Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Aloha to Cozy Mysteries, Book Clubs, and Books With A Past




I am a frequent shopper at Books With A Past in Glenwood, MD.  From its website (link), 

Books With A Past was opened in 1996 by Marvin and Mary Alice Schaefer. Over the first few years, the Schaefers expanded from a small 1400-square-foot store with 7,000 volumes to a 4,200-square-foot, 100,000 volume size. In December 2009, the Schaefers sold Books With A Past, name and all, to Erin Matthews. Erin is an avid reader who has wanted to own a bookstore since she was 15. She is grateful to the Schaefers and to the local community who have made this dream possible.


Erin noticed that I indulge in cozy mysteries ... and she asked me to host a monthly "Cozy Mystery Book Club" in the satellite shop at Savage Mill.  We agreed upon the first Sunday at 3 pm ... with the kick off on Sunday, February 5.  Hey, that's Super Bowl Sunday!   So here's my promo:

Books With A Past is kicking off the Cozy Mystery Book Club on Sunday, February 5, 3 pm at Savage Mill.  For our first meeting, we'll celebrate what makes cozy mysteries so ... super.  We'll share our favorite themes - cooking, sewing, home renovation, etc. Then we'll select our featured book for discussion in March.  No party is complete with light refreshments and giveaways!

The Cozy Mystery Book Club will meet on the first Sunday at 3 pm at Book With A Past in Savage Mill.  For more information, contact:

Books With a Past - Glenwood: 410-489-2705
Books With a Past - Savage Mill: 443-753-3131

Kim Lowe - Coordinator: sos.aloha@yahoo.com.


I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter. To enter the giveaway,

1. Can you recommend any cozy mysteries?  Do you have any advice about coordinating a book club?  What refreshments are you serving for Super Bowl?

2. Comments are open through Sunday, January 22, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3. I'll post the winner on Monday, January 23.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Image result for cozy mysteries


14 comments:

  1. I do enjoy a cozy mystery every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a tote bag of cozy mysteries I haven't been able to get to. It is a selection of different series and authors. I have only read a few cozy mysteries, so can't say which I like best. A big thing for me is when they include recipes.
    SuperBowl Sunday usually means lots of snacks: chicken wings, sausage balls, chips and dip, veggies, cheese and crackers, chips and salsa, little smoke sausages, and whatever else I can throw out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the book club. How are you planning on which book to read next? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have nt read many mysteries
    Chips dip,
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to a Super Bowl party.....I just help eat the food!

    I enjoy Diane Harmon -- cozies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the fat cat cozies. For super bowl we do pretty much fancy snake items.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best recommendation for cozy mysteries is don't read a foodie one without access to food. 😉 it's even awhile since I've read any cozies. As far as Superbowl food, I haven't thought that far ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Rhys Bowens' Her Royal Spyness series (takes place in the 1920's-1930's) and features Lady Georgie who is 30 something places in line to the throne of England. She is not a wealthy aristocrat & always seems to run into dead bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jana DeLeon writes a lot of my favorites.

    We used to do our book club at the local library, so we didn't have to worry about refreshments. If a book had a set of questions at the end, we used those. Ours wasn't a group of friends, but we were all connected to the facilitator.

    Our local library carries a "book club in a bag" with a set of books in a tote bag for a club to borrow at once.

    As for the Super Bowl, I usually just make food for my guys: wings, chicken tenders, chili dip and cheese, etc... stuff they like, but it's easy for me to heat up.

    denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of my favorite cozy mysteries are the Lily Bard series by Charlaine Harris, the White House Chef Mystery series by Julie Hyzy, and the Deborah Knott Mysteries by Margaret Maron

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been away for quite some. Happy New Year to all. I have never read a cozy but the foodie ones interest me, Cleo Coyle and some of the baking ones. LOL.

    Patoct

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've come to appreciate cozy mysteries, especially when they are set in the past or have a slight element of the supernatural like ghosts. I just wish more of them were available on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to Erin for achieving her dream. There's something magical about being in a bookstore.

    Cosy mysteries are fun. I enjoyed Maggie Toussaint's cozy mystery, "Death Island Style."

    :) Enjoy, Kim!
    Sincerely,

    Diana Cosby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the new book club, Erin & Kim.

    ReplyDelete