Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Happy 225th Birthday, United States Coast Guard!


Today is the Coast Guard's 225th Birthday!  From its website (link),

The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the five armed forces of the United States and the only military organization within the Department of Homeland Security. Since 1790 the Coast Guard has safeguarded our Nation's maritime interests and environment around the world. The Coast Guard is an adaptable, responsive military force of maritime professionals whose broad legal authorities, capable assets, geographic diversity and expansive partnerships provide a persistent presence along our rivers, in the ports, littoral regions and on the high seas. Coast Guard presence and impact is local, regional, national and international. These attributes make the Coast Guard a unique instrument of maritime safety, security and environmental stewardship.


The Coast Guard maintains the Diamond Head Lighthouse

Let's celebrate this iconic birthday with authors connected to the Coast Guard:

Coast Guard veteran:  Sheryl Zaines

Coast Guard spouses:  Mary Blayney, Larissa Ione, and Linda Wisdom.

Coast Guard mom:  Cathy Maxwell

Do you have any family or friends who served in the Coast Guard? One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash.  Comments are open through Saturday, August 8, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 9.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Check out my special post at USA Today's HEA Blog spotlighting Coast Guard romance books at this link.

17 comments:

  1. The closest I came to knowing someone was my mother-in-laws second husband. They lived out of state so I never really heard any stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one friend who is in the Coast Guard Auxillary. I know he teaches classes down at the coast guard base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my uncles is a WWII Coast Guard vet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to the USCG. The son of a family friend is in the Coast Guard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :( no family in the Coast Guard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any family that served in the coast guard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No family in the Coast Guard by my grandpa was a Seabee in the Navy

    ReplyDelete
  8. No I don't have any family in the coast guard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know anyone serving in the Coast Guard. An impressive birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are Army and one Navy in our family. NO Coast Guard but I do admire them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 225th Birthday to the Coast Guard! I don't have any family or friends who served in the Coast Guard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the only member of the coast guard I ever met was the father of a college friend

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know anyone who has served in the Coast Guard, but I think it's a very vital part of our armed forces. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. My niece is currently in the Coast Guard and her husband was formerly in it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know anyone in the CG.
    LADbookfan

    ReplyDelete