Tuesday, May 10, 2011

International Nurses Day is coming soon!


On Thursday, we celebrate International Nurses' Day!   From the International Council of Nurses:

International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world every May 12, the anniversary of Florence Nightingale's birth.


I did not know this until I began researching for today's blog.   Hmmm, what do I remember about Florence Nightingale?  Very little.  Here is a loving tribute

This little girl was to bear no children of her own but to become perhaps the most famous woman of all time and give birth to the profession of nursing as we know it today. In response to a call from God to nurse the sick poor she was to turn her back on love, wealth, society and comfort the likes of which few will ever know to single handed champion a new direction for women of the world and health of all its citizens. This was not to be an easy task.

It was not until the age of 33 that she dressed herself and did her own hair. The family house in Hampshire had 70 gardeners. The girls were presented to Queen Victoria at the ages of 17 and 16 years. She was to prove that the patients in London hospitals died at a rate of 90% while those sick that did not go to hospital died at a rate of 60%. She had one and only one desire and that was to nurse.

In the end she was to bring a health and comfort to the sick of the world as had never been seen nor conceived of before. And to the idle and disrespected women of her time and forever after she brought forth a profession and work and respect and independence never seen before.


Florence is best known as a pioneer in nursing wounded soldiers during the Crimean War.   She earned the nickname, "The Lady with the Lamp", for visiting her patients at night.   Florence reminds me of the nurses and other medical professionals currently serving overseas in Afghanistan and Iraq.  On Sunday, I introduced to a "joint" team of Tarin Kowt U.S. Medical Role 2E ... and they deserve a second introduction:


Pictured:  Lisa, Cristina, Tamara, Maricruz, Tina, Whitney, Stephanie, Amanda, Tawni, and Sherry.

On the night shift:  Joanna, and Tammy.



Mahalo, ladies, for your service!   In honor of International Nurses' Day, I am giving away a book of choice from my RT stash, including copies of Eileen Dreyer's BARELY A LADY and NEVER A GENTLEMAN.  According to her website, Eileen is a "retired trauma nusre" and ....

.... addicted traveler, having sung in some of the best Irish pubs in the world, and admits she sees research as a handy way to salve her insatiable curiosity. She counts film producers, police detectives and Olympic athletes as some of her sources and friends. She's also trained in forensic nursing and death investigation, although she doesn't see herself actively working in the field, unless this writing thing doesn't pan out.



To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about Florence Nightingale, care givers, and deployed women.

2.  This giveaway is open to all readers.

3.  Comments are open through Saturday, May 14, 10 pm.  I'll announce the winner on Sunday, May 15.

Mahalo,

Kim in Hawaii

If you would like to send a care package to the joint team or other deployed personnel, contact me at sos.aloha@yahoo.com for addresses.   Every effort makes a difference!

24 comments:

  1. When I was younger I always wanted to be a nurse. I have two cousins who are nurses and I appreciate all they do. It takes a special person to become a nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother worked as a CNA and then as a Parameic/Firefighter and he had some nurse friends I met. They work their butts off and I don't think I could do the hard job theyr do. I have a lot of respect for the jobs these people do.

    miztik_rose At yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate/respect all the hard work that nurses do because I could never be a nurse myself (I can't deal with blood). Ditto for doctors/soliders/EMTs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger I read Cherry Ames books and wanted to be a nurse, I was even a Candy Striper for a while at a local hospital. Nursing is a tough and demanding career and I applaud all nurses but especially those who feel the call to serve in ongoing battlezones. Florence Nightengale would be proud of modern day nurses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is a nurse and she works very hard.
    She works in Edmonton, Alberta on an orthopedics floor and never stops, often missing meals and breaks. Too many patients to
    look after and never enough staff.
    I applaud and I am grateful our nurses are so dedicated to their patients.

    cenya2 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could never be a nurse; it would just break my heart to see people in such states of hurt. Blood to a point I'd be alright.

    Why I raise my hand to them for all that they could do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nurses are amazing with their commitment to their patients and their care. Don't enter me for Eileen's books, I already have them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim--I'm particularly honored to be included in this giveaway, not just because you honor my sisters and brothers who are still out there fighting the good fight all across the world, but especially for my military 'kin', who devote their lives--and risk them--for our soldiers. I actually became a nurse to go to Vietnam, where my brother was serving. Sadly, I was too young, and too old to help in these wars. But I have a special place in my heart for those who have served so faithfully. In fact, the book that earned me my place in the RWA Hall of Fame is a tribute to military nurses, A SOLDIER'S HEART, and I'm damn proud of it. Mahalo

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nurses work is one of the most honorable jobs I can think of, I personally do not think I could handle it, I am not sure if I lost someone because of say a order I followed wrong after being given by a doctor that I could life with the guilt ! I take my hat of for each every nurse out there you mean just as much to as the soldiers fighting for justice !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too was a candy striper as a child and wanted to be a nurse but I come from a family that thought nursing was too much of a responsibility (I come from a family that is way too overprotective sigh). My best friend is a nurse and I give them sooooo much credit and to do it overseas and in combat situations, they have one of the most important jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog! Thanks for the info about Florence Nightingale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Post! One of the most important persons in my life is my sister who is a nurse. She is one of the best and I love her dearly. I work in the medical field and have the upmost respect for nurses everywhere. Thanks for sharing with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where would be without our nurses? I have had students do reports on Florence. they are usually impressed afterwards.
    Debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice tribute. My mother is a retired nurse, who went to school when the government sent out a plea for more nurses during WWII. I thought for a long time I would follow her in that profession, but I chose another direction. I still consider nursing among the most selfless, service-oriented, important jobs there is. Thanks to nurses everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post !!

    one of my aunts is a nurse in our local hospital, and some of my friends are nurse too..

    My Gynecologist told me that she only had 1-2 hour sleep in a day..most of her time is with her patients, in operation rooms or in the street..

    wow !

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my aunts was a nurse for many years. When I was young, she'd give us kids our vaccinations. I suppose it was better to get shots from family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too knew very little about Florence. Apart from her fame. I can´t believe she never dressed herself or did her own hair for SO many years. Her calling to be a nurse must have been immense!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have two sisters and a mother in the nursing profession. I admire them so much as it's a job I could never do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting thing about Florence Nightingale. The things you learn. Thanks Kim and Eileen. :)
    I spent a few summers volunteering at the hospital my mother worked at. Of course, those were for service hours I needed for my Health Science classes in HS. It was an amazing, eye opening experience.
    My mother started off as a CNA. She's now a nurse and I appreciate her so very much. She always knew how to cure whatever ailed me. She's like my personal WebMD.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really respect nurses, other caregivers, and those women in our services. I remember a recent book that I read that included a character that had served with Florence Nightingale during the Crimean War. It was PLEASURES OF A NOTORIOUS GENTLEMAN by Lorraine Heath. Great book and great bit of history included.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know alot about Florence Nightengale but I recently read a book that included a heroine who had served with her during the Crimean War (Lorraine Heath's PLEASURES OF A NOTORIOUS GENTLEMAN).
    I respect all nurses and caregivers for the hard work they do. Also, all ot our service personal in the military. They risk their lives to protect and serve for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have 2 sisters who are nurses and my mother and grandmother were nurses too. It's a very thankless job and I could never do it. It's so nice that you are honoring them with their own post today! My hat's off to them too! Thank you all caregivers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My Name is, Paula James from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete