Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Aloha to Elizabeth Michels and HOW TO LOSE A LORD IN 10 DAYS OR LESS - Book Review

17796407

"I want to know you, to understand anything at all about you, because you are the most maddening lady I have ever encountered."

He's the perfect gentleman...

After years hidden away from the mockery of the Ton, proud Andrew Clifton, Lord Amberstall, is finally ready to face Society again. But when his horse is injured on the road to London, Andrew finds himself literally thrown at the feet of the beautiful, infuriating, and undeniably eccentric Katie Moore.

...she's anything but a lady.

Katie always preferred the stables to society, so when she was badly injured in a riding accident, she was more than happy to retreat to the countryside and give up the marriage mart for good. She never expected an infuriatingly proper lord to come tumbling into her life--and she certainly never expected to find herself wondering what it would be like to rejoin the world at his side.

They couldn't be more different, and soon Andrew and Katie find themselves at odds about everything but the growing passion between them...and a keen awareness of a threat that may end their unconventional romance before it has even begun.


Horseback riding at Turtle Bay,  Oahu's North Shore

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill 

Elizabeth Michels continues her trademark humor HOW TO LOSE A LORD IN 10 DAYS OR LESS, Book 3 of the Tricks of the Ton series.   Both hero and heroine have a long history with horses, but recent events have taken them away from what they love.   Lord Andrew Amberstall fled from the ton after a disastrous exhibition where his prize horse, Shadow's Light, demonstrates his amorous intentions rather than his celebrated speed. After hiding away in Scotland for a year, Amberstall is called home by his widowed mother to tend to his failing estate. 

Shortly after he crosses the English border, he discovers two ruffians following him.  As he tries to evade them, Amberstall literally stumbles across Miss Katie Moore - he injures Shadow's Light and destroys Katie's pottery wheel.   Despite their unconventional introduction, Katie stables the horse to recover and invites Amberstall to the manor house.   Alas, Katie lives in the gardener's cottage, leaving Amberstall on his own once again.   

As Shadow's Light mends from Katie's care, Amberstall sees his privileged life in a different light.   His extended stay with Katie brings him into contact with characters from the first two books - MUST LOVE DUKES and DESPERATELY SEEKING SUZANNA - bringing the storyline back to why Amberstall fled to Scotland in the first place.   Likewise, Katie reveals the highlights (and low points) of her life that lead to her lonely existance in the estate cottage.   Amberstall and Katie are two souls set adrift - fate brings them together to forge a strong union in the face of danger.  

HOW TO LOSE A LORD IN 10 DAYS OR LESS is a lighthearted romp with Regency pomp.  I laughed throughout this book - who knew that the French hopped around the room in between dinner courses?   HOW TO LOSE A LORD IN 10 DAYS OR LESS is an amusing addition to the Tricks of the Ton trilogy.

I received an ARC from Sourcebooks for an honest review.

Mules bring tourists from "topside" to
Kalapaupa's leper colony on Moloka'i

I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash, including several titles from Sourcebooks, to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about the movie HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS with Kate Hudson and Matthew Mcconaughey - have you seen it?

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, July 12, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, July 13.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Elizabeth and her books at elizabethmichels.com.

1758648817586489

34 comments:

  1. No.....I'm not a Matthew or Kathryn fan. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KIm!

    I'm so glad that your featuring Elizabeth's latest release because I loved her first two books and didn't realize that How to Lose a Lord in 10 Days or Less had been released the being of the month! Her books are so much fun to reed!

    My husband and I both loved watching Kate and Matthew in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days! We've been married for 44 years and we still remember when we first met each other and got laughing at some of the scenes that reminded us how clueless we were all those years ago! It's amazing that sometimes the one person you never would think is the one for you ends up being the most important person in your life!

    PS: Hope you're having beautiful weather in Baltimore and enjoying summer with the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to win some of your stash. And yes I have seen the movie and it wasn't too bad actually.

    Pat L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like that movie. That was super cute. My favorite character was the clingy friend who lost the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen that movie a few times and I think it's a good romantic comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes and I enjoyed it. I like Kate Hudson and thought they made a cute couple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed that movie but like kate and matt together....mahalo! Mickey mac

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm afraid I haven't seen it but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this movie. I've seen it several times and will usually stop to watch it if I find it on TV. I love romantic comedies so this book sounds perfect for me. :)

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  10. L did like it, chick flock
    Cool with basketball game in the background
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen that movie, nor have I read any books by this author. I will have to add that to my mile-long to-do list! Thanks for the review and spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen the movie. I'm actually not really into romance movies or comedies. I do like horror movies though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, I haven't seen it either, but I have heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not seen the movie, but I've liked both the actors in other films.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't seen the whole movie, just parts when my daughter had it on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've not seen it but I like both of those actors so will have to watch it soon. I bet it's a good one :)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw that movie quite a while ago. The three things I remember about it were the family card game Bulls**t, the dead apartment plant, and the concluding ball scene with all of those gorgeous diamonds floating around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw the movie and laughed all the way through it. It was cute and light hearted and certainly entertaining. I would love to read this book and will be looking it up! TY for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't watch many movies. I read a lot and watch the ballgames.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have not... weird thing about me... I love reading about romance, love rom coms, but I rarely watch rom com movies... dunno why... but I prefer sci fi/action flicks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. No, not the kind of movie I watch. I much prefer reading to watching movies unless it's fantasy. Or a Disney carton!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not a huge Matt McC fan, but I have seen the movie. I enjoyed the Heathe Ledger movie better with a similar name.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No, I haven't seen this movie. The book sounds like a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've seen it, and it's mostly a pretty cute movie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't seen it, but it's on my to-watch list (which is almost as long as my to-read list).

    I'm reading this book right now (for review) and am enjoying it... of course, I'm also partial to historicals.

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I have seen it, but it's been a while - maybe I should watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've only seen bits and parts of the movie on tv re-runs. Maybe next time I'll actually watch the whole thing! Elizabeth's book sounds like so much fun, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have seen the movie. It was cute. I like Matthew.
    Natalie's Mama

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have seen it and loved it. Full of clichees. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  30. I luuuurve it! One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I watched that one long time ago. From what I remember it was a good rom-com and it had some funny moments.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think I have only seen bits and pieces of it.
    Cuzie D.

    ReplyDelete