Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Aloha to Tina Gabrielle and AT THE SPY'S PLEASURE

25438256

During my recent visit to the NJRW chapter, I invited Tina Gabrielle to be a guest here at SOS Aloha (she write my favorite genre - historical romance).  From her bio,

Tina Gabrielle, an Amazon best-selling author, is an attorney and former mechanical engineer whose love of reading for pleasure helped her get through years of academia. She often picked up a romance and let her fantasies of knights in shining armor and lords and ladies carry her away. Tina’s books have been Barnes & Noble top picks, and her first book, Lady Of Scandal, was nominated as best first historical romance by Romantic Times Book Reviews. Tina loves to hear from readers. Please visit her website to join her newsletter and enter her free monthly contests and giveaways.

Kim:  Tell us about New Jersey - what is your favorite sight, sound, and smell of the Garden State?

Tina:  This is an easy one. The Jersey Shore is my favorite retreat. I’ve vacationed at Wildwood Crest since I was a young girl and we return every summer. I love the fine sand, the long stretch of beach, and the boardwalk with all its sights and sounds. The only thing that’s changed for me is that I now bring my own children to experience summers at the Jersey shore.

Coming in second place is my vegetable garden. True to New Jersey’s name of the Garden State, I grew up with a family garden. I have my own vegetable garden now, and I look forward to my beefsteak tomatoes each summer.

Kim:  You mention as a teen you had a scotch taped library card.  Can you share a favorite memory at the library?

Tina:  Our local librarians were wonderful ladies in my youth. I had a voracious appetite for reading, and I read all types of fiction. Romance was my favorite, of course. The library didn’t have a separate romance section back then. All the paperback novels were grouped together on two large shelves. I faithfully stopped by the library every week and borrowed a dozen books at a time. My library card was well used and most of the librarians would smile as they helped me at the check out desk. Things have changed, and the library now has a large romance section. It’s better than chocolate and I’m a true chocoholic!

Kim:  I am impressed with your resume! What have you learned from mechanical engineering and law that you can apply to writing romance novels?

Tina:  I learned how best to research in law school. I’ve also written romances with barristers. The hero of my most recent release, At the Spy’s Pleasure, is a barrister by day and a spy for the Crown at night. My Barrister series, In The Barrister’s Chambers and In the Barrister’s Bed, are Regency romances about sexy lawyers and the women who wreak havoc in their chambers and steal their hearts. I researched the criminal law system during the Regency as well how barristers lived and even what their chambers looked liked back then. I used real life experiences to write the courtroom scenes and put those feelings on the page. I had to be careful not to dump all my research into the book but to weave the historical facts with the fun, spicy romance. It was a lot of work, but so much fun to see the books published.

Kim:  Tell us about your books - what inspired them?

Tina:  I have always loved romance novels and admit that I am addicted to the happily ever after. Life has its ups and downs, but romance novels are wonderfully consistent. I’ve read plenty of literary fiction novels in school and I appreciate the talent behind each one, but they don’t leave me feeling happy, satisfied, and uplifted—only romance!

Kim:  What's next for Tina Gabrielle?

Tina:  I’m working on a new Regency romance series about the three daughters of an infamous art forger. I’m excited about the books. I’m an amateur lover of art and often visit the Philadelphia Art Museum across the river from New Jersey.

In the first book of the series, An Artful Seduction, the eldest daughter, Eliza, opens a print shop in order to survive after her art forging father abandons her and her two younger sisters rather than face imprisonment. Grayson, the Earl of Huntingdon, is a well-renowned art critic who was duped by Eliza’s father years ago and who is now seeking justice. But Grayson meets his match when he tries to blackmail the feisty Eliza into helping him find her father. The book was fun to research and write and it will be released in 2016.


Mahalo, Tina, for chatting with us today!  I have to catch up with your series In the Crown's Secret Service, including A SPY UNMASKED and the recently released AT THE SPY'S PLEASURE (stay tuned for reviews).

Tina is giving away two digital copies of A SPY UNMASKED To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about art - do you have a favorite artist or museum?  As cliche as it may be, I'm partial to Monet.  I've seen his classics during my first assignment in Boston (Museum of Fine Art) and my second assignment with NATO (Musée d'Orsay in Paris).  

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, July 18, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, July 19.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

25505270

31 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, I remember you from the NJRW conference this past October, and hi Tina! Great interview. I love all kinds of art. I recently went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and loved the portraits there, although my favorite museum is now the Frick. Good luck with your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I hope to visit the Metropolitan Museum soon. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. What a great interview!! I really enjoyed it. The book sounds fantastic! NJRWA is a great group! Shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stories about Spies, and have read Tina's other books. I really hope that this is going to be available in print form. I love the British Museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Yes, the books are now available in print. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed my other books!

      Delete
  4. Rosso Fiorentino, William Adolphe Bouguereau & Eugène Médard are some of my favorite artists :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim. Hi Tina, I'm your huge fan from Indonesia. I love every each of your books. I love art but not much museum from where I live, i enjoy good art and always fond of Leonardo da Vinci's painting. Good luck with new book and hope it's published in Indonesia soon. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yunita! I'm so happy you like my books. You have a beautiful country and have always wanted to visit Indonesia. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Monet is my favorite artist. But my favorite museum is Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum. Thanks for the post and giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Monet! There are some beautiful pieces of his at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Always a favorite.

      Delete
  7. Congrats to Tina on the recent release. Van Gogh and Titian are two of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane! Van Gogh's Sunflowers are one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  8. Pittsburgh has some great museums such as the Carnegie Museum of Art. I always like Michaelangelo and DaVinci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Pittsburgh, but will have to check out the museum one day. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. I have always liked Thomas Kinkade and Thomas McKnight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not have a fav artist.....but I do love the art museum in my city.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful interview, Tina! My favorite artist is Dali - and my fav museum is El Prado in Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

      Delete
  12. Thomas Kinkade and Robert Bateman are two of my favorite artists. Thanks for sharing the great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really have a favorite artist. I enjoy realistic landscapes whether they are in the US or Europe and whether there current or historical. This also included seascapes. I like the feeling of space and freedom they give me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many I like, that I can't pick just one favorite either. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Thanks so much Artemis. The day trip sounded like a great time. If you try one of my books, I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's too hard to pick just one! I love trying to teach my kids the love of art. Your art themed books sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I had a fun time writing "An Artful Seduction."

      Delete
  16. My favorite is the Sistine Chapel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby, I would love to see this one day!

      Delete
  17. I like a lot of the Impressionists, such as Monet, Manet, and Degas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't been to any great museums, just a local one with local art, not too impressive. I think my favorite artist is Van Gogh, his work is lovely.

    ReplyDelete