Monday, June 2, 2014

Aloha to Kate Dyer-Seeley and SCENE OF THE CLIMB - Book review

18371392

Available today from Kensington ...


Portland, Oregon, is the perfect fit for someone like Meg Reed. It's a city with a small town feel, where she can crash on the couch of her best friend Jill, now that she's graduated from journalism school. . .

But a girl needs a job, so Meg bluffs her way into writing for Northwest Extreme magazine, passing herself off to editor-in-chief Greg Dixon as an outdoor adventure enthusiast. Never mind that Meg's idea of sport is climbing onto the couch without spilling her latte. So when she finds herself clawing to the top of Angel's Rest--a two-thousand-foot peak--to cover the latest challenge in a reality TV adventure show, she can't imagine feeling more terrified. Until she witnesses a body plummet off the side of the cliff. Now Meg has a murder to investigate. And if the climbing doesn't kill her, a murderer just might. . .


Ko'olau Mountains from Kailua Beach

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.  - Edmund Hillary


My favorite reality show, HOUSE HUNTERS, introduced me to the Pacific Northwest by way of its housing market.  The couples interested in the Pacific Northwest desire a green home, fresh air, and granola bars.   I have a few military friends who loved living in the Pacific Northwest ... so it was their enthusiasm which prompted me to review Kate Dyer-Seeley's debut cozy mystery, SCENE OF THE CLIMB.

I read fiction for entertainment, education, and escapism; Dyer-Seeley delivers all three with the lovable journalist Meg, her sensible friend Jill, and her gorgeous boss Greg.   Meg engages in "I Love Lucy" antics to bluff her way through her first assignment.   Dyer-Seeley captures the "green" essence that attracts so many to the Pacific Northwest.   And it is pure fun joining Meg on her quest to find a killer while breaking in her hiking books.  

Dyer-Seeley ends the book with a larger story that will obviously carry over to the next installment of Graduate Meets World.  I am looking forward to many more adventures with Meg!  Recommended read for fans of cozy mysteries, the great outdoors, and underdogs overcoming challenges.  

I received an ARC from Kensington for an honest review.   

Old Pali Highway Overlook

I am giving away a "green" swag prize package to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about your experience with the great outdoors ... love it or loathe it?   When my youngest son was a Webelos II, already ready to bridge over to Boy Scouts, he attened a weekend campout at Bellows Beach with his older brother's troop.  Since he was still a Cub Scout, a parent had to accompany him.  Hubby was not available ... so I rented a cabin while the troop (and parents) slept in tents. I shared my story and pictures on my travel blog at this link.

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, June 7, 10 pm in Baltimore.  

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, June 8.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City   

Learn more about Kate and her books at katedyerseeley.com.

Note that I did not have pictures of the Pacific Northwest, so inserted my belowed Hawaii. 

Atop the Lanikai Overlook

14 comments:

  1. I like the outdoors, but I never went camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun story. I like the outdoors, and love to hike. We went hiking at the national parks in Alberta, Canada. The scenery was beautiful. We did have to turn around at one point though, because we were told by a fellow hiker that there was a bear on the trail up ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only real experiences were when I did girl scout camping with my daughters but I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was a teacher, so every summer we'd travel around the US tent camping. I loved it as a kid, but now I'd take glamping. I've had my fill of putting up tents in the rain and snow. LOL

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did so much camping as a child. Not a big fan. I like the great outdoors to be out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked camping when I was young... now I'm more into a cabin style camping... I'm with Marcy.... I'm done with the extra work of putting up & taking down tents.. and give me indoor plumbing easy access...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could take leave it! I'm not a nature person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get bad allergic reactions to bites so definitely not an outdoors person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not much outdoor person,
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy hiking and sailing and visiting gardens but I do not want to camp. I like sleeping in a real bed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the outdoors, as long as it is sunny with a cool breeze....I don't enjoy it when it is too hot & too humid..............

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've mixed feelings about the great outdoors. When I was a kid I was extremely allergic to all types of insects but was forced to go camping. I came home with hives and my eyes almost swollen shut. Every. Time. Once I became an adult, I avoided camping unless it had air conditioning and a bathroom. I do like walking, but the Texas heat can make it difficult to enjoy it. Hmm. Looking more like loathe, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete