Saturday, September 26, 2015

Aloha to Hawaii Five O Season 6 Premiere - Mai ho`oni i ka wai lana mâlie (Do Not Disturb the Water that is Tranquil)


Hawaii Five-0 is back for its sixth season on Friday nights. From CBS.com

The sixth season of Hawaii Five-O premieres with “Do Not Disturb the Water that is Tranquil,” as a murder leads the Five-0 team to investigate a centuries old pirate story involving buried treasure and a killer who is using the back of a stolen painting as a map.

The episode opens with pirates invading Honolulu in the 1880s, interrupting a state dinner hosted by King Kalakaua.  Coming back to the present, Hawaii Five O jumps into Kono's wedding reception with her "cousin" Tia Carrere singing a Hawaiian ballad.   

Born and raised in Honolulu, Tia Carrere is a Grammy award-winning musical artist of Hawaiian music.

cbs.com

While the H50 family and friends are enjoying the wedding, an archaeologist turned treasure hunter is murdered on the other side of the island.  The H50 team is activated the next morning to investigate ... and Steve asks Jerry (aka Mr. Conspiracy Theory) to fill in for honeymooning Kono.   They soon learn the archaeologist was searching for the pirate's booty from 'Iolani Palace.  

The episode follows the typical pattern of most police procedural series with high tech gadgets, facial recognition, car chases, and fight scenes.  Three things set Hawaii Five-O apart:

1.  The bromance.  Steve and Danno are back in action, squabbling as they drive across the island to each crime scene. Yet Danno breaks into a huge smile when Steve announces his plans to ask Catherine to marry him.  Even the cynic in Danno can't help but be happy for his SEAL pal.

2.  The cast.  They play off each other.  When the team discovers the murderer is a descendant of one of the pirates, 

Jerry:  "The coconut doesn't fall too far from the tree."

Steve: "It's the apple that doesn't fall too far."

(Chin Ho enters the room and they tell him about the connection)

Chin Ho:  "The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."

3.  Hawaii.   H50 incorporates its culture and beauty into every episode.

Mahalo, Hawaii Five-O, for taking me back to paradise.  

Alex O'Loughlin as Steve McGarrett, Scott Caan as Danny "Danno" Williams, Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho Kelly, and Chi McBride as Captain Lou Grover
cbs.com

I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about coconuts (or apples) - do you like coconut (or apple) pie?  Or some other delicacy?

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, October 3, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, October 4.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

23 comments:

  1. yes I like both,etc. I like way too many kinds of pies and such

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are delicious, but applepie is special to me. As my grandmother used to bake the best applepie ever. Been trying for years to make one, using her recipe, that tastes the same... No luck as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like apple pie
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coconut as a baking/cooking ingredient. I always add more.

    I have not had apple pie in ages. Love it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like coconut cream pie and apple pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like coconut on cakes.......but I love apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much into apple pie but I do like coconuts, especially coconut cream!!

    What a great first episode back! I was so upset about Kono and Adam!! Love this show and love seeing Catherine back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Growing up in Hawaii, I heard "the coconut doesn't fall far from the tree" many times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like both coconut and apples. Not a big pie eater though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love coconuts in pies on their own, I am allergic to apples so can't have them. When I was a small child I eat them then got sick all the time , it wasn't till years later I found out. I miss them use to love apple pies.
    Penney

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't care for shredded coconut but love the flavor. Fresh pineapple is a favorite as are mangoes although I don't get them too often due to the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pie; coconut creme, apple, whatever - if it's a sweet pie I'll probably like it. I'm not fond of coconut alone though. It's one of the few fruits I don't like that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love apple and blackberry pie, especially the ones that my Mum used to make. She was an amazing cook, and never measured anything out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love both apples & coconut - my favorite candybar is Mounds - love warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream, and we used to make a yummy and easy coconut pie (I'll have to look for that recipe).
    I watched the show last night - must have been great fun filming those pirate scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like everything coconut, especially coconut cookies and bread.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love apple pie; coconut pie is pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like most things made with apples :) I really like caramel apples...
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  18. Even though I enjoy both pies, apple pie is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love coconut with chocolate! Great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I grew up in the middle of apple country in Northeastern NY. Enjoyed going out into the orchard and getting an apple when I liked. Apple pie is a favorite and I make it frequently. I did serve in the Philippines for 3 years and enjoyed my share of coconuts. I like coconut pie, but enjoy those someone else makes.

    ReplyDelete