Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Aloha to UNFORGETTABLE with Heather Ashby and Christopher Bergeron

 

Thanks for inviting me today, Kim. I’m so happy to share my stories about healing with your readers, both military and civilian. In February, a woman approached my table at the Amelia Island Book Festival here in Florida and thanked me for the healing properties in my books. She said she was a physician in the Washington, D.C. area and that she recommends Book 2 in my “Love in the Fleet” series, Forget Me Not, to her military couples dealing with PTSD. My jaw dropped and the following words echoed in my head: Mission accomplished.

She mentioned that not only were there psychological steps to healing in the book, but “it is told in story form, not preaching to the reader. And it appeals to female and male readers—both the romance and the military action. Plus, much of it is told from a male point of view.” Not only have I spent a lot of time around military men—my retired Navy husband being one of them—but the military advisers for all my books are male. One recently said, “You’ve created a new genre, Heather: The technically-correct-modern-warfare-self-help-romance novel.”

22694757

Book 4 in my series, Unforgettable, is co-authored by a retired Marine, Major Christopher Bergeron. Chris was the advisor on Book 3, Never Forget, as well. Both books take place aboard USS New York and feature a Marine gunnery sergeant with PTSD forged in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, a place where Chris served. I mentioned to him that 90% of romance novels are read by women. He smiled and added, “Yes, and 90% of the people who get guys to seek help for their PTSD are their wives. We gotta’ write these books.”

Our Marine protagonist and his issues are introduced in Never Forget and he is healed in Unforgettable by a hypnotherapist. Before you scoff, let me explain. 9/11 occurred a month after the unexpected death of my only sibling. My Army son left for war several months later, and I assumed care of my eccentric, elderly mother—while I was teaching elementary school. I resumed smoking cigarettes, a habit I had kicked twenty years earlier. After my son was safely home and the dust had settled, I went to a hypnotherapist as I had become a completely addicted smoker again. She not only removed smoking from my life in one day, but healed all the reasons I ever smoked in the first place! My immediate reaction was: “Can this heal combat PTSD?” To which she replied, “Absolutely.” Then and there, I knew I had to write this story. Check out this interview on NPR for more information at this link


The doctor who thanked me at the book signing shared her concerns over the medications being prescribed for PTSD. She said that we need to heal the reasons why patients have symptoms, not just treat the symptoms. I totally agree. The hypnotherapist I saw in 2010 gave me a new lease on life. And I want that for all of our troops who came home with issues. I hope and pray that Unforgettable will find its way into the hands of those who need to read it. And then I can say, once again: Mission accomplished.

I’d like to close with words from Christopher Bergeron’s acknowledgements in Unforgettable:

“Last, thanks to all my brothers and sisters who came home wounded in ways no one could see. I hope you find the healing I have found. Never give up the fight to be you again. It’s the most important battle. Semper Fi to all.”

Your readers are invited to stop by and chat with Chris and me and our awesome guest authors on Facebook at AN UNFORGETTABLE LAUNCH PARTY from 5-10 EDT on April 15, 2015. Click here to RSVP. Hope to see you there! 

HEATHER ASHBY - BIO 

Award winning author, Heather Ashby is a Navy veteran who taught school and raised a family while accompanying her Navy husband around the United States, Japan, and the Middle East. In gratitude for their Army son’s safe return from Afghanistan and Iraq, she now writes military romance novels, donating half her royalties to Fisher House Foundation in support of wounded warriors and their families. Her son serves as her cover model, helping to raise money for Fisher Houses around the world. Heather lives in Atlantic Beach, Florida with her retired Navy husband. Unforgettable is the fourth and final book in the “Love in the Fleet” series.

heatherashby.com
@HAshbyAuthor
facebook.com/HeatherAshbyAuthor


CHRISTOPHER BERGERON - BIO

Christopher Bergeron is a retired Major in the United States Marine Corps, with twenty-four years of service. His ten deployments include combat tours in Desert Shield/Desert Storm; Somalia; Kosovo; Haiti; Fallujah, Iraq; and Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Chris’s travels have covered the globe, including more than twenty countries. He lives with his wife and son in Rockford, Michigan, where he is currently a Communications/Marketing student at Grand Valley State University. Unforgettable is his first novel.


UNFORGETTABLE

The 9/11 spirits aboard USS New York are back! Their mission: help Adam, Gwyn, Mike, and Cate find their happily ever afters—and stay alive. As the only person who can see them, Lieutenant Gwyn Pritchard tries to help the spirits move on to the light. That is, when she’s not helping Gunnery Sergeant Adam Connor heal from his PTSD—or falling madly in love with him.

