Thursday, September 11, 2014

Aloha to Samantha Grace and IN BED WITH A ROGUE - Book Review

18509608


He's the Talk of the Town

The whole town is tittering about Baron Sebastian Thorne having been jilted at the altar. Every move he makes ends up in the gossip columns. Tired of being the butt of everyone's jokes, Sebastian vows to restore his family's reputation no matter what it takes.

She's the Toast of the Ton

Feted by the crème of society, the beautiful widow Lady Prestwick is a vision of all that is proper. But Helena is no angel, and when Sebastian uncovers her dark secret, he's quick to press his advantage. In order to keep her hard-won good name, Helen will have to make a deal with the devil. But she's got some tricks up her sleeves to keep this notorious rogue on his toes ...


Colonial bed at the Montpelier Mansion
Laurel, MD (link)

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. - Benjamin Franklin

Helena and her four sisters lived just above poverty outside London. Then her father, a worthless gambler, gave Helena away to Laird Prestwick to pay his debt. The Scottish lord wedded Helena, making her her healthy, wealthy, and wise. With the laird’s death, Helena became a young widow with financial independence. She leaves the comforts of Scotland to search for her family in London. By day, she is a demure member of the ton.  By night, she searches Whitechapel for her eldest sister, intending to rescue the entire family. Instead, she rescues a drunken Lord Thorne from thugs. Helene delivers Thorne to his residence, never again expecting to see him. Alas, fate brings them together in an unexpected place. After realizing Helena is the “white angel” who saved him, he questions her about her Whitechapel visits. Touched that she is searching for “a beloved sister of a servant”, Thorne hatches a plan for Helena to launch his sister back in society after a broken engagement. In turn, he offers to use his “rogue” reputation to search the brothels.

IN THE BED OF A ROGUE is Book 2 in Grace’s Rival Rogues series. It picks up after Thorne’s own broken engagement – the reason he was drowning his sorrows in a disreputable tavern. His family’s bad luck leads society to think the offspring are as mad as their father. Instead, their father suffered from PTSD following combat duty in the British Army. Helena helps to melt Thorne’s hardened heart while paving the way for Eve’s reintroduction to the ton. Although they share a few passionate kisses, Thorne and Helena do not get into bed – a plot point I appreciate from Grace. She allows them to fall in love through mutual admiration. Grace also delivers several humorous scenes, demonstrating her unique touch to Regency Romance.

I received a print copy from Sourcebooks for an honest review.

Another colonial bed at the Montpelier Mansion

I am giving away special Regency swag to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about beds - do you like them hard or soft?  With or without headboard/footboard?  Poster Bed or  Sleigh Bed?   

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, September 13, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, September 14.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in  Charm City 

17586493

14 comments:

  1. I like a firm mattress and headboards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I don't have my dream bed. It would be king-sized, extra firm and four poster with curtains!!!! Preferably all in wood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until I bought my last mattress I would have said soft, but this one is hard & I love it. It has a small, useless, head board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a poster bed with a memory foam mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a hard mattress and a soft pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a newly wed, I decorated in Early American.... I had the most beautiful canopy bed.... I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Years ago we had a waterbed that I loved, then we eventually had to buy another one but I liked the old one better. Now we have a tempur-pedic and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like a headboard and can do without a footboard. I like a firm mattress, covered with a foam topper, so that probably puts me in the "medium" range. I have a poster bed. I've never had a sleigh bed, but I do think they are pretty. Happy weekend, all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like soft beds. Mine wasn't soft enough so I bought a pillow topper and now it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like a hard bed with no boards of any kind surrounding it or providing a base. In fact, hubby and I share a king-sized bed and we put the box springs directly on the floor, with no frame at all. Thanks for the interesting question! :-) jdh2690@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a sleigh bed and love it. I have a sleep number mattress and like it fairly firm - about a 55 (hubby likes his side ab 30 - really soft). Currently having serious back problems and can't sleep in it though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kim! I loved the picture of Colonial bed at the Montpelier Mansion!

    I probably have the same problem as many others of my husband and I is not agreeing what's more comfortable in a bed! While he likes a hard matters I like a soft one. While he likes flat hard pillows and I like big fluffy soft ones.

    Other than that neither one of us really cares what the bed frame looks like but are more concerned if there are good lights on either side of the bed so we can read for a while before going to sleep. I must that our first bed was actually a single bed and anything we had after that couldn't be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the middle between soft and firm, headboard, footboard optional ;-)

    ReplyDelete