Sunday, July 6, 2014

Aloha to Michele Summers and FIND MY WAY HOME

18509640

Debut author Michele Summers joins me today for an interview that hits home for me.  From her bio,

Michele Summers writes funny romances set in small Southern towns with sassy heroines, witty heroes and wacky, small-town characters, along with a satisfying happily ever after. Michele started her fiction writing career after Hurricane Wilma hit Miami and she was without power for over a week. Bored to tears, she scrounged for a legal pad and pen, and with the help of a trusty flashlight, started writing. Thrilled to have found another creative outlet, she's been writing ever since, when she's not working as an interior designer, personal chef, playing tennis, or raising her two great kids. Presently,she resides in North Carolina where she grew up with her family, but she still misses sunny South Florida, swaying palm trees and wearing open-toed shoes...everyday! 


Image of Michele Summers

Kim:  I grew up in Coral Gables but moved to Clearwater for high school. What do you miss about "sunny South Florida", i.e., what is your favorite sight, sound, and smell from Miami Dade? 

Michele:  Awwww, you’re killing me! A girl after my own heart. I know most would imagine I’d say the beach, but that’s not what I miss the most. The Royal Palms that lined my street and the full moon right outside my front window. The blooming pink and purple bougainvillea’s and Poinciana trees with their red-orange flowers. I miss playing tennis almost daily. And wearing Havaianas, literally ninety percent of the time. I miss drinking Cuban coffee; even though I didn’t indulge every day…I liked knowing that pick-me-up was right around any corner. The sounds my kids would make swimming in the pool and my daily drive down historic Old Cutler Road. I could go on and on about the food, shopping, my friends…I’m sure you wished you’d never asked. ;-)

Kim:  How was your transition from big city Miami to small town North Carolina? 

Michele:  I’m originally from NC, but haven’t lived here for years so I’m still in transition. I like to drive fast and hate long stop lights. In Miami, a yellow light means, floor it! In NC…I’d likely rear end the person slowing down to stop in front of me. Winters are tough for me. Barren trees, gray skies, freezing cold, lots of snow…so not happy with that weather. But my daily rabbit-route takes less time and my kids love being with their cousins.

Kim: Who or what helped you along the path to publishing? 

Michele:  Belonging to RWA and my two chapters in NC and S. Florida has provided the most useful information and support. There’s definitely a huge learning curve in this ever-changing business and having those groups to rely on for answers has been immeasurable. Also, my critique partner has been a rock and very helpful with all things publishing.

Kim:  What inspired FIND YOUR WAY HOME

Michele:  My love of interior design and my love of tennis for starters and then my experience with moving from a place I called home to one I wasn’t so sure about. Lots of angst, nail-biting and hair-pulling goes along with a big move and I’ve experienced my fair share.

Kim:  What's next for Michele Summers

Michele:  Not So New in Town will be coming out in January, 2015, the second book in the Harmony Homecomings series. Bertie’s good friend, Lucy Doolan returns home (unwillinging…imagine that!) to help out her demanding step-sister on bed rest. This one is chock full of love, laughs and small town fun.

And I’m presently writing the third in the series about Katie McKnight, a location scout from California, who discovers Harmony and spies the perfect house needed for the next teenage-horror-mini-series. Laughter and love bloom as kids and pets are wrestled and someone discovers a new home.

I hope you’ll check out my new series and visit me at michelesummers.com. I’d love to hear from you.

Facebook: link
Twitter: link
Goodreads: link
Pinterest: link

Your S. Florida partner in crime…

Michele Summers

Savage's Manor House - I wonder how it is decorated ...

Sourcebooks is giving away a print copy of FIND MY WAY HOME, Book 1 in the Harmony Homecoming series, to one randomly selected commenter:  

She's just the kind of drama 

Interior designer Bertie Anderson has big dreams for her career, and they don't include being stuck in her hometown of Harmony, North Carolina. One last client, and Bertie is packing up her high heels and heading for her dream job in Atlanta. But her plans are derailed by the gorgeous new owner of that big old Victorian she's always wanted to renovate...

He's vowed to avoid

For retired tennis pro Keith Morgan, Harmony is a far cry from fast-paced Miami-which is exactly the point. Keith is starting a new life for himself and his daughter Maddie, and he's left the bright lights and hot women far behind. Bertie's exactly the kind of curvaceous temptation he doesn't need, and Keith refuses to let their sizzling attraction distract him from his goals. Keith and Bertie both have to learn that there's more than one kind of escape, and it takes more than wallpaper to turn a house into a home ...


To enter the giveaway,

1.  How would you describe the decor in your home?  Mine is "round the world mish mash".

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, July 12, 10 pm.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, July 13.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Another historic house in Savage ... maybe colonial decor? 

18 comments:

  1. That perfectly fits my house too - I inherited some things that belonged to my in-laws. Things my husband remembers - furniture/paintings/knick-knacks etc. We've also picked some things up from our travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have to describe mine as "comfort all the way".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cozy comfort for me -- but I love furniture and would love to go to the High Point Show....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My house is a little bit of this and a little bit of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Early American and 'crafty things' like patchwork quilts and embroidery art. I have had my homes decorated this way for years...however, the last 10 or so years I have had either/or and sometimes both my adult son and daughter (and granddaughter) "crash" at my condo for extended periods of time. They are all with me at this time in my 2 bedroom condo. My decorating has gone out the window in favor of helping to house their possessions. My condo is now a definite mixed mess with over stuffed closets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mine is college dorm room... lol.. I've moved a bit over the last few years and I haven't really acquired any furniture that's really "me". I'm finally settled and I'm working to change that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our house is a brick Victorian, but we have a little bit of everything inside. From antiques, my mom's dining set and cozy couches. LOL

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  8. My living room is black & red with lots of dragons and also some pine furniture

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kitchen is black, white and beige. All the others rooms are mostly blue and or beige. I would say decor is contemp, just like my reading habits. LOL.
    Patoct

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess u could call it comfy country....mickey mac

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine is eclectic, or a mish mash of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Comfy colonial.
    Patty B 43

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bit traditional blended with specific things I really like and don't necessarily fit the tradiditonal style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love reading about all the different decors. My house suffers from traditional/transitional/thrift shop special! Yep...even the designer scouts the thrift shops. Kind of fun re-purposing something. Thanks for hosting me on this great blog. I enjoyed it.
    Michele Summers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would say traditional. Would love to win this book.
    Marie M.

    ReplyDelete