Captain Cate Hawkins, has run from her unconventional childhood by becoming a Marine Corps pilot. But when a mission in East Africa goes awry, she finds herself in a race for her life. After burying the hatchet with Cate, Navy pilot Mike Nikolopoulos wants nothing more than to rescue his new love. If the spirits help him save her, they’ll finally be free to move on. But can Mike overcome a sudden fear of flying to find his way to Cate before terrorists repeat “Black Hawk Down”—with a female American pilot this time?


Amazon
Nook 

Thanks for in inviting me, Kim. Now I have a question for your readers. What do you think is the secret to healing? Any kind of healing? Could be bodies, relationships, emotions, you name it. I have a $10 gift card for one lucky commenter. Blessings to you and your readers.


Blessing back to you, Heather and Christopher, your collaboration!   To enter Heather's contest,

1.  Answer her question - what do you think it the secret to healing?

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, April 18, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, April 19.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

35 comments:

  1. From what I've seen it involves a combination of having the support of family and friends and finding ways to cope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true, Jane. Friends and family support are SOOO important. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Taking it one day at a time, one hour if necessary. Support is vital as well.
    patoct@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I've read lately that people who live in the past are depressed and those who live in the future are anxious. But those who can live in the present are the healthiest and happiest. Taking life one day at a time is excellent advice. And yes, sometimes, it's an hour at a time. And yay to support. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Support groups, famlit, friends
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Kim. Friends and family support can be so healing. And finding the right support group, as well.

      Delete
  4. Time most of all & a good support system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, sweet, Mary. I forgot about the gift of time - combined with a good support system.

      Delete
  5. A combination of things. Certainly family and friends. Support groups. Perhaps a program with service dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, support from family and friends is SO important, Karen. And I love the service dog programs. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. True friends or loving family. Time and acceptance of the things one cannot change. Hope for te future and the will to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A loving support group and family who are supportive as well. Lots of prayer and taking one day at a time :)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning prayer, Beautiful! It is so important.

      Delete
  8. I think it is different for everyone. Love, support groups and professional help isone road. Time is another but can often backfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Debby. Time can backfire if people avoid an issue for too long. "Stuff" doesn't just go away, so the sooner it's dealt with, the better. Thanks so much for stopping by this morning.

      Delete
  9. I personally think it is different for every person. Sadly there isn't one single cure for it. Support of any kind is probably the biggest factor in starting down the healing path, along with lots of prayer. As for physical healing - that is always time. Nothing ever seems to heal as fast as we want it, though! Great interview - thanks for sharing with us. After reading his bio I realized Chris lives in my neck of the woods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, Susan. Yes, each person is unique in the lives and in their healing, but there's no question about support and prayer being vital factors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Family and Friends. Lean on God. He promises to be there for us. Therapy because this can not be done alone.

    Awesome book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything, Lynne. AND when people lean on God, I've seen Him lead them to the RIGHT therapy and other help. To me, God is a key factor. Thanks so much for stopping by and for all your support. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. forgiveness and moving on!!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO true, Erin. Forgiveness can be so difficult, but in many cases, one cannot move on - or forward - without it.

      Delete
  14. a good support system, therapy, love, acceptance...
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree that you have to let things go and support of others is a big help!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Time. There's really nothing like time to help with healing and giving you some room to accept what has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  17. depends on the person

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think one needs to find an inner peace before they can start healing. This can be based on anything, and will likely be different for every person. Once that peace is found, the mind and body can move on and concentrate on healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOTALLY agree, library pat. For physical healing, inner healing must take place first. It's called "Dis-Ease" for a reason. I call it "Issues in the tissues" too. Whenever I have physical problems, I start looking at what's going on in my life. Usually I'm doing too much and/or stressing out over something. As soon as i take care of it, the physical problem often subsides.

      Delete
  19. Time, supportive people around you, taking things one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sound like wonderful stories! I will be adding them to my TBR.
    I think the secret to healing is love. Whether it be loving yourself, someone loving you, loving someone else. In my opinion, it can do amazing things. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tina, love CAN do amazing things. Thanks for checking out the series. Hope you enjoy them.

      Delete
  21. An amazing testimony that healing comes in many forms. Blessings to you, Heather and Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Siera. YES to healing coming in many forms. I'm sure you know this as a nurse. Thanks for all YOU do to help people heal!

      Delete