Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Celebrate Hawaii Week - Aloha to Chip Hughes, The Surfing Detective, and KULA

10095089

Continuing our celebration of Hawaii, KULA is Book 3 in Chip Hughes' Surfing Detective series ...

Summoned to the Honolulu hilltop mansion of radio pitchman Barry Buckingham, presumably to trace his missing wife, the Surfing Detective is in for the letdown of his career. Kai Cook is hired to track another lost family member. A dog.


Despite his qualms, Kai would seem a natural for the case, since the golden retriever named Kula is a famous surfing dog. Yet the PI knows nothing about finding missing pets. But he does know where to find help—Maile Barnes, an ex-K9 cop and kindred spirit with the keys to unlock the dark underworld of animal theft in the islands. 

Then a questionable tip takes Kai to a late-night rendezvous, his tipster winds up dead, and the detective himself becomes a suspect. Can he clear his name and find the murderer before he strikes again? The PI tracks the illusive retriever from O‘ahu to the Big Island to Maui, but the killer is one step ahead—other players linked to the dog’s disappearance keep turning up dead. 

Is a ghost from Barry Buckingham’s past behind the murders? Or is Kai’s client just a misunderstood man with a lost pet? To solve this third case in the Surfing Detective series, Kai Cooke must do what he never does—take on a partner. Teaming up with the headstrong K9 cop is his only shot to liberate the famous surfing dog, who is somehow always at the center of this mystery.

Kailua Beach

People say I train dogs, but in many ways I train people. 
- Cesar Millan

Chip Hughes sends Kai Cooke, the Surfing Detective, into the heartwrenching world of dog fighting that plagues the Hawaiian islands.  Yet he leaves it in the background, giving Kai the opporutnity to demonstrate his sleuthing skills, act as a big brother to a neglected teenager, and team up with a sexy partner.   (And this is a cozy mystery, so there is a happy ending for the animals).   Hughes delivers a fast paced action adventure with vivid descriptions of Oahu, the Big Island, and Maui.   The author introduces readers to a capable heroine who can handle the criminal element as well as Kai's romantic overtures.  And then there is Kula - a dog worth the rescue.

KULA will appeal to readers who appreciate cozy mysteries, tropical settings, and animal lovers.  I purchased a copy of KULA for my personal enjoyment.

Dog Beach near Pearl Harbor

I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Have you seen a dog surf?  Or other unusual animal tricks?

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, June 14, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, June 15.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Chip and his books at surfingdetective.com.

Check out pictures of Kailua Beach, where Kula surfs, at this link and link.

136685126677720894457

  

17 comments:

  1. I haven't seen a dog surf, but have seen them on skateboards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes on tv thanks
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen some funny antics on the internet, but not in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen dogs surf on TV but not personally seen anything, except for maybe in the circus

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember seeing a dog surf but I do remember seeing some jump through hoops on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No but the neighbor's dog does agility training--through barrels, up ladders, over fences (particularly our joint fence).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen a dog surf and have seen a dog some unusual tricks on America So You Think You Got Talent; but don't ask me what they were. LOL.

    patoct

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is right up my reading alley! Thank you, Kim!

    I realized while reading this blog that one year ago today I was on Oahu, following your wonderful directions and enjoying the scenic - and culinary - delights of the North Shore. That's enough incentive to go download this book right now. :)

    Yep, I have seen a dog surf. Surfed better than I could ever hope to! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have a surf dog competition here every year and last year we went to it. It was so much fun watching the dogs surf! I plan to go again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never saw a dog surf. Would love to win a book from your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely striking out - have never seen a dog surf or any other kinds of dog tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all the giveaways this week. I never saw a dog surf.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen a little pug surf on TV before but not in person. That little guy is better at surfing than me!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I`ve seen dogs surf on YouTube and on TV. Whenever I think of animal tricks, for some reason I always think of cats or squirrels driving little boats around the pool. I must have seen that somewhere before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen a dog surf, or do any tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't seen a dog surf, but I have seen a dog ride a skateboard. It was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete