Saturday, July 23, 2016

RWA Recap - Pancakes with Susan Wiggs and Camaraderie with the RomVets



Last Saturday, I enjoyed a pancake breakfast with Susan Wiggs and the Avon Romance publicity team to celebrate the upcoming release of FAMILY TREE, available August 9 from William Morrow (link).


27213227

Then I prepared for my final panel:

Reporting for Duty: An Intimate Chat with the RomVets (RESEARCH)

Speakers: Grace Adams, Heather Ashby, Julia Day, Kim Lowe, Anna Richland, and Tamara Worlton

Air Force veterans, Navy veterans, an active duty Navy surgeon, and an Army veteran share their military experience to ensure military characters are accurately portrayed in romance novels. The panel will teach writers how to decipher military acronyms, identify ranks from the five services, and safely carry a weapon. 

It was a powerful discussion of how military duty impacts the entire family.  Tamara, a Navy surgeon, responded to my question, "Why do you read romance?"  To paraphrase her, "In 2004, during the Battle of Fallujah, the bodies arrived at the hospital .... (tears began to well in her eyes, then mine) ... I just want read about happy endings." 


Thank you, my sisters in arms, for educating our fellow writers on military life.  

Authors - find someone who bought the conference recordings and listen to this panel.


2244682925320386


After our panel, I made my final run to the post office - I gave the post mistress an extra conference tote bag plus a copy of FAMILY TREE


Blueberry Pancakes
Image by Jeffrey W (link)

I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash, including FAMILY TREE, to one randomly selected commenter. To enter the giveaway,

1. Leave a comment about pancakes - how do you like to eat them?  With syrup? Fruit? Powdered Sugar?  I enjoyed chocolate chip pancakes at Susan's breakfast - yum, yum!

2. Comments are open through Saturday, July 30, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3. I'll post the winner on Sunday, July 31.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City



21 comments:

  1. I don't eat them often but when I do I love them with butter and warm Maple syrup.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes with fresh fruit and sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like syrup, with sliced bananas, strawberries & blueberries. Or chocolate chip with whipped cream! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had every intention of going to the pancake party and....got distracted by something else entirely. I can't remember what now - but it probably wasn't as delicious as chocolate chip pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like mine with butter and syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like chocolate chip pancakes and buttermilk pancakes with butter and a little syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for organizing the panel/workshop!!! GREAT to see you in San Diego!! On to ORLANDO in '17!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just like my pancakes with butter and syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy pancakes of all sorts and usually have them with warm maple syrup. When you grow up in maple sugar country, there isn't any other way to eat them. I used to make shape and colored pancakes for our children for special events and holidays. A favorite of theirs for regular days was penny pancakes. I would slice up vienna sausages, put the little circles on the griddle and pour batter over them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both the pancakes and the book look good.
    PattyB 43

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy my pancakes with chocolate chips or with fruit, especially strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them with chocolate syrup :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fruits syrup and butter
    Thanks
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  14. depends on my mood

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like my pancakes with fresh lemon juice & sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love my pancakes with syrup and powdered sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like butter and real maple syrup on my pancakes. I made blueberry orange ricottapancakes the other day for brunch.
    ladbookfan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love my pancakes with maple syrup with strawberries and cream. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I go for your basic pancakes with butter & real maple syrup and sausage on the side

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't eat pancakes I really don't like them

    ReplyDelete