Sunday, August 23, 2015

Aloha to Patience Griffin, SOME LIKE IT SCOTTISH, and the Kilts and Quilts series


I have Scotland on my mind ... enter Patience Griffin, author of the Kilts and Quilts series.  From her bio, 


Award-winning author Patience Griffin has been sewing her whole life but didn’t discover her love of quilting until her late thirties. She decided the best way to acquire her first quilt was to make one for herself. At nearly the same time, she started commuting three and half hours a day for her dream engineering job. To pass the time on the long drive, she got hooked on audiobooks—especially books with love stories. Within a couple of years, she was writing stories of her own. It was no surprise to her family and friends when she combined her love of quilting, her small town roots, and her obsession with Scottish romances into novels. She has gained some recognition with her September 11th Story Quilt which has toured the country as the property of the Pentagon. She has a master's degree in nuclear engineering but spends her days writing stories about hearth and home, and dreaming about the fictional small town of Gandiegow, Scotland.


Patience joins me for a cozy chat ....

Kim:  Texas - what is your favorite sight, sound, and smell of the Lone Star State?

Patience:  When I moved from Iowa to Texas, the first thing that stood out to me was how big the sky was here and how blue. After eleven years, I’m still amazed by the big sky and the gorgeous shade of blue when I’m out walking in the mornings.

I love the late fall in Texas when the wind is blowing and my chimes outside my back door are singing to me.

Finally, the smell of the Lone Star State is epitomized in the aroma of Salt Grass Steak House. Pure yumminess.

Kim:  Tell us about the September 11 Story Quilt - I've seen it at the Pentagon.

Patience:  On September 11, 2001, I was home from work with my youngest child and watched on TV when the Twin Towers came down. Along with the rest of the country, I was devastated. To try to make sense of the tragedy, I made a story quilt of the events of the day.

When the quilt was completed, I wasn’t sure what to do with it. I spoke with the owner of Iowa Star Quilts, Cynthia Stary Drajna, and she suggested I donate it to the Pentagon. You can’t imagine my shock when I called the Pentagon, told them I had a quilt to donate, and they said, “Yes, let me connect you with the person who oversees the quilts.” I wasn’t the only one who had used quilting as therapy to get through those early days after the tragedy.

The quilt went on tour across the country as the property of the Pentagon. The woman in charge would send me pictures of servicemen and servicewomen hanging the quilts in their locations—Presidential libraries, big quilt shows, etc. My family was invited to Washington D.C. to tour the Pentagon when few others could get in. We were fortunate enough to see my quilt hanging in the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center while we were in Washington.

For many years, I lost track of the quilt. Recently, while posting my quilts on Facebook, I came across a picture of the September 11th Story Quilt. I took a chance and made another call to the Pentagon to see if they knew what had happened to the quilt. Last I knew, my September 11th Story Quilt was hanging in the National Women’s History Museum. The operator at the Pentagon immediately connected me to the right person who said my quilt was indeed still around. The September 11th Story quilt is hanging in the Pentagon, along the tour route, and had been for several years.

I’m sure at some point, the quilt will be packed and stored away, but it makes me smile that so many people have been able to enjoy a quilt that gave me comfort to make.


Kim:  Who or what helped you along the path to publishing?

Patience:  The list is long, encompassing all of my family, RWA in general, and a few key people specifically.

From the first moment I said I wanted to write a novel, PhD (my hubby) and my three children have been behind me one hundred percent. My children love to write as well.

While I was working on my first manuscript, I found RWA on an Internet search which led me to my local chapter, Iowa Romance Novelists, and then to Dallas Area Romance Authors. Both of those groups are filled with giving, talented writers.

But the number one person who has been my cheerleader and mentor is Kathleen Baldwin who invited me to join her critique group when I went to her booksigning in the fall of 2004. I have been involved in the multi-genre critique group ever since. Grace Burrowes is someone else who I owe a lot to for being my champion. Finally, Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency is my wonderful agent who found the right place for my book and series. She has also answered a ton of questions for me along the way.

Kim:  How did you research for your debut series, KILTS AND QUILTS?

Patience:  First of all, I’m a quilter and have been fascinated with the strong bond within the community of quilters. Our group in Iowa met the first Saturday of the month where we sewed our projects together, had potluck meals together, and laughed together. I didn’t know it, but I think I must’ve been doing research even back then because my journals have little snippets from those times of us together.

I’ve bought a lot of books and have done a lot of reading about Scotland. I’ve spent a huge amount of time on the Internet pouring over photos and gathering information, and enjoying every second of the research hunt. Finally, I’ve gone to Scotland and traveled to many small fishing villages and other sites around the country. It’s incredible to walk in the same places that I’ve seen in the pictures that I love so much.

Finally, I think it comes down to putting it all together in my imagination. I grew up in a small town of roughly six hundred people. I’ve taken bits and pieces of what I know, what I’ve learned and experienced, and came up with Gandiegow and my other villages in Scotland. When people ask me if I have based my books on one specific town, the answer has to be ‘It’s a lot of places.’

