Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Wednesday's Warriors - Aloha to Carrie Morgan and THE ROAD BACK FROM BROKEN

26090691

Aloha!  I am away from home this week with limited internet access. I hope you enjoy the book spotlights in my absence ...

For Fitz, having survived means being haunted by the very memories he wants to forget...

Four months after surviving an IED blast in Afghanistan, Army sergeant Jacob Fitzgerald has recovered from his physical injuries but his invisible wounds continue to fester.

Devastated by the loss of his friend Peterson, a gifted medic who was killed in the IED attack, Fitz turns to alcohol to dull his pain. But his solace proves short-lived when a DUI crash leaves Fitz one screw-up away from a court martial and he comes home to find his wife Jenn packing her bags.

Desperate to save his marriage and his Army career, Fitz is befriended by Remy, a young Army chaplain haunted by demons of his own. Fitz leans on Remy for support when sobriety proves a mixed blessing, bringing the clarity of mind needed to reconnect with his family while unleashing a flood of vivid, searing flashbacks.

As the haunting memories of the IED attack and his fallen comrade send Fitz into a spiral of anguish, he must choose between numbing the pain and losing both his family and his career, or coming to terms with his role in the death of his friend.



A lawyer by training but a storyteller at heart, Carrie Morgan grew up in Littleton, Colorado but now lives in Florida with her husband, a U.S. Army infantry veteran. Carrie is a lifelong student of history and her stories of family drama and personal struggle reflect her belief that the events of the past have long half-lives measured in generations.

I am currently reading THE ROAD BACK FROM BROKEN - stay tuned for my review.  I am giving away military swag plus a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Do you have any veterans in your family?  

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, January 23, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, January 24.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

NY National Guard on duty for
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
(outside a book store, no less)

19 comments:

  1. My father & his father were in the armed forces. My father during WWII and my grandfather WWI and WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many veterans in my family - father, father innlaw, brother, brothers in law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I do, my husband, nephew and brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a vg read. I have some friends and a cousin in law who are vets. My Dad had 5 brothers and 3 sisters. All are gone but one sister. 5 of the boys served in WW2 including Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops forgot my name - comment about my Dad and his brothers)
    ladbookfan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting and emotional book! My father, uncle, and cousin are all veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my Dad was in the Navy during WWII and a cousin in the Air Force for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many uncles, my dad, and both my in-laws were and my husband is a Vietnam Vet

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father and all his brothers (all 5 of them) were WWII veterans. 3 of my mother's brothers were also WWII veterans. My husband is a veteran, having served in the Air Force for 24+ years starting during the Vietnam War. Both his dad and dad's brother were veterans. His uncle was killed after being shot down over France during WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope I don't have any veterans in the family as yet

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband was in the Army for three years. My dad was in the Marine Corps for ten years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have lots of military in my family. My grandpa served in World War Two.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, my Dad was.
    Patty B43

    ReplyDelete