Friday, December 12, 2014

Celebrate Little Victories - Eagle Scout Ceremony


Two weeks ago, our Boy Scout Troop welcomed its newest Eagle Scout - Jason is in the middle.  He is surrounded by other Eagle Scouts at the ceremony.  Note the Army veteran from the Korean Conflict in the back right.   He serves as an advisor to our troop.


His mother, a school teacher, made these displays of Jason's activities in Scouts.  She shared how they discovered our troop's snow cone stand during the Savage Strawberry Festival in June 2009.  One month later, Jason attended his first summer camp.   Five years later, he earned Eagle Scout.   Kudos to James and his mother for making this happen!


Jason participated in the 12 day backpacking at the Philmont Scout Ranch in 2012 - this is a jewel in the crown of a scout's achievement.


James is know for his artistic talent.  His mother, in turn, painted this Eagle for him.  It brought tears to my eyes ... 


Jason received letters of congratulations from Presidents Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush, and George H. W. Bush.  He also received letters from Vice President Joseph Biden, Secretary of State John Kerry, and several Congressional representatives.  I was impressed!


This was a good day for the youth of America!

Do you have any scouts in your extended family?  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash.  Comments are open through Saturday, December 20, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, December 21.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

My family in their scout uniforms.
Hubby sang the National Anthem during the ceremony.


21 comments:

  1. No scouts in the family. Love the gift from mother to son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother got his Eagle Scout award too - he also made the trip to Philmont.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friend's son is in scouts and really likes it. I think he plans to work his way to Eagle Scout. Wow, that Eagle painting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Scouts, but lots of Brownies & Girl Guides. I still have all of my Brownie badges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Jason (and your guys look very impressive in their uniforms)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't... I've asked my 8 year old if he wants to join but he always says no.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All girls in my family. But next door, all were Boy Scouts. One is now retired from the BSA organization. Philmont was always mentioned in a reverent tone! Eagle Scout is such an achievement! Congrats to all involved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did have scouts. Two of my girls were in until senior year. I was their leader. My youngest did not. I was not her leader.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No......not a lot of boys in my extended family. Mostly girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister was a scout in her younger years. She loved the outdoors, but I stayed inside with a good book :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No scouts in my family. Congratulations to Jason and his Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite impressive. I was in the girl scouts and then both my girls were too. I was also an assistant leader for 3 or 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My 5 girrls were scouts and both sons were as well. Long time aago but pleasant memories . Jaason I aa very impressive young man. Congrats to him and his MOM. Thanks for the post.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750. ( at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually don't know of any scouts in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My son made Eagle summer before his senior year in high school. My husband is an assistant scout master. They did the Philmont experience and really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No scouts in my family either. I loved all the displays, and am amazed at all the badges your handsome sons have. You must be one proud mummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter was a Brownie and a Girl Scout. She really loved it.
    I enjoyed seeing all the badges, it brought back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a cousin who is an eagle scout. He went to college down in Arkansas becaue he wanted to be a forest ranger. Not sure if he is though. Congrats to Jason!

    ReplyDelete