Kim:  What's next for Patience Griffin?

Patience:  I’m off to Scotland in mid-September, doing research in a small fishing village and then I’m off on a quilt tour. I’ll be speaking at the International Gathering of Guilds in Glasgow while I’m there. I’m so excited about this trip that I’ve been packing for weeks! While I’m in Scotland, I’ll be finishing book five in the Kilts and Quilts series, The Trouble with Scotland, release date April 5, 2016.


Right now, I’m also gearing up for the release of The Accidental Scot, book four in the Kilts and Quilts series, which comes out December 1, 2015. For anyone who quilts, the next Quilt Block contest will be starting near the end of September which will ultimately lead to us giving away then next quilt by the end of the year. I’ll post the contest details around September 15th and of course, send out a newsletter to let people know.


Shortly, I’m going to start something fun on Facebook. I’m crazy about the feature quilt for The Accidental Scot, called the Gandiegow Hometown Quilt. I’m going to make time to get the quilt started—pick out some fabric while I’m in Scotland (with the help of readers), post pictures and videos of my progress, and hopefully finish the quilt in the next year. Here’s the draft of the quilt designed by Iowa Star Quilts. Cynthie wants everyone to know that this is a preliminary design because she plans to add a thistle applique around the motif. It will be lovely. But I can get started on the Jacob’s Ladder quilt blocks now. I hope everyone will help me pick out fabrics and join in the fun. 



But I can get started on the Jacob’s Ladder quilt blocks now. I hope everyone will help me pick out fabrics and join in the fun. 


Lastly, in October, I’ll start work on the sixth book in the Kilts and Quilts series. I know what the story is about but I don’t have a title or a release date yet. I’m having the time of my life with this series, writing about the quilters and the trouble they can get into.

Kim's picture from Alba

Mahalo, Patience, for sharing your love of kilts and quilts! Patience is giving away a copy of SOME LIKE IT SCOTTISH to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about quilts - do you have a treasured one?  I have three made by my husband's fourth grade teacher (and family friend).  She made one for our wedding, my oldest son's birth, and my youngest son's birth.  She make the final quilt two years after his birth, when we were living in the Netherlands, so she incorporated "Dutch boy" into the pattern. I look forward to hanging them in our new home (we are closing today, transforming us from renters to owners).

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, August 29, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 30.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Patience and her books at patiencegriffin.com.

Check out my review of her Rita nominated debut book, TO SCOTLAND WITH LOVE, at this link.  Stay tuned for more reviews from the Kilts and Quilts series.

18812348

43 comments:

  1. I have some quilts that my mom made me that I adore! I also have a quilt that was made by my aunt that the top is probably close to 100 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Martha,
      How wonderful to have a 100 year old quilt. When quilts are that old, I like to wonder what that quilt has been through. Do you have it on display or tucked away? Just curious...
      Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. My step mother is a quilter & has made many beautiful quilts. I own 2 lap throws - one is in jewel tones & hangs over my couch. The other was made for my daughter & has pastel colors & little bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sharlene,
      I like to say that Quilts are love made tangible. Enjoy your quilts!

      Delete
  3. I have 2 quilts each made by one of my grandmothers. I helped make one of them, though I was only entrusted with the knotting part of it since I was only 8. :-)

    Good luck with the move, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Glenda,
      That's very special to have a quilt from each grandmother. I have knitted Barbie clothes from each of my grandmothers, which I cherish. My daughter played with them as a girl and now I have a granddaughter who will play with them when she's older. It's not too early to get her a Barbie is it? She's three months old.
      Take care...

      Delete
  4. hubby's grandmother on his fathers side was supposed to make us one like she did all the others when they married but passed away..... he did find an old nasty ratted one on the other grandmothers side of the family that I keep put on a chest in the bedroom...but can't use or wash cause falling apart. want one someday of my own that I can use,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diana,
      I like to rescue quilts from garage sales and estates sales. I have bought some gorgeous treasures for near to nothing. But for me, I think about the labor of love that went into the quilt...the reason I should rescue it.
      I hope you find you a special quilt one day. Or do what I did...no one had ever given me a quilt by the time I was in my late thirties. So I made my first quilt myself. It's an awful mess, but we sleep under it every night on our bed.
      Take care...

      Delete
  5. I wish I had one or so but no sadly. I do like them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gretchen,
      Keep your eyes out for a quilt at garage sales. Sometimes, people clear out the most beautiful treasures!

      Delete
  6. My quilts are nothing special - sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love quilts but don't have any that I treasure :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I've never made one, I was gifted one from Grandmother on my wedding and treasure it by letting my daughter use it on her bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaryAnne, What a wonderful gift to have received on your wedding day. And you're a good mama to let your daughter have it on her day.

      Delete
  9. My treasured quilt is one made by my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karen,
      A few years ago, my daughter raided my fabric stash, without me knowing it. For Christmas, I received a quilt from her that she made out of my own fabric. It was a lovely surprise! Isn't it nice to have a daughter that sews? Mine has made me some wonderful purses out of re-purposed clothing.

