Thursday, July 21, 2016

RWA Recap - The Joy of Writing and Walking the Land



Last Thursday, RWA was in full swing. I moderated two workshops and I share them with you:

The Joy of Writing (WRITER’S LIFE)

Speakers: Anne Elizabeth, Cathy Maxwell, and Julie Rowe

Best-selling, award-winning, and perpetually positive authors share how they savor their passion for writing while navigating the pitfalls of the publishing industry.

I submitted the proposal for this panel based on Anne Elizabeth's mantra to always find joy. The authors shared the challenges in their lives, both personal and professional. They offered techniques to take care of themselves and inspire the creative process.

I commend Julie for sharing the semi-colon tattoo on her arm; it represents it isn't over, just at a pause.

176837782624235923366562

Walking the Land: Building a World That Makes Readers Feel They’ve Visited Your Setting (CRAFT)

Speaker: Jodi Thomas

Discover how to create the essentials to make the world of your stories come alive. Help your readers "walk the land" with you so they feel as if they’ve visited your setting, not just read about it.


I volunteered to moderate this panel since I admire Jodi and her writing. She uses the western setting for her historical and contemporary books. Jodi "walked" through how she researches her setting by walking among rescued horses, listening to ranch hands, and lifting items abandoned along the wagon trail. She taught the audience (and myself) that emotion comes from the five senses.

246129932577010126721600

Authors, find someone who bought the conference recordings and listen to these workshops!

Readers, where have you "walked" recently? I walked all over the USS Midway in San Diego and "heard" the stories from sailors.  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Saturday, July 23, 10 pm in Baltimore. I'll post the winner on Sunday, July 24.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City




26 comments:

  1. Walked through some of the street fairs that set up on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't done a lot of walking since visiting NYC last year. I limped home lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We walked a lot in Yellowstone on our trip there last month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I have not walk
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to Univ of RI on a tour & I was pretty tired out when we got done. Huge campus,but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an excellent workshop, ladies! I took notes and learned a lot! Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mall.
    ladbookfan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been walking in my daughter's footsteps as she completes her studies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have only done walking running errands lately. On July 30 we will be walking in a parade to honor Vietnam Veterans. I will be with the Red Cross unit. We are having our volunteers who served in Vietnam be the primary walkers. My husband will be one of the Vietnam vets participating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I walked all over my city trying to catch Pokemon LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been walking at a Senior Citizen cafe helping the diners.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been running around chasing my granddaughter.
    Patty B43

    ReplyDelete
  13. I walked all around the Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton NJ (just south of Princeton - fabulous place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do a lot of walking around the neighborhood for exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just the park close by my home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't done much walking besides at the mall when I'm shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAVE NOT BEEN WALKING LATELY, TOO HOT.
    MICKEY M.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haven't done a lot of walking lately because I was housebound with back problems recently.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haven't done a lot of walking lately because I was housebound with back problems recently.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Canno do much walking lately. Have a problem with my foot.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete