Sunday, September 14, 2014

Celebrate USAF's Birthday with Showtime Book Trailers


Last week, hubby and I enjoyed a mini-vaca in the Boston area. We stopped by Hanscom AFB - my first assignment in the Air Force.  I've posted pictures on my travel blog at this link. Walking around the base brought back many memories, including many adventures with fellow Lieutenant, Laurel Kelly!  She 
is the creative force behind Showtime Book Trailers.  Laurel created a special trailer to celebrate the USAF's 67th Birthday on September 18.

image
Link to Birthday trailer

Laurel joins me today for a cozy chat ...

Kim:  Can you share a favorite memory from your time in the Air Force? 

Laurel:  My childhood was spent on military bases and I have such fond memories of those times! In general, I just always recall feeling so safe, like nothing bad could happen to me on a base! One of my favorite memories is the huge 4th of July celebration that was always held on "the oval" on the old base side of Plattsburgh Air Force Base. To me, it seemed like a huge night time picnic and the fireworks themselves were truly top-notch!

Kim:  What are some of your favorite books that you enjoyed throughout your travels with the Air Force?

Laurel:  Early on, my Mom taught me to read and from there I always loved books. At every base, I would immediately pester my Mom to bring me to the library so I could get started exploring those wonderful shelves. I remember actually winning a book reading contest at Mountain Home Air Force Base; and I think I read something like 200 books in a quarter - I still have the medal I won. My parents also told me years later that the librarian called them up to see if it was OK for me to start reading select adult books, because I'd read everything in the children's and young adult section. My all time favorite author is Stephen King - especially his early stuff. I also enjoyed Dominick Dunne's work, and Philippa Gregory's books almost always hold my interest - when I was younger, Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt were favorites as well. Oh, and I also read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with Greek mythology. :-)

Kim:  I know you are a movie buff - what are some standout film scripts and/or actors?

Laurel:  I do love film, and find inspiration for my book trailers in my favorite movie moments. Some of my favorite movies are:

Ben Hur
Excalibur
Last of the Mohicans
Tootsie
Animal House
No Way Out
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Julia
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Star Trek (the prequel movie helmed by JJ Abrams) - I am a big original Star Trek series fan

Kim:  Tootsie !  I watched in "on demand" on our flight from Korea to China last summer. The Asians were curious as to why I was laughing out loud.   Back to our interview ... how do you transform a book blurb into a book trailer?

Laurel:  In addition to film, I also love movie soundtracks. So, when I am initially approached to create a book trailer, the details from the consultation almost immediately bring imagery and sound to mind and harken back to my film roots and I think something like...I see a sweeping "Age of Innocence" type scenario, with ballgowns swirling by and Regency type music with horns and piano. Additionally, I look at the title of the book and author's website or logos, and try to come up with depicting the branding in a new way. For example, I did a trailer for a client who had the word "secret" featured prominently in the branding. I found a video image of a treasure chest that knocked around like something was inside it before it opened up to reveal a darkness. From this darkness I caused my client's "secret" to emerge. This was just the opening for the trailer, but it led to inspiration for what was to follow.

Each one of my book trailers to me is like a little piece of art. I always wanted to be a movie director, and creating these mini-movies of my clients' work allows me to fulfill that creative need that burns within! I LOVE making them and making my clients thrilled at the knowledge that through my work, their readership is very likely to increase.


Mahalo, Laurel, for your service as an AF Brat and an AF Vet! I also appreciate the USAF's birthday video and sharing how you make book trailers.   I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about your favorite movies and/or soundtracks.  From Laurel's list, what's not to love about Animal House?!?   Simply classic.

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, September 20, 10 pm in Baltimore.  

3.  I'll post the winners on Sunday, September 21.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Laurel and Showtime Book Trailers at showtimebooktrailers.com.

Showtime Book Trailers


15 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of superhero movies like The Avengers and the Dark Knight trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The LAST OF THE MOHICANS is a great favourite of mine too.

    The movie soundtrack for the LOTR movies is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Animal House....how can you recreate a food fight like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animal House was fun. Hate to say this but my favs are Sherlock Holmes and Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like romantic comedies. When Harry Met Sally, Sweet Home Alabama, While You Were Sleeping. I can watch them over & over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch a ton of movies (unless kids movies count LOL) but I love Sweet Home Alabama, Hope Floats, A Walk To Remember, and my newest obsession... Pitch Perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soundtrack to The Big Chill was the first great movie soundtrack that made me see the movie. I still love to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't watch a lot of movies, and when I do, rarely note the background music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From your list The Last of the Mohicans has a wonderful sound track. As for movie soundtracks I am hooked on: LOTR is a fantastic one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite movies are Gone With the Wind and Casablanca. My Hubby loves the soundtrack for Last of the Mohicans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the moment my favorite movie is Captain America :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Body guard was Greta soundtrack,
    Thanks
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  13. I rarely watch movies anymore and tend to enjoy action movies when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Tootsie. It was so fun and poignant. Who doesn't love Dustin Hoffman in drag.

    ReplyDelete