      Delete
  10. I used to have a quilt that my grandma made for me but it has since worn out and somewhere in my many moves it has been lost. I loved that quilt becuase it was made from scraps of grandpa's shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela,
      I bet it was wonderful, but you'll always have your memories of it which count for a lot!
      Take care...

      Delete
  11. I have a quilt made by my great-grandmother. It was given to me by my BIL. Congrats on becoming a homeowner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I lived in New Hampshire, and had moved into our very first home, I took a quilting class. Everyone was making a bed quilt, except me. I had ideas of my own...to make several lap quilts, and the teacher was fine with that. I made five and gave 4 to family members in NY and FL. Yep, hubby got one too! 30+ years later, they still have them! If you can, Patience, tuck me in your luggage?
    Nancy Lee Badger, author of Scottish romance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nancy! So great to see you here! I'm impressed that you made five quilts for your class! Isn't it great that quilts can last so long...like the love that was put into making them...it lasts a long time, too.
      I would love to tuck you into my luggage. Here's the catch, I have to keep my bag under 50 lbs. Take care!

      Delete
  13. I don't own any quilts but I think they are gorgeous and have always wanted to learn how to make one. I do have a lot of afghans that my mil knitted and crocheted but to be honest, I can't put anything really nice on my beds because of my cats (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Catslady,
      I totally understand about the cats on the bed thing. We have two dogs and a cat. PhD bought me a quilt on our anniversary a few years ago. We were traveling, stopped at a Cracker Barrel, and he bought it for me because I give away the quilts I make. But then I was worried about the animals tearing up the new quilt...it's white. But you know what I'm going to do tonight? I'm going to put that quilt on my bed and use it. I'm going to enjoy it. And then when it's all worn out, I'm going to make a quilt for myself. Thanks for helping me to make a decision, Catslady! All the best!

      Delete
  14. I have a quilt that my grandma made me when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary,
      How special is that! When my grandmother passed away, there was a mostly finished quilt top in her things that were given to me. One day I'm going to match the fabrics and finish it. There's nothing better than the love that a grandmother stitches into her work. Take care...

      Delete
  15. I don't have quilts. But I am fascinated by the creativity that goes into making a quilt. (Several of my friends make them.) I really enjoyed the story of the Sept. 11 quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, LSUReader, I was thinking that a lot of things go into quilting besides creativity...math does, too. Purchasing all the fabric at the same time from the same dye lot is important which I have found out over the years. I try to be very careful about my math and then buy a little extra fabric in case I screw up. Enjoy your week!

      Delete
  16. I have a double wedding ring my grandmother gave me as a wedding present. I also have a small quilt pieced by my ex-husband's grandmother's grandmother. His stepmother was going to throw them away until I pleaded for them (2) tops. I gave them to my grandmother to take to the quilting circle at church. Some months later she said they were done and sheepishly said she did all the quilting herself. She didn't like the stitches some of those other ladies made! When we split, I gave him the larger quilt and kept the smaller one. It was simply small squares with diagonal rows of quilting. What is amazing is the blocks were about an inch to an inch and a half. And some were made up of as many as 3 pieces. Nothing was thrown away in the old days. I figured recycled shirts and dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, CJ, My aunt had a double wedding ring that I did some repair work on. They are so beautiful. I'm so glad you pleaded for the quilt tops...you saved a bit of history. I love the recycle reuse of quilts. When my brother passed away, I made a blue jean quilt out of his jeans. I still have his dress shirts and will make a quilt out of them some day. Take care...

      Delete
  17. First off Your 911 Quilt is Stunning Patience, it made me cry a little as I do every time I think about all that we lost that day.
    I don't have the quilt yet but my MIL is giving us the one Her mother made for her when she got married My DH has 2 sisters who don't relate to the sentiment as I do as does my husband. Being Scottish I simply adore all things Scottish especially Books, looking forward to reading your work.
    Have a good one....
    Congratulations Kim on becoming a Home owner I take it you are Permanent Now. Happy Birthday to Duke Paoa Kahinu Mokoe Hulikohola Kahanamoku I thought of your right way when I saw the google doodle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ann,
      It's wonderful that you're getting your MIL's quilt, a family heirloom. I'm very sentimental, especially about fabric. I have fabric from both of my grandmothers that I cherish. My daughter has nabbed some of it and made purses with it.

      Delete
  18. I have a lot of treasured quilts, most were made by my grandmother; a few by my mother-in-law.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have made a few quilts for my family

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your September 11 Story Quilt! It must be very rewarding to know that your quilt has touched so many people on its tour across the country. I am a quilter also and am currently working on a Hunter's Star wall hanging designed by Debby Maddy. The Gandiegow Hometown Quilt design looks great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favorite one from the quilts my grandmother made for us is a small cradle quilt. It has squares embroidered with storybook characters.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have any quilts. I can see how they can have very special ,earnings to them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My hubby and I have 2 that his grandmother made for us :)
    They are very precious to us because she made them with our likes and interests in mind. She's special like that :D
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have quilt pieces my grandmother made - someday I'll try putting them together

    ReplyDelete