Friday, March 27, 2015

Celebrate Little Victories - Liberty States Fiction Writers' Create Something Magical Conference


Last weekend, I took the train to New Jersey for the Liberty States Fiction Writers (LSFW) Create Something Magical Conference.   The two and half hour train ride was a wise decision as Mother Nature decided to celebrate the Spring with snow.  It was beautiful to watch the countryside blanketed in white fluff ... and I was thankful that I was not driving in it.

Upon arrival at the conference hotel, I took a quick nap before joining Kimberly Rocha from Book Obsessed Chicks.  She coordinated a big table for readers, bloggers, and authors at the Kona Grill ... gotta love the restaurant name!   Kimberly is an enthusiastic blogger who brings the romance community together ... I enjoyed meeting three readers and one aspiring author new to me.  I also chatted with Wendy LaCapra, who is celebrating her debut release, LADY VICE.


Chocolate Dessert

On Saturday morning, I played Scattergories with Jennifer L Armentrout, Cat Johnson, and Elisabeth Staab - my team came in second place with our ability to list many places starting with the letter N.   

Sylvia Day  gave an inspirational speech during lunch, noting that our fear holds us back from success.   During lunch, I sat next to Ruth A Casie - I enjoyed stories from her world travels. 

Following lunch, Sylvia hosted a cozy chat with readers.   I asked her to share what she learned as an Army linguist that helped her with her writing career.  Sylvia answered, "Teamwork".  Thank you, Sylvia, for your service!  

I also attended the Reader/Author mixer, giving readers the opportunity to meet authors and complete a "scavenger hunt" of sorts.  During the mixer, I chatted with Holly Bush - a historical author new to me.  And ... I won a Kindle Fire XD! 

We ended the day with a dance party hosted by Kimberly ... Damon Suede is the Dancing King! 


On Sunday morning, I attended Family Feud with Damon, Sara Humphreys, and Judi Fennell.  I left Damon speechless with my answer to one question ... you'll just have to ask him! The conference ended with a pizza party and fond memories of Romanceland.

I am giving away conference swag to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway, 

1.  Leave a comment about your favorite "game" - Scattagories?  Jeopardy?  Family Feud?  Something else?

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, April 4, 10 pm in Baltimore.  

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, April 5.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City 


Blue Hawaiian

19 comments:

  1. The blue drink pictured is a thing of blue beauty. The bartender at the PJ party made me the best sour apple martini I've ever had...without the benefit of a shaker. Loved seeing you at LSFW. I always walk away from that conference inspired, informed & dance-party tired (a conference trifecta). But to answer your ? I'm gonna go old-school egg-timer and say taboo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a card game that we play that's very simple and any amount can play - (for 3 or 4 quarters ea.) - it's called Screw your neighbor lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really a games person & don't play any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love to the play The Pyramid but I love watching Jeopardy on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune on TV. Solitaire for games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim. I had a great time with you at lunch. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monopoly is always a favorite amongst my family. Congrats to you on winning a Kindle Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a really fun conference Kim. Congrats on winning the kindle fire. I have always liked playing Yahtzee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Jeopardy! (But I'd trade it for your chocolate dessert, Kim.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great time. Congrats on winning the kindle.

    I love playing cards.
    patoct

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not any good at games - don't enjoy them or play them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful drink! Suddenly, I'm feeling quite parched. ;) I enjoyed chatting with you over dinner and wish our paths had crossed a few more times during the conference. Now to figure out how to get one of those drinks... :)

    ReplyDelete