltimore...and he has two in the same graveyard! The "new," large monument is at the front of the cemetery; the original burial site is at the back. Both are worth the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been but a lot of relatives settled there when they came over from Sicily. I do know they are rivals with Pgh. when it comes to sports teams!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly.. Not much. Just their baseball team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When my husband was stationed at Andrews AFB, we decided to go into Baltimore one night. We went to a restaurant for dinner, and I liked looking at all the lights reflecting off of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baltimore is a great city to visit! The Aquarium and the Science Museum make it a must for kids. And, there's always those crab cakes. In my novella, A Numbers Game, I included a scene where Heath and Merrit are "picking crabs". In Risky Game, readers get introduced to Federal Hill, Little Italy, and Hampden Street and it's famous Christmas lights. :) Thanks, Kim, for spreading the word about the book and one of my favorite cities!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been to baltimore several times since I was a kid. Each time, I have loved going there. The city is beautiful. To me it is peaceful, yet fun at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been there once, but have numerous family member there whom I adore!

    ReplyDelete
  15. On my list of places to visit! The Queen city, the inner harbor, crabs and crab cakes.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. About the only thing I know about Baltimore is that it has the best Aquarium I've ever seen. Hubby and I spent a weekend near the Inner Harbor, checking out the shops and walking to see everything we could.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Went with my husband, mom and aunt many years ago. My aunt wanted to visit the Shrine of St. Jude; we passed the ballpark and went to Inner Harbor - beautiful.

    patoct

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know much, but I do know it's called Charm City and it's the home of Charm City Cakes. I loved the TV show Ace of Cakes with Duff Goldman and would love to visit his shop or have a cake made by him. I bet it's really expensive though.

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know very little about it, except that I understand that crab cakes are very popular! I enjoyed this book as well, thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Naval Acd is near and it is an old and beautiful city with a port

    melissa mcentyre

    ReplyDelete
  21. How about Berger Cookies? They are heavenly to take but a killer with calories!

    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  22. Baltimore Ravens, crab cakes, port, Navy, historic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We went there years ago to visit the national aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll start with the obvious. It's in Maryland. :) I know it's pretty close to Washington, DC. I had to pass through both cities when I headed to Florida on vacation.

    ReplyDelete