Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Aloha to Celebrity Apprentice, Abraham Lincoln, and King's Hawaiian Barbeque Sauce - TV Review


I have enjoyed the first four episodes of The New Celebrity Apprentice.  From NBC (link),

Sixteen celebrities are set to compete for their favorite charities when "The Celebrity Apprentice" shifts to Los Angeles for its eighth season, where twice-elected California governor and international movie superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger reigns over the Boardroom.

The celebrity lineup is Laila Ali, Brooke Burke-Charvet, Eric Dickerson, Boy George, Matt Iseman, Carrie Keagan, Carson Kressle, Lisa Leslie, Jon Lovitz, Vince Neil, Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, Kyle Richards, Chael Sonnen, Porsha Williams, Ricky Williams, and Carnie Wilson.

Can reality TV promote charity?  Think of the Real Housewives taking a break from breaking dishes to create marketing campaigns for sponsoring businesses.  In fact, Real Housewives have been contestants over the past 8 years ... and this season includes two housewives! 


The contestants are initially split into two teams - men versus women.  Given the strong personalities on both teams, it gives us a glimpse of how celebrities handle stress.  During one boardroom scene, Arnold aka The Governor asked the men about teamwork. The project manager suggested it was difficult to manage different ideas in the short time period for each task.  Arnold responded that Abraham Lincoln did not surround himself with yes men to expose himself to different perspectives, even from those who opposed him on the campaign trail.  Wow - Arnold quoting Lincoln!    

The task for fourth episode was especially fun for me - promoting King's Hawaiian new line of BBQ sauce.  From the King's Hawaiian (link),

Back in the 1950's in Hilo, Hawaii, a young man named Robert Taira had a passion for baking. Through the years, he created a bread that was irresistibly soft, sweet, and became a Hawaiian classic. Today, the Taira family continues his legacy with an equally irresistible BBQ sauce. No high fructose corn syrup, no artificial color or flavors, and no preservatives. Only quality ingredients combined with the Aloha spirit that brings a taste of Hawaii to your table.

Flavors include:

- Original Sweet Pineapple
- Big Island Lava
- Smoked Bacon
- Light Roasted Kona Coffee

Yum!


I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash. To enter the giveaway, leave a comment about any or all:

- If you were to appear on Celebrity Apprentice, what charity would you represent?

I would represent the USO.

- Do you have a favorite Arnold movie?

I enjoyed him in Kindergarten Cop.

- What BBQ sauce would you like to try?

All! 

Comments are open through Sunday, January 15, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, January 16.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


13 comments:

  1. I would represent the Red Cross. Funny, but Kindergarten Cop is my favorite of his movies. We were driving through Astoria where the movie was filmed and I saw a nice Victorian house on a hill. We detoured and managed to find it. It was for sale. We stopped at a realtor to get information on it, but my husband was still active duty and stationed in California. Imagine my surprise when we saw the movie and it was the house they used for the home of the little boy and his mom. The movie was filmed after we saw the house and had been painted a different color. It was exactly the kind of house we had always dreamed of and the inside was even nicer than I imagined.
    My Bar-B-Q sauce choice would be Smoked Bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say Médecins Sans Frontières - Doctors Without Borders.

    TRUE LIES is hilarious.

    Not a fan of any sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not sure. a few but not many. all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wounded Warriors.....No fav movie of the Arnold....I would love to try all four favors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would donate to the hospital that I worked at in Kitchener , Ontario.
    I enjoyed Kindergarten Cop, so funny.
    BBQ Honey Garlic is NY favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would represent an animal charity.
    I do like Kindergarten Cop.
    I like Sweet Baby Ray's

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd donate to The Wounded Warriors Project & St Jude's Children's Hospital. I'd love to try the Smoked Bacon.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could do a local charity I'd do one of the local animal rescues. If it had to be a national one I'd probably do Wounded Warriors Project.

    I think True Lies is probably my favorite Arnold movie.

    I would love to try all of the sauces, but if I could only chose one it would be the Original Pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The movie Twins was an instant classic, Arnold and Danny Devito did awesome together. The Lightly Roasted Kona Coffee BBQ sounds very interesting, I think it would pair well with a variety of meats!
    jlammers002 at woh dot rr dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Twins Terminator 1 2 good
    True lies
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure the charity would be a no kill shelter. I like Arnold in the Terminator movies. My husband use to buy this hot sauce from someone he worked for whose family made it. He would get a case of it (from another state) but they both got laid off and he left the state so still trying to find something we like as much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would support St. Jude's hospital for children with cancer.
    I'm really not a fan of Arnold movies but did enjoy Twins.
    I like sweet baby rays BBQ sauce but I enjoy others as well.

    ReplyDelete