Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Aloha to Joanne Kennedy and HOW TO HANDLE A COWBOY


17586464

Two years ago this week, I accompanied the Boy Scouts for Spring Break on the Big Island of Hawaii.   We kicked off our trip with the Aloha Council's Hilo Heritage Trail - this "walking tour" spotlighted the paniolo (cowboy) influence on the town.  And paniolo still work on the island!   Check out my pictures on my travel blog at this link.  

Speaking of cowboys, Joanne Kennedy is kicking off a new series, The Cowboys of Decker Ranch, with Book 1, HOW TO HAND A COWBOY:

His Rodeo Days May Be Over...

Sidelined by a career-ending injury, rodeo cowboy Ridge Cooper feels trapped at his family's remote Wyoming ranch. Desperate to find an outlet for the passion he used to put into competing, he takes on the challenge of teaching his roping skills to five troubled ten-year-olds in a last-chance home for foster kids, and finds it's their feisty supervisor who takes the most energy to wrangle.

But He'll Still Wrangle Her Heart

When social worker Sierra Dunn seeks an activity for the rebellious kids at Phoenix House, she soon learns she's not in Denver anymore. Sierra is eager to get back home to her inner-city work, and the plan doesn't include forming an attachment in Wyoming—especially not to a ruggedly handsome and surprisingly gentle local rodeo hero.

I am giving away a print copy of HOW TO HANDLE A COWBOY to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about cowboys - have you seen any in action?   I grew up visiting my aunt's farm outside Macon, Mississippi.   I was enamored by my cousin's rodeo ribbons.  But I never saw him in action.

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, April 19, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, April 20.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

To learn more about Joanne and her books, check out her website at joannekennedybooks.com.

Horses under palm trees ... only in Hawaii!

15 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any real cowboys in action, but I'd love to attend a rodeo.

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live out in the countryside. I see the cowboys when they go into town. I have seen them in action on their horses. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen cowbooys in real life, but have always enjoyed reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a neighborhood friend growing up who's father was a horse trainer. He had worked with some of the big name (TV) cowboys and had lots of pictures to show for his work. I never met them, but loved to look at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I loves me some cowboys! The strong, silent types in tight jeans and an ambling gait. :-) Yes, I grew up with cowboys on a ranch/farm in Southern California. I went to rodeos and read western romances in high school. Sigh. My roommate in college in Las Cruces, NM was a cowgirl. I still read western romances along with other contemporary and historical romances...they are definitely swoon-worthy. Thanks for the post, Kim! jdh2690@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can remember going on vacation one year, and we went through Wyoming and saw a rodeo there. Several times I thought my heart would stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to one rodeo years ago. Saw lots of cowboys there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only cowboys that I've seen in action, is when we lived in Oklahoma. We went to one of those old cowboy towns where they reenacted gun fights, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only a few times when visiting out west but nothing up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No only in tv, movies,
    Very hot, thanks
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never seen a cowboy up front but I do enjoy reading books about cowboys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm from Kansas so I've seen many cowboys close up and seen many of them in action. It's always nerve-wracking watching them riding big, angry animals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do get to see a few cowboys in action here in Texas and I have been to a couple of rodeos.

    ReplyDelete