Saturday, September 13, 2014

Aloha to Patience Griffin and TO SCOTLAND WITH LOVE - Book Review

18812348

Welcome to the charming Scottish seaside town of Gandiegow—where two people have returned home for different reasons, but to find the same thing.…

Caitriona Macleod gave up her career as an investigative reporter for the role of perfect wife. But after her husband is found dead in his mistress’s bed, a devastated Cait leaves Chicago for the birthplace she hasn’t seen since she was a child. She’s hoping to heal and to reconnect with her gran. The last thing she expects to find in Gandiegow is the Sexiest Man Alive! She just may have stumbled on the ticket to reigniting her career—if her heart doesn’t get in the way.

Graham Buchanan is a movie star with many secrets. A Gandiegow native, he frequently hides out in his hometown between films. He also has a son he’ll do anything to protect. But Cait Macleod is too damn appealing—even if she is a journalist.

Quilting with her gran and the other women of the village brings Cait a peace she hasn’t known in years. But if she turns in the story about Graham, Gandiegow will never forgive her for betraying one of its own. Should she suffer the consequences to resurrect her career? Or listen to her battered and bruised heart and give love another chance?


This is my country,
The land that begat me,
These windy spaces
Are surely my own.
and those who toil here
In the sweat of their faces
Are flesh of my flesh
And bone of my bone.

- Sir Alexander Gray

Caitie MacLeod returns home to Gandiegow, a small village along Alba's coast, after a failed marriage.   The one consolation is her philandering husband died before the costly divorce.   Caitie intended to escape to a cottage of her own, only to realize upon her arrival that it had burned.  Seeking aid from a neighbor, she stumbles across movie star Graham Buchanan.   He often escapes to Gandiegow to visit his family - but Gandiegow is his secret.   Caitie's initial response to her surprise meeting is to write an article about the private life of the reclusive star to jump start her journalism career that withered away during her doomed marriage.  

As Caitie settles into the village, she joins the quilting circle, rebuilts her relationship with her cranky Grandmother, and becomes a part of Graham's life as he struggles with privacy.   TO SCOTLAND WITH LOVE follows a predictable plot as Caitie's unwritten article will come back to haunt her.   Yet this contemporary romance novel is full of heartwarming moments, humorous banter, and Scotland in all its glory.   Caitie ultimately recognizes that she is one of the squares in the quilt that binds Gandiegow together.

Griffin explores the complex relationships within families and even communities; it is not all black and white, nor bad or good. Likewise, Griffin incorporates the "circle of life" throughout the story - I'll leave it at that.   Griffin delivered a smooth narrative which kept my interest.  I read the book in one sitting.  I enjoyed the occasional references to the quilting culture even though I am not a quilter.  Recommended read for those who appreciate Scotland's way of life.

I purchased TO SCOTLAND WITH LOVE from the author during the RWA Literacy Signing in San Antonio.  


I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about quilts.   My husband's 4th grade teacher (and family friend) made one for our wedding and one each for our sons' birth.   They are her legacy and our family's treasures.

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, September 20, 10 pm in Baltimore. 

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, September 21.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Patricia and her books patiencegriffin.com.

22401463
Coming in 2015

18 comments:

  1. I dont have one actually but they look nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own any quilts, but I've seen some really nice ones during my travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one thing I always wanted to learn to do but never did. I use to do all kinds of crafty things but the internet seems to take up my spare time now. Having cats, I'd be afraid to put a nice quilt on my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any quilts either but they are really pretty.
    Patty B 43

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember we had a quilt bought from a department store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me neither.
    Covers on these books are so pretty.
    Patoct

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have bought quilt not made one
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some beautiful quilts that my mom made for me! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always have thought quilts are wonderful. When I was a little girl, my bedspread was a quilt top that was made by my grandmother. Unfortunately, it has never been quilted. My mother recently gave it to me, and it will be a prized possession.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No one in my family quilts. I wish I had the patience. I am in awe of the work & the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always appreciated quilts, but never learned how to make them. I've seen some made out of old tshirts that are really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Learning to make quilts is on my to-do list of life. I have a good friend who's going to start teaching my this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother-in-law is a huge quilter. She has made us one for our wedding, and one each for our 4 kids. I also have the one she made for my hubby when he was little. They are very special!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My grandmother made my a big quilt when i was a little girl and its now over my couch :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made a Tshirt quilt last year. it took me 6 months because i am procrastinator but it got it done and it looks pretty nice. I plan to make another one using all of my gray tshirts. Hey, it cleared out 2 drawers! mardox@consolidated.net

    ReplyDelete