Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Celebrate Hawaii Week - Aloha to Chip Hughes, The Surfing Detective, and WIPEOUT!

1266777

Continuing our celebration of Hawaii, WIPEOUT! is Book 2 in Chip Hughes' Surfing Detective series:

“Delivering babies is not in my standard contract,” says Kai Cooke to his very pregnant client, Summer McDahl. Summer has hired the Surfing Detective with an unusual request: to prove her husband is dead. Corky McDahl wiped out on Christmas Eve in heavy surf at Waimea Bay and vanished. Now it’s February, Summer’s baby is soon due, and the P.I. finds himself on a twisted treasure hunt spanning three Hawaiian islands. 


Did Corky pull off the most daring skip-trace ever? The answer turns out to be more complicated than the question would suggest, involving the islands’ big-wave riding and drug trafficking scenes, not to mention the competing claims of Corky’s two “widows.” Is Corky McDahl dead or alive? Though the “Surfing Detective” seems the last to know, his client gains a great deal more than her money paid for.


Just take your time - wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one. - Duke Kahanamoku

WIPEOUT continues the sleuthing adventures of Kai Cooke, the Surfing Detective.  A very pregnant client visits his office in Chinatown, Oahu, asking for Kai's help to find her missing husband, presumed dead after a a wipeout at Waimea Beach.   The surfer's disappearance doesn't add up ... and neither does the wife's interest in finding him.   Kai's investigation leads him to Oahu's North Shore, Maui's cowboy town, and Lanai's Shipwreck Beach.   Tides come and tides go ... and Kai rides the waves to find the answer.

Hughes delivers another cozy mystery set in the Hawaiian Islands.  He captures the exotic landscape that attracts tourists ... and the ugly underbelly of criminal activity that plagues paradise.   This quick read will appeal to fans of Hawaiian life and surfing lingo.  


I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1. Have you tried surfing and/or stand up paddling?  I have not ... I preferred to photograph the beach landscape.

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, June 14, 10 pm in Baltimore.  

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, June 15.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Chip and his books at surfingdetective.com.

Check out my pictures of Waimea Beach at this link and nearby Pupukea at this link.

1366851009508920894457

17 comments:

  1. Haven't tried either, but would love to try stand up paddling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have not, but would try
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to watch. Safer for everyone I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit no, I haven't tried either one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Water is not my favorite element, at least for being in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never surfed or stand up paddled. Deep water scares me enough that I generally just watch other people surf/paddle from the shore. LOL

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope - I can only swim a little - can't tread water so nope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stand up paddling looks intriguing but I have never done either one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not tried any kind of surfing or paddling.
    Patoct

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to try surfing and should have done so when we were in Kauai. I can do so here in So. CA but the water is much, much colder here than Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't tried either one.
    gmapeony

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried either one and would prefer to watch at this point. Those type of adventures are long in the past for me, even if I lived near water!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not tried either one.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not tried either but I'm always amazed at people who could surf or paddle and make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No I haven`t been surfing before but I would love to learn how to paddle. Although I`m not sure if I`m coordinated enough to stay dry! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not tried either, but I will be trying to paddle board this summer possibly. :)
    Since I live on the Gulf Coast, we don't have any waves for surfing.

    ReplyDelete