Sunday, May 8, 2011

Weekly Winners and Mother's Day

Mauna Kea with snow

Mother Nature is so unpredictable - due to heavy rain, we have flash flood warnings for all the islands except the Big Island of Hawaii.  The Big Island has its own weather issues, "Snow Flurries & Freezing Fog will create hazardous driving conditions on the Big Island Summits."

We have a flurry of winners at SOS Aloha!


New winners for unclaimed prizes:
Beverly Barton books:  Chelsea B., Tammy S., and Donna S.
Diana Cosby's HIS CAPTURE:  Jeanne M.


Saturday, April 30, The Merrie Monarch
LSU is the winner of the Hawaii gift pack!


Saturday, May 1, Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage:
Ameliad is the winner of Jeannie Lin's BUTTERFLY SWORDS


Monday, May 2, Margaret Mallory's THE GUARDIAN
Estella, Rao, and  Gamistress66 are the winners!


Tuesday, May 3, Susan Grant's THE LAST WARRIOR
Casey is the winner!


Tuesday, May 3, Anita Clenney's AWAKEN THE HIGHLAND WARRIOR
Mary and Catslady are the winners!


Wednesday, May 4, Carolyn Brown's LOVE DRUNK COWBOY
Dani is the winner!


Thursday, May 5,
May Day, Hawaii's Lei Day, The Netherlands' Liberation Day, and Japan's Boys' Day
June, Molly, Sheree, and Heather are winners!


Thursday, May 5, Christine Nolfi's TREASURE ME
Loretta is the winner!


Friday, May 6, Katharine Ashe's ROGUES OF THE SEA
Terri C is the winner of CAPTURED BY A ROGUE LORD
Winnie is the winner of SWEPT AWAY BY A KISS


The base library recently hosted a writing contest.  The winner of the adult poetry is a mom ... and her winning entry is about being a mom.  Janet gave me permission to share her poem in honor of Mothers:

A Sainted Mother

I have three little children
who sometimes drive me crazy.
They fight and scream and make a mess,
on top of that, they’re lazy.

Every day we have a battle
over one thing or another
They seem to forget I’m not their maid,
but their sainted Mother.

They never help around the house,
their rooms look like a landfill,
When I ask them to clean it up,
they ask me, “What’s the big deal?”

Dinnertime is always filled
with lots of melodrama.
They act like dinner came from a troll
and not their sainted Mama.

Somehow we make it through each day
with homework all completed
It really is a good thing, too
by then I’m just depleted.

They go up to their rooms and wait,
each in their little bed
for me to come and say goodnight
with a kiss upon their head.

They look like angels when they’re sleeping
Was it really all that bad?
I watch them for a little while,
then it’s time to tell their dad!


Here's to those who are mothers - the women who nurture and care for others - family, friends, and those in need.    You are No Ka Oi  (nothing equals you).

In honor of Mother's Day, I am giving away a book from my RT stash (all genres are still available).  To enter the giveaway,
 
1.  Leave a comment about Mother's Day - who you want to thank or how you will thank them.
 
2.  This giveaway is open to all readers.
 
3.  Comments are open through Saturday, May 14, 10 pm.  I'll announce the winner on Sunday, May 15.
 
Mahalo,
 
Kim in Hawaii

Check out today's other blog post  on how to support deployed personnel:

http://sosaloha.blogspot.com/2011/05/navy-seal-euphoria-supporting-deployed.html

Soldiers visit Iraqi classrooms

23 comments:

  1. Congrats to all the winners and Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to all the winners.
    A big Happy Mother's Day to all Mothers.
    Past, present and future, you are all special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers out there!!
    I got up before the sun did today (an amazing feat, let me tell you) and made my mom breakfast in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to all the winners and a very happy mothers day to all the beautiful mothers out there!

    Thanks for a excellent week Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to all the winners!! What a great Mother's Day gift for them. If my mom were still here I'd thank her for just being my mom, so instead I'm happy to have my daughter so I can be a mom. Also to her for being a great mom to my grandson. And let's not forget the furry, four-legged moms out there! Happy Mother's Day to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks :D Lovely poem, Happy Mom's Day to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats winners! Another great week of interviews and giveaways Kim. :) Always looking forward to your posts because I always learn something. (storing up on facts in case I will ever need them for a gameshow)

    Happy Mother's day to all. My mother's 1k miles away but I did call her to wish her a happy mother's day and also sent her some lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the win and congrats to all the other winners. I just returned from my youngest daughter's college graduation and will be eating out with my other daughter, my 88 yr. old. mother and various family members - who could ask for more!! Happy Mother's Day to all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to thank my mother who has passed on for her spunkiness. In this world we live in, I'll take all the spunk I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mother's Day to everyone, especially you Kim. I want to thank my own mother for putting up with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to thank my mother. I want to thank her for working herself to exhaustion and her fingers to the bone to fed not only me but my two brothers. She done her damnest to make certain we got all that we needed. Even when I stepped into adulthood and motherhood, she was still there whenever I needed her, from watching my son inbetween her job and mine.

    My boys let me sleep in today. Hubby bought my gifts for them which are books. My son woke me up "Mom I put your present behind your computer monitor." He's ten, and he made a card for me in school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wtg, winners!

    Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to all the winners! Happy Mothers Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to thank my moma for being totally amazing! Happy Mother's Day to all the other amazing moms out there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Mother's Day. Congrats to the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a funny poem! Loved it (and it sounds eerily familiar).

    As every day, today I am so grateful for my mother. Her love, example, and friendship have meant everything to me. For Mother's Day I sent her in the mail a stack of romance novels by local authors, all signed personally to her. :)

    (Don't enter me into the drawing. I'm still reading through my own pile of RT swag!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats to the other winners. And, Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's out there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats to all the winners!

    Happy Mother's Day!

    When I was young, I'd marvel at my mother's patience in dealing with us kids. I knew that I wouldn't have been nearly as patient.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun poem, really enjoyed it. Made me think about all the times I left my room a mess. When I would come home again it was all magically cleared up, dusted and ready to get ruffeld up again. I'll go tell my mom how much I appreciate it now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree that that is a great poem :)

    I had a good Mother's Day with my mom, ending with a big family dinner in the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations to all the winners and I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thank God every day for the gift that is my mother. She is, quite simply, wonderful. A late Happy Mother's Day to all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My Name is, Paula James from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete