Monday, September 22, 2014

Monday Night Romance with Tracy Solheim - Every Day Heroes


We're on Week Three with our special column for USA Today's HEA Blog.  Tracy and I planned this venture back in July, not realizing that we would land in the middle of a controversy.   So our column today addresses players as heroes at this 
link.

For SOS Aloha, I'd rather talk about the heroes who walk among us in everyday life.   The chorus director at my church bubbles with energy in making a joyful noise.   My son's math teacher stays after school with the engineering club so the students embrace the technology of the future.   Parents lead the Scouts in volunteering with Honor Flight to welcome WWII Veterans at the BWI airport.   

These are the heroes in my life.

Photo
Honor Flight received a water salute upon
landing at BWI airport

Speaking of Boy Scouts, our troop lost a devoted leader when James Robinson suddenly passed away this past summer.  From his obituary, 

Outside of work, Jim was a pillar of his community, taking leadership roles in numerous church and civic organizations. He served as Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster of BSA Troop 424, Savage, MD, President of the Potomac-Patuxent Chapter of Trout Unlimited, a member of Project Healing Waters, and on countless boards and committees at Emmanuel United Methodist Church in Scaggsville. 

Mr. Robinson was also an Army veteran and father of a Marine veteran.  He often closed our troop meeting with a "scoutmaster moment", sharing words to inspire the scouts.  At the Scout meeting following his funeral, another troop leader shared a quote which so aptly described Mr. Robinson:

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pike


Who do you admire as a hero?  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash.   Comments are open through Saturday, September 27, 10 pm in Baltimore.   I'll post the winner on Sunday, September 28.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Honor Flight at honorflight.org

16 comments:

  1. I admire school teachers. It's a thankless job. Both my parents were teachers - I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire my father. He is an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents....they gave up so much so we could have a nice childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire my parents, who sacrificed a lot for us kids and never complained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents. They did and still do so much for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire full time working moms... I only work part time and I know how hard it is to not see your kiddos before they go to bed at night... Moms who work full time and only see their kids on weekends or for an hour a day? I couldn't imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post and points, Kim and Tracy! I agree that teachers and parents are true heroes, and we were blessed last year when DS2 started team sports to have a coach who can be considered a real-life hero--not only was he a great coach, he was a model of consideration and kindness. He led by example!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire our soldiers/ sailors/ airmen (male and female) and the domestic first responders in law enforcement and fire fighting. They selflessly put their lives on the line everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyday people who make it through one more day when a lot of things are against them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. people who do good things for others

    ReplyDelete
  11. My parents, friends
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for your loss and for the scouts' loss, sounds like Mr. Robinson was an inspiration.
    (and I love your 'service' duckies!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire people in the military and policemen and firemen who put their lives on the line every day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have deep respect and admiration for the men and women who serve in the military. I also admire the men and women in law enforcement who don't seem to receive the respect they deserve. And I can't leave out all first responders!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I admire my parents, they moved from their homeland to give my family a better life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I admire all the first responders out there who constantly put themselves and their lives on the line every day.

    ReplyDelete