Saturday, January 9, 2016

Aloha to Jane Austen's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE - An Audible Book with Rosamund Pike


Aloha!  I am away from home this week with limited internet access. I hope you enjoy the book spotlights in my absence ...

One of Jane Austen's most beloved works, Pride and Prejudice, is vividly brought to life by Academy Award nominee Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl). In her bright and energetic performance of this British classic, she expertly captures Austen's signature wit and tone. Her attention to detail, her literary background, and her performance in the 2005 feature film version of the novel provide the perfect foundation from which to convey the story of Elizabeth Bennett, her four sisters, and the inimitable Mr. Darcy.

In Pride and Prejudice, the Bennett sisters try to find their way in the repressive strictures of 19th-century society. Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and the experience of falling in love, and she superbly describes a world which, despite being more than two centuries old, still resonates with modern concerns.



Especially in Britain, people want to limit you. - Rosamund Pike

English actress Rosamund Pike starred as Jane, along side Keira Knightley's Elizabeth, in the 2005 film PRIDE AND PREJUDICE.  Having worn the corset, and portrayed a English woman limited by society, Rosamund offers a credible voice for the Audible version of this beloved classic.

Released on December 8, 2015 - ten years after the film - the Audible version is 10 discs/11 hours of Pike's delicious accent taking me back to that time we celebrate in historical romance. Listening to the discs during the holiday season gave me the opportunity to savor the pomp and pageantry through Pike's storytelling.   This is my first Audible book - hearing Jane's heartbreak, Darcy's snobbery, and Elizabeth's retorts offered a new experience that was both satisfying and fulfilling.

Recommended listen for fans of Jane Austen who can devote several hours to a step back in history. 

Image courtesy of Audible

I am giving away Regency swag to one randomly selected commenter. To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave  a comment about Jane Austen, her books, and her characters.

I did not read Jane Austen in high school.  I discovered her books during my honeymoon in Devon.   I enjoy most adaptions, especially the gorgeous settings in the English countryside.  

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, January 23, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, January 24.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

File:GroombridgePlace01.jpg
Groombridge Place, film location for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
Image by Simon Larson (link)

14 comments:

  1. I love all of Jane Austen's stories. SENSE AND SENSIBILITY and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely a Janeite, devoured all her stories, the movies made, even crafted Jane/Regency things myself. Like a shopper with her silhouette on it. Another one that says Fancy a Darcy day? & I always do ;-) Acoupke of dolls in Regency dresses. I read all those other romances based on Jane's most beloved characters. My favorite so far is A Weekend with Mr Darcy. But you can never get enough Austen into your life can you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love Mr.Darcy also Sense and Sensibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to Pride and Prejudice on tape

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't go wrong with Jane Austen. I remember enjoying Emma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Persuasion is my favorite novel by Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a minute there I was hoping you were giving a copy of the audio away and Inwas super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the movie adaptions of Jane's books - I'm not sure I ever actually read one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think everyone is unanimous that Jane Austen's characters sparkle. :)

    One of my highlights in the summer of my seventeenth year was reading Northanger Abbey. I liked reading about people the same age as me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do enjoy her stories especially Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my all time favorite book! And I LOVE Rosamund Pike! How perfect <3

    ReplyDelete