Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hump Day News - State of Romance, Avon Roamnce's KissCon, and Optimism

Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina
Released to Public Domain (link)  

Aloha!   For the evening crowd ....

Today is the 111th anniversary of the Wright Brother's first flight at Kitty Hawk.   To celebrate, State of Romance visits North Carolina this link.

I dedicate the first paragraph to Mary Gramlich, the Reading Reviewer, who has taught me how to relax during air travel.


File:First flight2.jpg
Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk
Public Domain (link)

Avon kicked off its KissCon in Seattle last month.   From Avon's own publicist, Jessie Edwards:

I’m so pleased to share this fun reel from the Speed Round of our first ever KissCon: An Avon Affair in Seattle—a grand event that took place just before Thanksgiving and featured 14 Avon authors, including Julia Quinn, Rachel Gibson, Sarah MacLean, Ilona and Gordon Andrews, Laura Kaye, Lorraine Heath, Lori Wilde, Elizabeth Boyle, Cathy Maxwell, Sophie Jordan, Jennifer Bernard, Julie Brannagh, and Darlene Panzera. In the speed round, the authors were asked some wild and wacky questions by their intrepid publicity director. They only had 3 seconds to answer. What did they say???

Check out the video at this link.

KissCon will be visiting Sarasota, FL and St. Louis, MO in 2015.   Mary has already signed up for KissCon in St. Louis.  I'm waiting for KissCon to come to Baltimore.


Sharing ice cream with Cathy

Notice who is has the biggest smile in the video ... the always optimistic Cathy Maxwell.   She is spotlighted in Fox News' online article, Thankful for the Gift of Optimism, at this link.

Thank you, Cathy, for keeping me grounded.  I think the Wright Bros. may have been related to your ornery relatives!

I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about any of the following  ...

... what you know about North Carolina
... any romances set in North Carolina
... how you relax on air travel
... you favorite Avon Author
... any "ornery" relatives in your family

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, December 20, 10 pm in Baltimore.  

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, December 21.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

File:Bragg gate.066.jpg
North Carolina is home to Fort Bragg
Image released to Public Domain (link)

18 comments:

  1. I know a lot of Nicholas Sparks's novels are set in NC.

    I like Boone, NC. Nearby Tweetsie Rail Road is a fun place to visit.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read to relax during air travel. I had a very ornery great-aunt that was as mean as an animal with rabies that eventually died of cancer. She had alienated the whole family and enjoyed doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't fly anymore so no relaxing there. lol
    Ornery relatives...all of them. Pretty much all of them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to many of the beaches in North Carolina. Their Women's basketball team is pretty good. I relax by reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read to relax on flights. I have also made the decision to not be afraid and not worry about being in the air, especially if there is turbulence. I decided that if we are crashing, then I can be scared, but until that time comes (and hopefully it never will) I won't be scared. And just thinking this has really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miranda Neville is one of my favorite Avon authors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura Kaye,Candis Terry,Rachel Gibson - my favourite Avon authors :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love air travel, but I have not flown in ages. I tend to just day dream & wait for the trolley to come around with my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great authosrs! I read ,sleep on planes
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never traveled by air, because of the idea alone is making me anything BUT relaxed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eloisa James is one of my favorite Avon authors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the Wright Brothers were from NC and my Aunt Jennifer is from there as well. She can be pretty onery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I commented but don't see if. If I repeat myself I apologize. Read a book it will make you forget everything - reading always relaxes me and let's me forget what is going on around me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura Kaye is my fav. Avon Author :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. don't have a fav Avon author

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've vacationed at the outer banks of NC a couple times - getting there can be a traffic nightmare to get across that northern bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know the Outer Banks are in North Carolina since my son has been there a couple of times. We have a couple of ornery relatives in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A friend of the family lives in North Carolina! We went up there for Christmas once-- it was lovely.

    ReplyDelete