Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Aloha to Sherri Browning and THORNBROOK PARK

17367847 

Sherri Browning joins us today to celebrate the release of THORNBROOK PARK.  From her bio,

Sherri Browning Erwin, best known for critically acclaimed classic mash-ups Jane Slayre and Grave Expectations, also writes paranormal romance and historical romance as Sherri Browning. A graduate of Mount Holyoke College, Sherri has lived in Massachusetts and Michigan, but is now settled with her family in Simsbury, Connecticut. Watch for her return to historical romance with the upcoming Thornbrook Park series.

Her books have been mentioned in People magazine, USA Today, Seventeen, the Huffington Post, the Wall Street Journal blog, UK’s Telegraph and Argus, and once, as the subject of a New York Times cartoon. She remains a diehard Patriots fan, a proud member of Red Sox Nation, an adventurous eater, avid traveler, and a frequent visitor to Walt Disney World.


Social Networking Links:

Website: sherribrowningerwin.com
Twitter: twitter.com/SherriErwin
Facebook: facebook.com/SherriBrowningErwin 
Goodreads: link

Kim:  Connecticut! What is your favorite sight, smell, and sound of the Nutmeg State?

Sherri:  I live near the historic Heublein Tower, and I smile every time I see it. There's a romantic story behind it, how could I resist? Food and beverage magnate Gilbert Heublein (of A1 Steak Sauce and Smirnoff Vodka fame), was hiking with his fiancee Louise M. Gundlach on Talcott Mountain and vowed to build her a castle there. It was built as their summer home and retreat in 1914. Now visitors can go up to enjoy the views, most spectacular in Autumn.

My favorite smells are all the plants and flowers around my house, some planted by previous residents and some naturally occurring. Peonies, roses, tulips, violets, lilacs, azaleas, forsythia... I live at the edge of protected land, and the natural flora and fauna is always threatening to take over and invade our space, but I love it.

My favorite sounds are the occasional planes I hear overhead due to the proximity of Hartford's Bradley Field, our local airport. Airplanes remind me of travel, and I love to imagine taking off on new adventures.

Kim:  Walt Disney World! I am a Florida resident who spent many summers in WDW! I remember the old coupon system - rides were categorized A-E and required a ticket with a corresponding ticket. What draws you to WDW?

Sherri:  I was an impressionable twelve-year-old girl on my first visit to Disney World. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom in the middle of the Easter parade, what a greeting! At night, the fireworks over the castle and twinkling lights on every tree made it all seem like an enchanted fairy land, so romantic. I dreamed of being there with my own Prince Charming one day. When I was finally older and in love, I suggested it as a possible honeymoon destination and my fiance thought I was a little weird. I convinced him to try it, thanks to the appeal of the then newly built Grand Floridian Resort, and it has been a special place for us since then.

Kim:  Can you share tidbits from your adventurous eating and avid travels?

Sherri:  My family has always believed in exposing kids to new experiences, including fine dining. My grandparents used to take us out to dinner every now and then, and one of their favorites was a fine old establishment called the Delaney House, a restaurant that featured fresh frog's legs from the Connecticut River. My grandfather suggested I try them and I was up for the challenge. I was only seven, but I loved them. Every time we went somewhere new, I wanted to try what was most celebrated at the restaurant or in the area, and I still do. Most recently, it was alligator in New Orleans.

Kim:  What unusual facts did you learn from your research into Edwardian era for your new series, Thornbrook Park?

Sherri:  The servants were more technologically savvy than their wealthy employers. The employers were buying all the new yard and household innovations, but it was the servants who learned to operate them and most often used them.

Kim:  What's next for Sherri Browning?

Sherri:  There are two more books coming in the Thornbrook Park series (An Affair Downstairs out in January 2015), and maybe I can extend the series into the 1920s with the next generation. I'm also continuing my Regency series, the Oxford Rogues, started way back in 1999 with my very first book, The Scoundrel's Vow, now out as an ebook. And I would like to get back to paranormal romance, maybe with something for the Young Adult market. 


Mahalo, Sherri, for THORNBROOK PARK!  Sourcebooks is giving away a print copy of THORNBROOK PARK to one randomly selected commenter:

Fans of Downton Abbey will adore this brand-new Edwardian-period romance series set at the grand estate of Thornbrook Park, seat of the Earl of Averford.

In a world poised for epic change...

Disowned for marrying beneath her, Eve Kendal has returned to England destitute after her husband's death and the mysterious disappearance of their savings. She's looking for survival, not romance. But from London to the Yorkshire countryside to the elegant estate of Thornbrook Park, Eve's path seems destined to cross that of the dashing but violent Captain Marcus Thorne.

Anything can happen...

For Marcus, a return home means facing the demons that drove him to war in the first place. As he and Eve begin a steamy affair, tensions that had been simmering just beneath the surface threaten to explode and shake the very foundations of Thornbrook Park.


Amazon - link
Barnes and Noble - link
iTunes - link

To enter the giveaway, leave a comment ...

1.  What gadget do you think had the biggest impact on manor houses such as THORNBROOK PARK?

2.  Sourcebooks' giveaway is open to readers in the US and Canada.

3.  Comments are open through Saturday, June 7, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, June 8.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore 
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Heublein Tower at Talcott Mountain State Park
Heublein Tower
www.ct.gov

12 comments:

  1. I would think electricity would be a big change for large manor houses. I think Thornbrook Park sounds like a wonderful story and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think indoor plumbing would be a big deal.

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indoor plumbing and electricity that's my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think electric lighting would have made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Electricity, indoor plumbing, and toilets with pull handles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indoor plumbing is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd pick plumbing over electricity :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely indoor plumbing ;)

    ReplyDelete